Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension clunking - LBJ going to fail?

Old 01-23-15, 06:04 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Suspension clunking - LBJ going to fail?

Hey guys,

Recently picked up a 97 GS300. Mint condition, 120 kms / 75k miles on the clock. Been driving pretty well for the past 4 days, but today as I was braking I noticed a bit of a clunking sound. No feel to it through the wheel, or anything. It was on the left side, and seemed to be from the rear. Drove another few KMs, and it started getting a little worse, and sounding like it was from the front. Parked the car up at a service station, and jacked up the front left wheel. It had a small amount of movement in it side to side.

I left the car there, and managed to get mum to give me a ride home (Cheers mum), just trying to figure out what the issue could be. Being a saturday there are no shops open, either.

Lower ball joint failure going to happen, or something less sinister? Anything I can test?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-15, 06:57 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that would be the first thing i suggest you change. easy and relatively cheap
Old 01-23-15, 07:03 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

I don't have a press and all that stuff to do it myself really
Old 01-23-15, 10:20 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you dont need a press. its just 1 nut and 2 bolts.

if its clunking, you should change it asap. mine clunked for about a week and gave out. murdered the fender, abs sensor, rim.... lets just say it was expensive.
Old 01-23-15, 10:33 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Righto, probably gonna get a tow home cause there was movement, don't wanna risk it really
Old 01-24-15, 01:04 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can jack it up there - it might take you 1/2 hour to change.

Super easy and quick.
Old 01-24-15, 01:57 AM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Went to get it towed back home, and it had been towed away FML. I was told it was fine to leave it there a few hours, but the message didn't get passed on. Up for 2 x $50 towing fees (though I'll try get Caltex to cover some of it) but I didn't have to pay the impound fee. I'll have a look at it tomorrow after work, and see whats got the movement.
Old 01-24-15, 06:45 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For these cars from what I've noticed, clunking from the front is usually either lower ball joints or caster arm bushings. Clunking from the rear is likely rear knuckle bearings on the LCAs.

However, since yours is a 98 with that low of miles, I'd say it's the ball joints. The 98-00 ball joints were bad, take a look at all the posts about them on here. The problem was remedied with the 01-05, but any 98-00 that hasn't had its ball joints replaced should have them done immediately.

Check out those three things and let us know which it is. Good luck!
Old 01-24-15, 11:20 AM
Garz
Driver School Candidate

Lower left ball joint gave way last night. Luckily at a stop sign. Needless to say, tire broke off and did some fender damage. Car has 150,000 miles on it. I'll be changing out some front end parts for sure. Don't put off changing them ball joints like I did.
Old 01-24-15, 06:47 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Garz
Lower left ball joint gave way last night. Luckily at a stop sign. Needless to say, tire broke off and did some fender damage. Car has 150,000 miles on it. I'll be changing out some front end parts for sure. Don't put off changing them ball joints like I did.
Crazy. What year is your car? Original ball joints?
Old 01-25-15, 04:16 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

I jacked the car up, took the wheel off, and had a little inspection.. it seems okay?
However, when I try to move the brake disc side to side (holding it at 3 oclock and 9 oclock), theres a little bit of movement (probably 2mm or something like that).
The balljoint itself seemed okay with no movement, but I'm not really sure what to look for... so what should I be looking for? :P
Thanks
Old 01-25-15, 06:03 PM
03SprtDsn
Driver School Candidate

Check you upper control arm, I had a clunking, thought it was ball joints, turned out to be upper control arm.. Replaced and clunking went away.
Old 01-26-15, 11:10 AM
Garz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ahheck01
Crazy. What year is your car? Original ball joints?
1998. 150,000. Original ball joints. I knew something was up with the front end. I totally forgot about the ball joint discussion awhile back and how they fail. Well it caught up with me. I'll be changing the passenger side soon.

Is there anything else I should change? Thanks for any help.
Old 01-26-15, 01:43 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Garz
1998. 150,000. Original ball joints. I knew something was up with the front end. I totally forgot about the ball joint discussion awhile back and how they fail. Well it caught up with me. I'll be changing the passenger side soon.

Is there anything else I should change? Thanks for any help.
I'm currently in the shop to do ball joints (moog), caster arm bushings (figs poly), outer tie rod ends (moog). I'm also doing the following, which aren't as critical to do with ball joints: control arm bushings (figs poly), inner tie rods (moog). Might as well take care of all of it while under there. My upper control arms are just fine, so skipping those for now. I'm also doing engine and trans mounts to make sure everything is tightened up.
Old 01-26-15, 11:12 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Dad had a look and said they were pretty ****ed. Ordered them today, should get them on Thursday or so. Hopefully I'll actually be able to drive my new GS somewhere haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension clunking - LBJ going to fail?