Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SAGE 18mm front RCA's on my GS4 w/alignment results and pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-14, 04:13 PM
GRANYZ400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post SAGE 18mm front RCA's on my GS4 w/alignment results and pics

This is intended for those of you who, perhaps like me, need to retain a close-to-stock ride height and feel. The front gap on these cars is just too ugly IMO, so I had to do something about it. After much research, SAGE 18mm front RCA's from Pete were my ticket. Pete was responsive, courteous, and shipped from HI with blazing speed. They are on sale at the time of this thread. I could have gone lower but I didn't want my wife ripping the front airdam off pulling in to parking spots that have high curbs. Also, I noticed some rubbing over large dips in the road (tire to fender lining) with the 18mm's, so any lower and I might have serious issues.

Additionally, when you put RCA's in, the suspension geometry is affected, notably Toe (as I found out from my alignment results). Camber was also impacted, but not as much as I thought.

Install was a breeze. With air tools I was done with both sides in 20 minutes. Seriously, next to a cabin air filter, this was probably the easiest thing I have ever done on a vehicle (and I have done a lot of work over my life - clutches, trannies, cams, timing belts, etc.). Not only was it easy, but these RCA's have a dramatic impact.

Something to keep in mind with these alignment results is that I did not get a baseline prior to RCA install. What I will say is that the vehicle tracked really well prior to RCA's. It did not pull at all and I never hit anything "big" in the past 1+ years of ownership.

It appears that the biggest impact of the RCA install was Toe. As you can see, my car was out significantly. Perhaps some of that was from prior to RCA install, perhaps not. My tire wear has always been normal, so my guess is it was in spec. Anyway, the conclusion is that it's highly recommended to get an alignment after RCA's.

In conclusion, I am really happy with this mod. It was affordable, easy to install and I like how the car turned out. I hope this helps someone in the future!
Old 11-02-14, 07:06 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice, you have the ride height I want on mine. I was looking at doing the 18mm RCA's so I could do the LS4 caliper swap.