Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BC Racing vs KW3

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 12:35 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default BC Racing vs KW3

I currently have BC racing coilovers and I've been finding the ride quality less than desirable. The ride is getting loud and the car feels like its being tossed around.

Its not that the ride is too stiff. I've dialed back the coilovers to a softer setting, but the ride still feels really uncompliant and unpredictable. It feels like the suspension dampening is not doing its job.

Bottom line, the ride just feels .....cheap.

Another thing I found with my coil-overs is after adjusting the damper settings, the coilovers will feel great and smooth for 2 weeks, as if the suspension is absorbing all the bumps again. But then, as I drive it more, the ride will revert back to a stiffer, hard thumping feel.

I know KW3s are expensive compared to BC racing coilovers, but from those of you who had both or experienced with both, are the KW3s ride quality a worthwhile improvement over the BC racing?

Or should I just go back to stock since no matter what coilovers I get, a lowered height means sacrificing ride quality.

Last edited by panda327; 01-15-15 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-16-15, 12:53 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Unless you will be seriously tracking your car, I'd not see the need to get the KWs. Yes, they are a far superior pkg; but honestly is it worth the price tag? Why not get some new shock bodies? How many miles on your BCRs?

Like you, I've always thought it good to "re-calibrate" the shocks by adjusting the dampening every month or so. Because like you noticed, they tend to "lazy" after a little while.

Have you looked at the "Fortune 500" coilovers?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-IS250-IS350-GSE20-Gen-5-Fortune-Auto-Coilovers-/291001754325?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c10e62d5&vxp=mtr
Old 01-16-15, 01:22 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
Unless you will be seriously tracking your car, I'd not see the need to get the KWs. Yes, they are a far superior pkg; but honestly is it worth the price tag? Why not get some new shock bodies? How many miles on your BCRs?

Like you, I've always thought it good to "re-calibrate" the shocks by adjusting the dampening every month or so. Because like you noticed, they tend to "lazy" after a little while.

Have you looked at the "Fortune 500" coilovers?
Lexus IS250 is350 GSE20 Gen 5 Fortune Auto Coilovers | eBay
I'm glad I'm not the only one that notice the dampening getting "lazy" after a while (as if it settled). I never heard of the Fortune 500 coilovers... are they a good upgrade over the BC racings? I may go with getting new shocks too. I've had these coilovers since summer of 2011, so it maybe time for a swap?
Old 01-16-15, 05:53 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I've had mine since the winter 2011; mine I'm definitely feeling them not being as responsive as they had even been earlier in the year. Perhaps it is because it is winter? IDK, but in 2015 I'll probably be getting replacement shock bodies.

Yeah, I think the Fortunes are that one-step up over the BCRs in quality and warranty too.
Old 01-17-15, 07:24 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

get kw v2 if you mainly drive on the street and occasional track/autox
Old 01-20-15, 05:44 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
get kw v2 if you mainly drive on the street and occasional track/autox
KW Only makes V3s for the 2IS chassis. Sometimes I miss my KWs, car rode like stock
Old 01-21-15, 01:22 AM
DocFreud
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've installed the kw v3 coils. before i had D2 Street coilovers. the difference is really big and the ride is much better. your ride description of the bc sounds like the experience i had with the D2. (some say k-sport, d2, bc are all the same from taiwan.. don't know if that is true)

@reyoasian there is no v2 for our cars. because kw is from germany, and over here we have only very few lexus on the roads..
Old 01-21-15, 10:22 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm looking at 14k/10k bc's on my AWD 250.... I will likely go this route. I here the noises and comfort seem to be hit and miss :/
Old 01-21-15, 01:56 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I find BCR coilovers pretty comfortable, way more comfortable than my lower spring set up before. I don't experience the "lazy" dampening yet. No noise, no laziness, no bumpy, no jumpy, no nothing but smooth stock ride like and predictable handling for me so far. My dampening sweet spot so far is 18 front, and 22 rear (away from stiffest).
Old 01-21-15, 04:29 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

^ Just out of curiosity, are you guys with custom spring rates running BCs springs or Swifts? I just ordered some BCRs w/ Swift springs 12/10 for the GS and curious to see how it will ride compared to the RSRSuper Down Springs I had on before.
Old 01-21-15, 09:02 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will be going BC's for 14k 10k not swift... Some shops I spoke to say swift is a good upgrade BUT not necessary for average DD. You'd think they'd be trying to upwell but I guess the BC's are really good as-is
Old 01-22-15, 01:33 AM
AeroZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BC racing cannot match the quality and ride of KW so if you can afford it get them.
Old 01-22-15, 09:41 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
^ Just out of curiosity, are you guys with custom spring rates running BCs springs or Swifts? I just ordered some BCRs w/ Swift springs 12/10 for the GS and curious to see how it will ride compared to the RSRSuper Down Springs I had on before.
I have the default 12k/10k springs and very happy with it. I can tell the dampening is so much better than the lower spring + stock shock combo so the ride is very comfortable as long as you find the sweet spot settings. It takes sometimes to adjust the clicks to your own liking so don't judge the BCR right out of the box when you just installed.

One thing I can tell for sure the handling is so much more predictable in cornering and also I can adjust understeer/oversteer amount via dampening settings. In general, I find that the stiffer in the rear, the more oversteer and stiffer in front, more understeer.

With Swift springs, you get even higher quality springs.

Last edited by FSportIS; 01-22-15 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-22-15, 09:55 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AeroZ
BC racing cannot match the quality and ride of KW so if you can afford it get them.
Yeah but they are in different leagues and totally different price range. It is like comparing ISF vs. LFA
Old 01-28-15, 02:14 PM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

KW's are absolutely amazing! I've had them on my car for about 4 years now with about 45k miles.
Keep in mind there have been days where I drive ~200 miles and I've never had any problems with them.
The ride is smooth and I'm close to maxing out the stiffness on them.

Yes, they are more expensive but you get what you pay for! I say go with KW's

Quick Reply: BC Racing vs KW3