Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Grunchy sound when going over speed bumps when its cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 12:21 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Grunchy sound when going over speed bumps when its cold

So the car is a 1992 SC300, 5 speed, 83k miles on it. This is an extremely well preserved, original paint, original leather, hell original everything type of car, always garaged, hell you could sell it as a CPO Lexus if they'd warranty something that old. I have a stack of maitnence reciepts, including a timing belt service at 55k miles back in 2010(I've been driving it a lot more than the previous owner since buying it in 2011).

Anyways, as far as the maintenance records go, nothing has ever been touched on the suspension.

It still handles great, I haven't touched the suspension, still rides a bit firm, but I'm thinking that's mainly from the 18" wheels and 35 series tires I've put on it.

Anyways, my main gripe is a rather graunchy sort of noise when you roll over a speed bump at low speed, or hit a big divet in the road at under 30mph, you can hear seperelty the front, then the rear suspension sort of moaning. I notice this when I pull out of my driveway on cold mornings, there is about a straight 2" drop from the driveway to the street.

Other than that untold racket, I think the suspension is performing fine. When its above 40-50 degrees, the suspension is quiet as a church mouse BTW.

So what is causing my racket??? Worn out/dried out control arm bushings??? This is my first guess, as those do tend to perish with age and miles.
Old 02-02-15, 07:27 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing I would recommend is tightening down to spec the front cross member / subframe bolts, they loosen over time and can cause a screeching noise (metal movement) on hard hit bumps when cold.

These are 20+ year old cars now, suspension bushing replacement is pretty common place at this point. Finding which one is causing the noise is the tough part!
Old 02-02-15, 09:51 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Funny, I was just asking about something similar:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...uspension.html

I have no idea what a "grunchy" or "graunchy" sound is, however. Mine is squishy, definitely some sort of rubber sound, and only in the rear. It does seems to fit your scenario, though.
Old 02-02-15, 10:00 PM
kartel876
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 92 sc300 just the exact same thing only in the front. but all of my old 90s cars make those noises when its cold guess its just old noisy bushings hollering its too cold out to work haha
Old 02-03-15, 01:05 PM
King700se
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kartel876
my 92 sc300 just the exact same thing only in the front. but all of my old 90s cars make those noises when its cold guess its just old noisy bushings hollering its too cold out to work haha
haha...literally made me lol. Mine has been doing the same thing recently. 93 sc400 just rolled over 110k. Only does it when its cold. Not too high on the replacement scale as of right now. Last oil change I noticed where my very small oil leak is coming from. Valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket is next on the list. Luckily i work at a dealership and get employee pricing on parts and labor. Valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket i can get out under $150 for labor and parts. Anyone on here need a little help getting parts at my cost, don't hesitate to shoot me a DM.
Old 02-03-15, 02:12 PM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the same problem , not only when it is cold but also on dry days
i came across this video a while ago and sounds like the solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIH7CBTW_tI#t=10
Old 02-03-15, 06:02 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's bushings. These cars have bushings for the bushings! If you're not having any drivability issues like wandering or tram-lining then I wouldn't be that concerned. My SC400 has new supra LCA's and when it's really cold outside I have the same noise.
Old 02-04-15, 03:59 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gtsfire
It's bushings. These cars have bushings for the bushings! If you're not having any drivability issues like wandering or tram-lining then I wouldn't be that concerned. My SC400 has new supra LCA's and when it's really cold outside I have the same noise.
When you say tram-lining, do you mean the car following ruts/grooves in heavily worn roads? As in if you keep a firmer grip on the wheel it tends to not do this?

Cause my car does this on bad roads, but it tracks straight as an arrow on good roads. I didn't think that was a worn suspension thing, I thought that was a result of running 245/30/R18's. I know my Camaro that had even wider tires would do the same thing.

I figured it was the fat tires causing that problem, but do you think its suspension related? Its not real bad, just kind of a minor annoyance on really crap roads.