Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Will the Tom's 6-piece suspension bracing kit help eliminate chassis flex

Old 03-11-03, 02:15 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Will the Tom's 6-piece suspension bracing kit help eliminate chassis flex

I'm going on a witch hunt here... I absolutely hate chassis\frame flex (when your car feels like it's twisting and bending when you go over bumps). This GS400 is a relatively strong car... but not strong enough IMO. It doesn't have that rigid unitized feeling most late-model BMWs give you when going over bumps.
I'm about to order the front and rear strut tower braces as well as the front and rear lower chassis braces from Tom's.

All that stuff will obviously really help cure any existing chassis flex.

What I'm confused about is this '6-piece suspension brace' kit from Tom's. Will this help strengthen my chassis any more? Or is this more of a suspension mod along the lines of a sway bar or stiffer shocks: in other words... something that will improve handling but does it by stiffening the suspension itself rather than the chassis\frame.

Can somebody explain the purpose of this mod and what I would gain by adding this to the 4 braces I'm already planning on ordering?

Thanks a million!
Old 03-12-03, 02:04 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it stiffens the suspension...keeps them from wandering around....in conjunction with the TOM'S lower rear chassis bar, the TRD Sway Bars, and the UGO Katayama CF Rear Strut Tower Bars, it will definitely fix the GS's "saggy ***" problem...

Here's my original thread...from back in 2001!! Damn, time flies!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=28226

This is before I had the TOM'S Type-A (full closed) Rear Lower Chassis Brace put on (the one on there is a Type-B (open end) version...it was before I put on my APEXi WS exhaust...which allowed me to put on the Type-A...
Old 03-12-03, 10:31 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

OK so what you're saying is that it stiffens the suspension but does not stiffen the frame?

In that case I think I'll probably pass on this mod for now... my suspension is fine, I just want to eliminate the flex when I go over bumps, pot holes, and other such irregularities.
Old 03-12-03, 02:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Threxx I have Tom's rear STB and rear lower chassis brace and it definitely stiffened things up. I don't have the 6 piece (yet).
Old 03-12-03, 06:06 PM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6pc impression

I have the 6 piece kit and no LCB. I was more concerned with the rear end walking (sideways) over bumps on corners. It was noticably stiffer from a 'twisting' standpoint when I added the 6pc. Not sure if I would be able to tell if it was the suspension or chassis that was stiffer if I did the LCB.

Basically, I kept adding things until I was satisfied. Only pieces I am missing are the reaer LCB and the rear floor bar. Don't think I would notice much difference with the either. It's stiff enough for me now.

I finally got the rear two resonators cut out and 2.5 inch pipe installed in their place so I can use the Type A if I decide to spend some more cash. Not right now though.

My advice is keep adding until your satisfied, or until you go too far and then take it off and pass it along to another CL member!
Old 01-02-16, 09:15 PM
clintdaddy
Driver

I am bringing this thread back from the dead!

I too am very interested in eliminated the chassis flex over bumps, especially pronounced when entering driveways!

I am conscious of budget and was wondering which upgrades would be the most effective? Strut bars or LCA?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-16, 07:18 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

look here. scroll all the way to the bottom

http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/feature/05_10/bodyup.html

I have most of these peices. I wish i bought the do-luck frame brace that runs parallel to the side skirts. The car handles great.
Old 01-03-16, 04:57 PM
firelizard

Received 420 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by clintdaddy
I am bringing this thread back from the dead!

I too am very interested in eliminated the chassis flex over bumps, especially pronounced when entering driveways!

I am conscious of budget and was wondering which upgrades would be the most effective? Strut bars or LCA?

Thanks!
You mean lower control arm bushings? That won't do anything about chassis flex. Of the two, strut tower bracing is the only one that stiffens the unibody.

No bolt-on bars will eliminate chassis flex entirely.
Old 01-18-16, 06:39 AM
EITELS123
Rookie

It would help if.....they were made anymore. Even the knockoffs have been discontinued.
Old 01-18-16, 05:52 PM
firelizard

Received 420 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by EITELS123
It would help if.....they were made anymore. Even the knockoffs have been discontinued.
Still available used.
Old 01-19-16, 07:54 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by HI98GS
look here. scroll all the way to the bottom

http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/feature/05_10/bodyup.html

I have most of these peices. I wish i bought the do-luck frame brace that runs parallel to the side skirts. The car handles great.
ricky, i have all of those also except the interior rear DO-Luck bar and the long underside Do-Luck bars.... i tried to buy both off the boards for years and just couldn't ever get them
Old 01-25-16, 07:09 AM
EITELS123
Rookie

I noticed a lot of chassis flex too. Replace your rear subframe to body bushing with the aluminium inserts. Affectingly turning you subframe it a giant chassis brace for the rear. Granted it does make it noisy.
Old 02-08-16, 07:46 AM
clintdaddy
Driver

I'm also looking for a remedy for the chassis flex that causes the car to make creaking sounds...
Old 02-27-16, 03:03 PM
clintdaddy
Driver

For the people concerned about which one to get first: Tom's 6 point suspension brace kit or the Tom's rear lower chassis brace.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...e-or-both.html