Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan vs. BC Racing vs. Stance vs. Tein vs. Tanabe vs. Others

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-14, 02:04 AM
dragtek1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there are a lot of misconceptions going on the forums about coilovers / springs / etc.

To make it simple; BC coils are a pretty decent coilover setup for the 1k price range. However, many people advise the swift spring upgrade for one simple reason, the springs offered by these Taiwanese brands tend to have a good amount of variation between rates. I.E your 10k left spring is really 9.5k, while your right side 10k spring is 10.5k. Going with swift, eibach, hypercoil springs will upgrade the consistency of spring rates as well as prevent coil bind. The other issue with the BC's is the dampening tend to be off as well. Meaning your left shock and right shock may be 2 clicks off from each other and as far as shock dyno's go; they lean towards a "track orientated" valving. Other than that, they tend to be a pretty decent coilover for the price.

However, if you are not interested in going super lower and want the best ride quality, then I would highly recommend Koni yellows + lowering springs. Stick with a decent brand, H&R, F-Sport, or Eibachs. The Koni's perform quite well on the shock dyno, very similar to Bilstein's, but they benefit from being adjustable. SA's are only rebound adjustable however, but it's not that crucial for a street car.

Additionally, I would highly recommend progressive rate springs for your lowering springs. It helps preserve the ride quality for when you are with your family and at the same time, can handle the twisties when you are having fun. Good luck!

I had Koni Yellows + H&R springs for the longest time and quite honestly, it rode beautifully. I swapped the H&R springs for custom ground control coilovers (modified is300) with 550lb front springs and 450lb rear springs. Though, it rides pretty decent, it is a world apart from my progressive rate H&R springs.
Old 12-13-14, 08:33 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What about ksport coilovers? They cost almost the same as BC's coils and claim to be better.
I have an AWD 250, and im strongly considering these... NOTE: they do have a rwd version
Spring rates are 16k front/ 9k rear (is this a bit unusual?)
-the awd weighs 150lbs more in the front, but 16 and 9 seems unbalanced?
Heres a link: http://ksportusa.com/b2c/proddetail.php?prod=CLX111-KP

Anyone have any experience?
Old 12-13-14, 02:14 PM
dragtek1
Rookie

I would recomend BC's over Ksport. For the 2IS platform, The only full coilover worth mentioning that are far better than the BC's are KW's and Ohlins. If your price range is in the 1k area, then BC's are the way to go. Megan LP's are also decent as well, very similar to a Tein setup but for a lot less $$$.

I would recommend searching Google for "ksport reviews" or "ksport blown shocks". Keep in mind that even if the review is for a different vehicle, there are a lot of interchangeable parts on a coilover assembly I.E. off the shelf shock cartridges, springs, pillow ball, sleeves, collars etc. This basically means that common issues such as blown shocks probably means that the entire line of ksports will probably have that similar issue.
Old 12-13-14, 03:37 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dragtek1
I would recomend BC's over Ksport. For the 2IS platform, The only full coilover worth mentioning that are far better than the BC's are KW's and Ohlins. If your price range is in the 1k area, then BC's are the way to go. Megan LP's are also decent as well, very similar to a Tein setup but for a lot less $$$.

I would recommend searching Google for "ksport reviews" or "ksport blown shocks". Keep in mind that even if the review is for a different vehicle, there are a lot of interchangeable parts on a coilover assembly I.E. off the shelf shock cartridges, springs, pillow ball, sleeves, collars etc. This basically means that common issues such as blown shocks probably means that the entire line of ksports will probably have that similar issue.
makes sense... do they even make kw's for awd?
Old 12-15-14, 09:54 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you everyone for your contribution to this thread. I have narrowed down my decision to the following:
1. Fortune Coilover
2. BCR Coilover
3. Swift Spring + Koni Yellow Shocks (least favorite)

Option (1) and (2) are tough choices but I lean more toward Fortune Coilover because all the shocks are dyno tested, 5 years warranty, and made in USA plus haven't heard of any bad issue about them at all. BC seems to have the clunking noise, inconsistent spring rates, inconsistent click adjustments etc

Fortune coilover doesn't have that much review but the available ones are positive. I would like to learn more about the Fortune Coilover. Anyone of you is running them, please give more of a detailed review. Thanks.

Happy Christmas to everyone!
Old 12-15-14, 06:07 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fortune is very popular within the evo community. Fortune has a time attack evo themselves running their product without issue. They are also becoming quite popular within the BMW and 240/Silvia crowds. I like the thought that they are assembled here in the US and are each dynotested. I recommend that you 'spring' for the swift upgrade.

When a vendor recommends buying fortune over bc coilovers when the price difference is very minimal tells you something.
Old 12-15-14, 11:44 PM
dragtek1
Rookie

^I agree with the above post, however, just wanted to chime in that dyno sheets are for an additional fee. Since it does take 30-45 mins per shock to do the test. Also, these are great, but please understand their limits. The components are still made in Taiwan, but assembled here.

As mentioned before, they still are not at the level of penske, ohlins, bilsteins, koni, BUT for the price range they are really hard to beat. What I like best about them is the 5 year warranty! I would take them over BC... I don't havr anything against BC's but i think the FA's are a better value. The swift spring upgrade is a great idea as well.

Last edited by dragtek1; 12-15-14 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-16-14, 09:43 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

What settings do you set on Fortune coils to be similar to OEM ride? And what settings do you use currently? Do you guys experience any rubbing issue?
Old 12-19-14, 10:23 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Even though there are a few cons here and there as members have mentioned, after taking account into various factors, I finally go with BCR Coilovers with the following reasons:
1. Many recommendations from you guys and the popularity of it on this forum, yeah, jumping on the same bandwagon
2. Re-buildable. I heard that if the shocks go out, we can buy the cartridge for $95 per corner and replace ourselves without having to send the whole coilovers over to their facility. This saves money and down time and the car will be back on road quickly.
3. Great deal from our clublexus vendor www.SonicMotor.com . First time buying thing from them and these guys are good to work with. They are very professional and answer all your questions quickly.
4. Tommy@MusicBox high recommendation. Yep, he is always my go-to mechanic and he offers great recommendations all the times. If you don't know him, there is a whole thread on CL dedicated to him https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...er-thread.html
5. My friend who was running BCR coilovers on IS350 for about 1 year now and have no issue at all.
6. 200+ cheaper than Fortune.

Overall, it was a hard, and tough decision for me to pick Fortune or BCR.

Anyways, thank you everyone for your help and contribution to this thread discussion. Happy Christmas to all of you!
Old 12-19-14, 09:26 PM
got556
Rookie

Originally Posted by AiRuss
^Got556, Just wondering why you would not recommend the SWIFT springs with the BC coils?

"Out of your list, I would go with BC's w/out the SWIFT springs."
Because the OP stated comfort as his #1 priority.
Old 12-23-14, 03:08 PM
Sleepy2is
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got stance gr+ and ride smooth like butter and I'm about 2 in off the floor at 12k/7k spring rate.
Old 12-29-14, 06:02 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I just received my BCR Coilovers from SonicMotor vendor today. Can't wait to have Tommy@MusicBox install it on my car

What damping settings do you guys use for daily driving? 20 away from the stiffest front and back?? Please share!!!!
Old 12-29-14, 08:24 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

excited to order my bc coils from CircuitMS as soon as im back home! going 14k front 10k rear on an awd is250!
These guys have answered the many questions I had about lowering, and have great customer service in general.
Also ordering spc front ball joints from them!
(to add to the large list of mods planned )
Old 01-03-15, 02:04 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

will BC coil reduce suspension travel on bumps and ramps, etc? i have megan EZ and people say it's too soft thus rubs on bumps, etc. I heard BC is stiffer and thus better.
Old 01-03-15, 09:52 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dorkacho
will BC coil reduce suspension travel on bumps and ramps, etc? i have megan EZ and people say it's too soft thus rubs on bumps, etc. I heard BC is stiffer and thus better.
From what I understand, it all depends on spring rate. It just so happens that a lot of the vendors of BC's can offer stiffer spring rates.
Ive heard 12k front/ 10k rear is the way to go for a 2is, however, because I have an awd is250, there is an extra 200lbs of weight in the front, so to compensate, I was advised to up my spring rate to 14k in the front to give me extra headroom, and essentially reduce travel due to the weight held.

Quick Reply: Megan vs. BC Racing vs. Stance vs. Tein vs. Tanabe vs. Others