Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rough noisy ride on Megan EZ Street Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-15, 12:31 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Regarding preload, this video shows you exactly step by step how to set it properly. They use BCR coilovers as an example though.
BC Racing Coilover Spring Change and Preload Adjustment on Vimeo.mp4 - YouTube
Someone didn't read the entire thread. LOL!
Old 01-20-15, 12:48 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Someone didn't read the entire thread. LOL!
Oh my super bad haha I posted the exact same video you did. Great minds think alike
Old 01-20-15, 01:03 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I will be able to adjust the preload and report back.
Old 01-26-15, 11:26 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Finally got around to dealing with this. I adjusted the preload on the back 2 coilovers a few mm. They seem to be a lot better now! On really big bumps, I feel like there's a little bit of noise, but that could be normal.

I can finally set them to a much softer setting and they ride quiet and nice Glad it was a fairly easy fix and didn't require removal or replacement.
Old 01-26-15, 12:07 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Yeah, see, don't judge the book by its cover so don't judge the coil by its noise Sometimes it is not the coils being bad. It is the pre-load, the dampening settings that you choose that makes you feel like it is bad lol. May be you should rephrase the title to make it more fair for Megan
Old 01-26-15, 08:43 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, see, don't judge the book by its cover so don't judge the coil by its noise Sometimes it is not the coils being bad. It is the pre-load, the dampening settings that you choose that makes you feel like it is bad lol. May be you should rephrase the title to make it more fair for Megan
The title is still correct. It was noisy and I am on Megan coilovers. And I don't plan on changing the title since megan has caused me some issues in the past. My exhaust tips were defective from the factory and the coilovers were AWD ones that they had swapped the lower bracket to make it work for RWD. Which is fine... except they screwed it on too far and I didn't realize until I installed them. Which meant I had to do a lot of adjusting to get them even close to a reasonable height.
Old 01-26-15, 09:46 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Aw, damn, that is a lot of hassle. Well, I'm glad and hope everything work fine for you now.

I just recently upgraded to BCR coilovers and the transition has been smooth. Everything has been working great for me so far. No noise, no rough ride, no issue
Old 01-27-15, 08:35 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Aw, damn, that is a lot of hassle. Well, I'm glad and hope everything work fine for you now.

I just recently upgraded to BCR coilovers and the transition has been smooth. Everything has been working great for me so far. No noise, no rough ride, no issue
Haha I feel like every mod I have done to the car has had to be done at least twice to get it proper. But oh well, once everything is working smoothly, it's all worth it.
Old 01-27-15, 12:42 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Glad you got it all worked out!
Old 01-27-15, 02:01 PM
BigWiLL345
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by getafewliv
Just to verify that I installed them properly, when you look at the coilover next to the spring/shock, I didn't need to remove anything from the spring/shock to install on the coilover, correct? Just pop the new assembly in place of the old?

not sure if this has anything to do with it but when did Megan change the from the Blue to the Silver on the strut part?
Old 01-27-15, 05:00 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BigWiLL345
not sure if this has anything to do with it but when did Megan change the from the Blue to the Silver on the strut part?
I'm not sure if this was Megan that did the change or the distributor, but apparently there were no RWD versions in stock, so they took an AWD set and swapped the bottom piece. At first it had me freaking out because they didn't tell me and the box said AWD.

This is also the root of my issues since they were fiddling around with the coilovers. I know they screwed the bottom part on way too far which lead to my car being way too low when I first put them in.