Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan Coilovers LP or EZ

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-15, 04:08 PM
Nguyen07
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megan Coilovers LP or EZ

from what I've read only difference is...

the dampening adjustments...16(EZ) vs 32(LP)

and the LPs' come with pillow *****....

what are the pros / cons with pillow ball mounts?

Only experience I have with coilovers was on my SC300...had a set of TOMS and after a year they were CRAZY loud...but I was told the pillow ***** were worn out.

So am I better off with EZ streets with rubber mounts?

Last edited by Nguyen07; 01-28-15 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-15, 03:11 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nguyen07
from what I've read only difference is...

the dampening adjustments...16(EZ) vs 32(LP)

and the LPs' come with pillow *****....

what are the pros / cons with pillow ball mounts?

Only experience I have with coilovers was on my SC300...had a set of TOMS and after a year they were CRAZY loud...but I was told the pillow ***** were worn out.

So am I better off with EZ streets with rubber mounts?
I have the LP and I like them, they are much more firm than the EZ. And mine are making some squeaking noises but I found that it was coming from the shock valving as it went away when I had one of the shocks replaced.
The pillow ***** have much less give, so your handling will be much better BUT more harsh AND you must be careful with the installation. If you have to tighten down the center nut, make sure you have the correct size allen key and manually tighten using a box end wrench. If you spin the pillow ball mounts, it wears them out and introduces play, which is the source of any clunking noises you might hear after. I notice most installers do not bother to do this and just use the air impact wrenches. It doesn't really affect performance, but it will make your coilovers noisy because of the extra play from spinning the pillow ball mounts.
If you're having someone do the install and you're more interested in comfort and quietness, I'd go with the EZ.
Old 01-30-15, 03:22 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pillow ***** should be more durable and be more precise because of the tighter tolerances . Sounds to me that Megan's are still crap
Old 01-30-15, 07:34 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i have on a pair of EZ and it drives great. However, i did add on RCA front and rear so they can help the shocks life.
Old 01-31-15, 07:32 PM
Straight6
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the EZ's on mine matched with TRD sways and the ride is great! Hugs turns without problems and the ride is not harsh. I'm pretty happy especially for the price.
Old 01-31-15, 09:41 PM
Nguyen07
Rookie

Default longevity

can anyone comment on the longevity of the coilovers and or the life of the pillow ***** vs. rubber mounts
Old 02-06-15, 09:45 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Nguyen07
can anyone comment on the longevity of the coilovers and or the life of the pillow ***** vs. rubber mounts
When it comes to Megan, the top hats (rubber or pillow ball) is not what you have to worry about. Both are extremely durable and you shouldn't have problems with either for a long time. The problem with Megans is the shock cartridge itself. I've had to replace two in less than 40K miles. The shocks are not the best quality and eventually start making noise due to internal wear inside the shock casing (Megan shocks are not rebuildable and must be replaced when they go).

The first one that went I thought there was no way it was the shock cartridge. I replaced every bushing on that corner I could find, and nothing helped. It ended up being the shock cartridge itself, which Megan sells for about $100, if I recall.
Old 03-19-15, 11:02 PM
Nguyen07
Rookie

Default too low?

So I pulled the trigger on the Megan's - LP series, the red ones.

Just had them installed yesterday. When the shop asked how low I wanted them set I explained that I was still on my winter wheels / snow tires and wanted it as close to stock as possible. I plan to lower it once I get my Volks refinished here next few weeks.

Today I picked up my car and it is SLAMMED. It's currently on 16" with 215/60 snow tires. Rear is tucking about half the tire...front is right on the tire. The shop explained that was as high that they could raise it. This is a fairly reputable shop in my area. They have a drift team and have built plenty of high end cars. Can anyone comment on how high these can go. I plan to pull the wheels off next few days weather permitting and see for myself.
Old 03-20-15, 05:16 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by marshun
Pillow ***** should be more durable and be more precise because of the tighter tolerances . Sounds to me that Megan's are still crap

I recently heard that Megans and BC's are made at the same place... Why the issues with Megan is beyond me. You would think both coils would be made with the same parts...

OP, you should be able to raise the car close to stock height with coils...