Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY: 3IS Spring Installation! Picture intensive

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 03:49 PM
Originalri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent DIY! Thanks!!
Old 09-03-16, 09:16 PM
DSPEED
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone confirm the difference in the front suspension of the AWD vs RWD? I have AWD and want to know if I need a ball joint separator or not. Thanks.
Old 09-04-16, 09:28 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Thanks for the DIY. Here's mine a week after settling on Tein H Tech springs. Loving the ride and handling!

Old 09-05-16, 08:25 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DSPEED
Can anyone confirm the difference in the front suspension of the AWD vs RWD? I have AWD and want to know if I need a ball joint separator or not. Thanks.
My guess is that AWD cars can do without a ball joint separator. AWD suspension utilizes a "lower shock bracket" that is somewhat "C" shaped. Probably to go around the front axles since it's AWD and there are axles on all 4 corners as opposed to no axles up front for RWD. So...my guess, but you should be able to remove the bracket from the shock and the shock would probably be short enough to remove. The only reason to remove the ball joint or remove the upper A arms in the RWD model is because the shock is too long and the suspension geometry doesn't physically allow the shock to be removed without the additional clearance provided by disconnecting something and allowing the hub + lower arm to drop.

I found the pic below when searching. It says it's for the 2IS, but i know 3IS front suspension for AWD is similar because i remember seeing it when i was looking through the various repair manuals.

Old 09-05-16, 09:13 PM
DSPEED
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CLUM
My guess is that AWD cars can do without a ball joint separator. AWD suspension utilizes a "lower shock bracket" that is somewhat "C" shaped. Probably to go around the front axles since it's AWD and there are axles on all 4 corners as opposed to no axles up front for RWD. So...my guess, but you should be able to remove the bracket from the shock and the shock would probably be short enough to remove. The only reason to remove the ball joint or remove the upper A arms in the RWD model is because the shock is too long and the suspension geometry doesn't physically allow the shock to be removed without the additional clearance provided by disconnecting something and allowing the hub + lower arm to drop.

I found the pic below when searching. It says it's for the 2IS, but i know 3IS front suspension for AWD is similar because i remember seeing it when i was looking through the various repair manuals.

Awesome, I appreciate it! I'll post an update when I get around to installing my springs.
Old 04-12-17, 12:16 PM
BayareaSac
Driver School Candidate

Default In need of help!!!! What did you do with the AVS ???

In need of help!!!! What did you do with the AVS ???

Rear suspension (should be the same for all model IS 14+ RWD and AWD):

Check all bolts and nuts that were loosened, are now torqued to spec.

Install wheels and torque lug nuts to 76 ft*lbs.
Old 04-12-17, 12:53 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by BayareaSac
Maybe you can be more specific?
Are you installing springs? If so, put the AVIS back on.
Are you installing coilovers? If so, unplug the units and keep them for a rainy day if you put the car back to stock.
Old 04-16-17, 07:44 PM
BayareaSac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Are you installing coilovers? If so, unplug the units and keep them for a rainy day if you put the car back to stock.
so I have Bc coilovers full suspension and I've notice that I won't be able to put the AVS sensor back on for the front. I haven't check the back due to front not knowing what I should do, also heard that if you don't put the AVS sensor back on it will messed with the Sport Mode
Old 04-16-17, 07:49 PM
BayareaSac
Driver School Candidate

Default I have 2015 Lexus is350 F Sport

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
so I have Bc coilovers full suspension and I've notice that I won't be able to put the AVS sensor back on for the front. I haven't check the back due to front not knowing what I should do, also heard that if you don't put the AVS sensor back on it will messed with the Sport Mode
Old 04-18-17, 07:57 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't have first hand experience but members here have assured me leaving AVS unplugged does not have any negative effects. It will not cause any errors nor change how the car drives. It will simply no longer tighten your suspension when entering Sport+ mode. Considering your new coils will ride tighter than stock anyway it wont be missed.
Old 09-18-17, 01:23 AM
Tyrant32
Rookie

This thread was great to get me started on my install. Just wanted to make a few points clear for all the AWD folks out there. For the front, you do not need to undo the sway bar link, nor do you need to touch the ball joint at all. Took me two hours less to do the second one after I realised this. You will need to make small adjustments to the strut orientation to get the small notch to line up with the notch on the C-shaped rod that links the strut to the control arm.
Old 10-22-17, 09:18 AM
NISX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tyrant32
This thread was great to get me started on my install. Just wanted to make a few points clear for all the AWD folks out there. For the front, you do not need to undo the sway bar link, nor do you need to touch the ball joint at all. Took me two hours less to do the second one after I realised this. You will need to make small adjustments to the strut orientation to get the small notch to line up with the notch on the C-shaped rod that links the strut to the control arm.
Awesoooooooommee!!! Thank you!!

No offense, please learn to edit your quotes and delete the pictures that don't apply to your post. Eliminates tons of scrolling. Just saying. Thanks.
Old 11-22-17, 06:58 AM
Emotionr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Rear suspension (should be the same for all model IS 14+ RWD and AWD):

Check all bolts and nuts that were loosened, are now torqued to spec.

Install wheels and torque lug nuts to 76 ft*lbs.

Not sure if its just a pic that explains everything, or was there a link to a guide/DIY. However, nothing is showing up...
Old 11-22-17, 11:35 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Emotionr
Not sure if its just a pic that explains everything, or was there a link to a guide/DIY. However, nothing is showing up...
The text for the DIY is embedded in the images. if you can't see anything, then your firewall is the blame.
Old 01-15-18, 01:34 PM
TGIF
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

CLUM thank you so much for creating this awesome DIY. Put my half-downs on this weekend using the guidance, and it was dead on. Thanks a million!

Quick Reply: DIY: 3IS Spring Installation! Picture intensive