Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS350 CarboTech XP8/10 brake pad review

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 01:50 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
These pads are meant to be on the track, made for the track, and stop your car on the track You need 2 sets: DD set, and track set. Have you tried the Hawk high performance one that works fine on both occasional track and DD street?
Hawk makes several "high performance" pads. As stated by Gville, not available for the 350. I've used Hawk HPS pads on other cars. They are roughly equivalent to the EBC Yellowstuff. They are great for spirited street driving, autocross and light duty track work, but they are still a street pad and will eventually show their limitations on the track. I'm not sure how a Hawk HP Plus would compare to the CarboTech race compounds.
Old 01-13-15, 07:42 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On Tirerack few days ago, I saw Hawk rear brake pads, missing front though It is kind of meaningless since the front do more braking than the rear on our car. We can't use a more aggressive pads on the rear unless you want to oversteer all over lol.

Hawk HP Plus Race rear pads for 06 IS350 https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...6&autoModClar=

Hawk HPS Street rear pads for 06 IS350 https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...6&autoModClar=

Of course, I agree with you guys that street pads are not comparable to the CarboTech, they are totally in different leagues.
Old 01-14-15, 01:07 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

I ran Axxis Ultimates in the rear and Stop Tech Streets up front for a little while. Didn't notice any issues with the "more aggressive" pads being in the rear. Can I just say that PBR needs to make Axxis Ultimate pads for the front for the IS350! Grrrrr! <--Totally my favorite pads to-date!
Old 01-15-15, 12:23 PM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at the Hawk Race pads as well but unfortunately they were only available for the Rear of the IS350. I did a pretty thorough search of race pads for the IS350 and the only 2 options that I found were CarbTech and Raybestos. Both have great reviews. Seem that they both perform great but the Carbotech seem to wear faster but are significantly cheaper. Decided to go with the cheaper option for the first go around. I have tried quite a few "Street/Track" pads (StopTech, EBC Yellowstuff, Hawk) but non of them really could handle any aggressive track action. Great for a beginner on the track but you will find their limit pretty quick.

To keep the CarboTech review up to date I have been running the XP8's on the rear of my IS350 for about a month or so. I took the XP10 off as the screech was unbearable. The XP8's perform great cold but do make a bit of sound. Nothing that you can't live with but they will always let you know they are back there during slow speed stops. All in all I am going to take them off and run my StopTechs on the streets as the wife complains.
Old 01-15-15, 12:27 PM
Gville350

^Wives...they just don't understand. LOL!

The way I got around the "you gotta raise your car" argument was getting larger wheels. There's the 1" you asked for hunny! ROFL!
Old 01-15-15, 12:35 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@Sportkid, I would like to ask what issues did you encounter with the street/track pads on the track? Are the brake fading? If so, how long have you run before they start fading? How do they compare with OEM? How do they perform on street in term of noise, dust, and durability? What do you like and dislike about the street/track pads? I would appreciate your feedback on this.
Old 01-17-15, 06:09 PM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Here is a quick breakdown of my pad experience.

OEM pads: Good for your first track day only. Day two I completely went through them (1.5 tracks days on them) until they ate my rotors. Really bad fade at any level of aggressiveness.

Street/Track pads: (StopTech, EBC Yellowstuff, Hawk). Was happy with them from about track day 3-6. After that they stared to fade as I got better. As I got more and more aggressive they would only last 5-10 min on a track before they would fade bad and I would have to break super early. WOrked fine on lower speed breaking but as you stared to get into the 100-30 breaking zone they gave up quick.

CarboTech: You don't realize how good track pads are until you try them. The rock up to this point. Zero fade after pushing them hard on stock IS350 calipers with stoptech slotted rotors. Get very hot though which may cause other issues over the long term. We will find out.
Old 03-30-15, 08:05 PM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Well been running the XP8 in the rear for about 4 months now and finally got around to my second track day. The XP10/8 combination on the track is a world of difference between any street pad. So much more power and can handle a 25 min session without issues. After 2 track days the pads show very little ware compared to my old EBC yellowstuff that would last 3 track days if I was very nice to them. All in all I am very happy with the pads.

As for the street manors the XP10 are horrendously loud when cold. No way I would run them on the street. I leave the XP8's is the rear for my daily driving and they do squeak a bit. Not to bad but you can hear them at any low speed stop. With the windows up I have no issues with the noise but might be annoying if you run with you windows down a lot.
Old 03-31-15, 01:29 PM
Gville350

^Great to hear! I'll add this to the list of additional things I need to purchase for my IS350! LOL
Old 08-27-16, 07:28 PM
SydneyAust
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Sportskid1,

Thanks for your post re the IS350 CarboTech XP8/10 brake pad review.

I was very interested in your comments re moving from crossover (Yellowstuff) to track pads (XP10). Having completed only 6 track days myself in my IS350, I too am finding the crossover pads (Yellowstuff & Project MU HC800) to last just two track days (6-8 x15min sessions x 2 days).

I am interested to know how many track days you would get out a set of Carbotech XP10's, and how long the rotors you use last.

I noted in one of your posts that you could only find two track pad suppliers, Carbotech & Raybestos. Just in case you hadn't come across it yet, Project MU also offer a Track Pad RC09 ... but obviously if you find something working for you then you are best to stick with it.

Here is the link http://www.project-mu.com.au/en/products/pad_rc09.php ... this is to the Australian supplier, but I am sure you would be able to find a supplier in the US, like SpeedFreaksUSA that supply both Project MU & Carbotech pads and most likely could offer an informed opinion as to whether they are worth looking at ... a lot of people say they have great driver feel and control ... I could attest to a better feel than Yellowstuff for the HC800, but they were also 50% more expensive, so for me not worth the difference ... Of note I am still yet to use a track day pad.

Finally thanks in anticipation of your response, it is appreciated.

Regards,

Matthew (Sydney, Australia)
Old 08-29-16, 03:05 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SydneyAust
I am sure you would be able to find a supplier in the US, like SpeedFreaksUSA that supply both Project MU & Carbotech pads and most likely could offer an informed opinion as to whether they are worth looking at ... a lot of people say they have great driver feel and control ... I could attest to a better feel than Yellowstuff for the HC800, but they were also 50% more expensive, so for me not worth the difference ... Of note I am still yet to use a track day pad.

Finally thanks in anticipation of your response, it is appreciated.

Regards,

Matthew (Sydney, Australia)
I do think the Project MU Club Racers (RC09 compound) are indeed worth looking at if if they are anywhere near the price point of the carbotechs in the pad shapes you use. On my S2000 I typically get 4-5 days out of club racers at the majority the tracks I frequent (the average "day" being x5 20-25 minute sessions). Comparatively I usually only get 2-3 days out of Carbotech XP10s, all else equal. The two compounds in the S2000 pad shapes are within $15-20 of each other so from a value standpoint the Club Racers are the winner (in my case with the S2000). As far as performance goes the Carbotechs offer a little better modulation characteristics in my opinion, but only slightly and I prefer the initial bite, feel, feedback and wear rates of the Club Racer in comparison. Just note that everyone's preferences and feedback on track pads can be wildly different since they all accomplish pretty much the same thing but can do it in very different ways and different pad characteristics work better with different drivers. For example one of the guys I work with was competing in some wheel-to-wheel events and had been driving exclusively on Raybestos ST47 for a couple years. He's a very competent and fast driver but he started to really struggle with braking as the ABS came off the car. Long story short we advised him to try a different pad compound with a little better modulation/control but close to the other characteristics he was used to (high initial bite and fairly high overall friction levels), he chose the Club Racers and started shedding a ton of time at all the tracks he frequents. I believe the biggest cut was at Auto Club Speedway where he dropped just over 2 seconds a lap without changing anything aside from the pads. It was pretty amazing to see those results.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 08-29-16 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 02:22 AM
SydneyAust
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Matt M,

Many thanks for your prompt response and feedback it is appreciated!

I valued the insight provided in respect of the typical number of track days one might get out of a set of track pads, in this case RC09 & XP10 ... Certainly the longer wear would obviously justify the price difference of the RC09's.

Thanks also for your specific response in respect of track time, it certainly makes it a reliable comparison and thus provides an informed opinion.

Regards,

Matthew
Old 08-30-16, 01:37 PM
Gville350

Matt, any experience with the Axxis (PBR) Ultimates pads? Any idea why the manufacturer (Australian-based company as well) would make rear pads in this compound and not the fronts? I've had the Ultimates on the rear of my IS350, but no vendors appear to be able to get their hands on any for the fronts. I just find that really odd. I seriously LOVE this pad for a daily-driven/weekend racer setup.

http://www.pbrbrakes.com/
Old 08-30-16, 04:40 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SydneyAust
Hi Matt M,

Many thanks for your prompt response and feedback it is appreciated!

I valued the insight provided in respect of the typical number of track days one might get out of a set of track pads, in this case RC09 & XP10 ... Certainly the longer wear would obviously justify the price difference of the RC09's.

Thanks also for your specific response in respect of track time, it certainly makes it a reliable comparison and thus provides an informed opinion.

Regards,

Matthew
You are more than welcome, I'm glad I could help!

Originally Posted by Gville350
Matt, any experience with the Axxis (PBR) Ultimates pads? Any idea why the manufacturer (Australian-based company as well) would make rear pads in this compound and not the fronts? I've had the Ultimates on the rear of my IS350, but no vendors appear to be able to get their hands on any for the fronts. I just find that really odd. I seriously LOVE this pad for a daily-driven/weekend racer setup.

http://www.pbrbrakes.com/
That is one of the few pad compounds I have not personally had direct experience with but I know it used to be *THE* dual duty compound years back before some of the more recent heavy hitters came along (Ferodo DS2500, Project Mu HC+ and Endless MX72/MXRS are the main ones that come to mind).

As far as the availability of one axle set but not the other- it's rare but it happens. The rear pad shape must be used on other more common applications and it just happens to fit the IS350 but I'm guessing the front pads those use are a little more specific to just that one vehicle. Ferodo did the same thing with the IS-F where they only produce the front pad but not the rear. It's strange and unfortunate but it is what it is and they are not willing to invest in tooling to produce the rear pad shape unless we or someone else proves the demand is there (i.e. we place an order for a ridiculous amount of pads)

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 08-30-16 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 08:10 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^Yep, I'm on Ferodo in front and PM HC+ in back. A GREAT Combo IMHO

Lou

Quick Reply: IS350 CarboTech XP8/10 brake pad review