Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan vs. BC Racing vs. Stance vs. Tein vs. Tanabe vs. Others

Old 10-29-14, 01:28 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Megan vs. BC Racing vs. Stance vs. Tein vs. Tanabe vs. Others

Since the F Sport suspension is discontinued. In the future, I'm going the coil route. Here are my goals:
1. 1.5 inch lower all around (just similar to lower spring look).
2. NO slam or VIP look because of steep drive way and bad road in CA.
3. As much comfortable to stock ride as possible.
4. Great handling when pushed hard such as on autocross or track.
5. Durable.
6. Budget: 700-1500.

Comfort is #1 priority because I use it a lot to drive family members around.

I'm considering:
Megan EZ Street, Megan LP, BC Racing BR series, Stance Super Sport, Tein Street Advance, TANABE PRO S-0C...

I would like to hear direct feedback from the owners who actually run these coils. Please elaborate on how you like or dislike as much as you want. You can even suggest other coils as well. Please also tell me how long your coilover lasts in term of miles and how you drive haha. Thanks
Old 12-01-14, 10:49 PM
cfls
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Since the F Sport suspension is discontinued. In the future, I'm going the coil route. Here are my goals:
1. 1.5 inch lower all around (just similar to lower spring look).
2. NO slam or VIP look because of steep drive way and bad road in CA.
3. As much comfortable to stock ride as possible.
4. Great handling when pushed hard such as on autocross or track.
5. Durable.
6. Budget: 700-1500.

Comfort is #1 priority because I use it a lot to drive family members around.

I'm considering:
Megan EZ Street, Megan LP, BC Racing BR series, Stance Super Sport, Tein Street Advance, TANABE PRO S-0C...

I would like to hear direct feedback from the owners who actually run these coils. Please elaborate on how you like or dislike as much as you want. You can even suggest other coils as well. Please also tell me how long your coilover lasts in term of miles and how you drive haha. Thanks
Considering I have run just about every single shock in that list of yours, just on different applications, as well as the fact that I have a general know how on shock work I figured I might take a shot at this budget shock shootout.

First megan and BC are made by the same manufacturer, and both these shocks are very durable and does exactly what you need them to. I think the strong point of these is that they are very reliable shocks. The only things I have ever really had an issue with after about 50k miles on them, the pillowball mounts needed to be replaced but since your looking for comfort, your probably going to be running the tophats with the rubber inserts, in other words you will not have this problem. I have compared the bc and megan back to back and bc has a thicker shock body. Which means its either a more durable shock body, or it has a bigger piston inside. So if it were up to me I would choose the bc over the Megan.

Stance super sports are also a decent shock. The only issue I have with these shocks is that they are for sure more jarring than the bc or the megan. For performance, I would probably rather go with the stance. I believe one of the reasons why these shocks are so uncomfortable is becasue they are valved a lot tighter. I have compared my bc with the stance and just throwing my body weight on the shock, the bc compresses a fair amount quicker than the stance.

Tein ss and Tanabe are both twin tube shocks. I would never invest money into a twin tube coilover when I can buy a monotube with a lot more adjustability for the same price. I do however own a set of tein ss and an older model of Tanabe. Again both being twin tube I didnt expect anything out of them.

Now that all being said because you are looking primarily at comfort. It would be the latter two that you would probably want to look into. Because twin tube shocks are low pressure shocks, no matter how much people raves about their coilovers being as smooth as silk, It will not be as comfortable as a twin tube setup. But thats about the only advantage I can think of for that type of shock.
Old 12-02-14, 12:54 PM
Gville350

Received 428 Likes on 383 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-IS250-IS350-GSE20-Gen-5-Fortune-Auto-Coilovers-/291001754325?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c10e62d5&vxp=mtr
Plus you can ask for more aggressive spring rates and matching dampers. If you want to push it hard on the track though, you'll at least want a 14k/12k setup.
Old 12-04-14, 10:19 AM
rparkzy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently on Megan EZ.

Great ride quality overall but on the SF hills it gets kinda bumpy. I'm not slammed but I'm flush no wheel gap. If I could do it again I would probably go with the BC Racing. I know a few people who have had Megan's and went BC.

But for what you're trying to achieve I think Megan EZ will be good. If you have more money to burn then I would go with BC. (I love my Megan's though)
Old 12-06-14, 11:28 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

did anyone experience any faster than usual tire wear?

camber kits, toe arms?
Old 12-06-14, 01:57 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

almost 80% of everyone has this problem haha correct me if I'm wrong! stock this car comes with an alignment of the toe thats way off, alot of people that lower their car get the megan upper control arms so you can adjust the camber and get a realignment so you can adjust the toe as well
Old 12-06-14, 10:33 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ms2619
almost 80% of everyone has this problem haha correct me if I'm wrong! stock this car comes with an alignment of the toe thats way off, alot of people that lower their car get the megan upper control arms so you can adjust the camber and get a realignment so you can adjust the toe as well
Im thinking of purchasing rear "mega arms" from figs..

What about the front? I can't find any front camber arms for the awd is250

Last edited by Nixcision; 12-06-14 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-07-14, 03:43 PM
got556
Rookie

All of those will give you the one thing you want, which is to lower the car. Until you start getting in the $3k or so range of coilovers such as KW or Bilstein or Ohlins (not the OEM one's they put on cars and bikes from the factory) then none of them will be properly valved and I would wager most are not even the same valving from one corner to the next.

Wish I could remember the thread from back in my 350Z days where someone had an awesome thread showing how to measure valving and showing how BC's, Megan's, Tein's, and the like were able to get away with such cheap coilovers. Also documented how much difference the valving once from one coilover to the next.

Out of your list, I would go with BC's w/out the SWIFT springs. I used to have Stance on my Z before I started to really care about performance over looks, and they were very rigid, but I never had one blow. Their CS was great too when I wrecked my Z once and needed a front and a rear replaced after bending and blowing them. But if looks is all you're after, any of those will work. If you go with the Megan's, they will be the softest out of any of them but I would go with a 10/14 setup which would be a decent happy medium between ride comfort and performance and not worrying about bottoming out or rubbing too much on high speed dips/bumps.

ETA: May not be an issue in CA, but on a DD coilovers require A LOT more care and cleaning. I would recommend a silicone spray for the threads of the bodies to keep grime/sand/dirt/etc from building up in them. You can ruin or screw up a coilover body real quick by cross threading when adjusting due to grim/dirt being imbedded in the threads.
Old 12-09-14, 09:43 PM
AiRuss
Driver School Candidate

^Got556, Just wondering why you would not recommend the SWIFT springs with the BC coils?

"Out of your list, I would go with BC's w/out the SWIFT springs."
Old 12-10-14, 09:41 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems like BCR is good for both comfort and performance at the right price. It is also valved individually on each coil with good quality control claimed by the manufacturer. This one seems to be highly recommended by many of you guys as well. I'm leaning toward this option.

For comfort only, twin tube shocks like Tein ss and Tanabe would be a better choice. Why are twin tube shocks more comfortable than mono tube shocks?

Another question, when the coil is going bad. How do you guys go about repairing them? I mean do you have the remove the coils and send them to the repair facility and during that time, you put on stock shocks to drive? If that is the case, don't you have to pay the installation twice?? Sorry if this is stupid question.
Old 12-11-14, 08:37 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BC coilovers tend to have a common clunking sound from the mounts, which affects multiple car applications.

Fortune auto coilovers are a quality product for the price. They have a great warranty as well.
Old 12-12-14, 04:10 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kill BCs with fire. I am on my second set and they are as noisy as the first. What junk, it blows my mind these things are a grand and still such crap. Am I really that poor or is a grand a decent chunk of change for some noisy *** china garbage?

Sorry rant over.
The following users liked this post:
Mike_1GO (05-07-17)
Old 12-12-14, 06:56 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
BC coilovers tend to have a common clunking sound from the mounts, which affects multiple car applications.

Fortune auto coilovers are a quality product for the price. They have a great warranty as well.
Originally Posted by Sceanzo
Kill BCs with fire. I am on my second set and they are as noisy as the first. What junk, it blows my mind these things are a grand and still such crap. Am I really that poor or is a grand a decent chunk of change for some noisy *** china garbage?

Sorry rant over.
Common solutions for ANY COILOVER with "noise":
1. Check all the nuts, bolts and do some retourquing
2. Take some compressed air and blow out any debris that has collected within the spring or any grime that has caked onto the body itself
Main problem w/ solution:
3. Your preload was not set properly/ something happened causing a change in the preload... It should be set to zero
Heres a BC specific video on how:

Just relaying some info I've read!
I personally am going with BC coils... I believe in them
Old 12-12-14, 07:58 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nixcision

Common solutions for ANY COILOVER with "noise":
1. Check all the nuts, bolts and do some retourquing
2. Take some compressed air and blow out any debris that has collected within the spring or any grime that has caked onto the body itself
Main problem w/ solution:
3. Your preload was not set properly/ something happened causing a change in the preload... It should be set to zero
Heres a BC specific video on how:

Just relaying some info I've read!
I personally am going with BC coils... I believe in them
You're right. I never did the obvious thing like check around the internet for solutions and people with similar issues.

I turn wrenches for a living. This also is probably my 10th set of coilovers I've owned. The coilovers are trash through and through. Some people have had good luck, just as many have had bad. BC needs to step up quality control or outsource to a little pricier country.

The " tech support " is equally laughable.
Old 12-12-14, 11:35 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sceanzo
You're right. I never did the obvious thing like check around the internet for solutions and people with similar issues.

I turn wrenches for a living. This also is probably my 10th set of coilovers I've owned. The coilovers are trash through and through. Some people have had good luck, just as many have had bad. BC needs to step up quality control or outsource to a little pricier country.

The " tech support " is equally laughable.
No need for the sass. Just my (" laughable ") $0.02.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Megan vs. BC Racing vs. Stance vs. Tein vs. Tanabe vs. Others