Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brakes Are Out After Dealer Service

Old 03-02-03, 11:20 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Brakes Are Out After Dealer Service

Sat, 03.01, I ad the dealer install my new rotors. I asked that the system not be bled since I had.

Well, late last night, I when I started up teh car to leave a party, all my Brake warning lights lit up and a continous beeeeeeeeeeeep sound emits from the instrument cluster?!

-Hmph-

So I turn off the car, restart, and the same thing. I turn off the car, disconnect the battery (which now I realize I may have wiped out any codes the ECU may have been logging..... ) and try again. Same thing.

So, I figure, lets see how it drives. I do just a minor test in the neighborhood, just to teh stop sign. MISTAKE. I coast to the STOP sign, and coast, and coast, and still, coast.

I have to stand on teh pedal, which BTW feels like a brick wall, the total opposite of sponginess. I mean, BARELY ANY TRAVEL.

A TRUE W-T-FUDGE?

So today, I had it towed, ever so gently with regard to getting the 'roll back' under the TTE lip, to the (closed) dealership for their inspection first thing Monday.

Many thanks to DaveGS4 for the irdes and shadow-ride to the delearship. CL members look after their own.

Any guesses?
Attached Thumbnails Brakes Are Out After Dealer Service-forweb300114-1418_img.jpg  
Old 03-02-03, 11:37 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy cow!!!! I hope everything is ok!

edit-language

Last edited by Daddy-O; 03-02-03 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-02-03, 12:34 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Shouldn't need to bleed the brakes to install new rotors since the brake lines wouldn't need to opened. Do you know if they did open them or not?

If not then there are a couple other things but I'd just be guessing so better they look at it and tell you.
Old 03-02-03, 12:42 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Is it possible that the dealership didn't reconnect a sensor at one of the wheels? Granted that wouldn't explain the brakes not working, but would possibly explain all the lights coming on. Thank god nothing was in your way Dex . Keep us updated on the outcome of this.
Old 03-02-03, 01:27 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Mr.Johnson. I don't know what they did to your car. At least it not happened while you're driving the car. Let us know what's going on. Sound like the brake master cylinder mess up or some connector is disconnected .
Old 03-02-03, 02:15 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
Shouldn't need to bleed the brakes to install new rotors since the brake lines wouldn't need to opened. Do you know if they did open them or not?
Right - I actually told them NOT to disconnect the lines since I had just bled and filled the system, and more inportantly, those instructions are on the invoice.

Thanks guys. Very odd since last weekend after I did my work, all was well. And, after I picked up the car @~3pm, all was well. Who knows.

I gotta tell you, its one heck of a scary sensation not being abke to stop your 3300lb car.

I won't bad mouth the dealership (yet ), everyone makes mistakes, I just want it fixed, and my tow charge refunded.

VVTi, you were my ace in the hole dude! If you don't know, I'm really stuck.

Last edited by ///MDex; 03-02-03 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-02-03, 05:19 PM
tomtnc
Pole Position

For the brakes to completely fail like this, my first guess is a catastrophic loss of brake fluid / line pressure. Too bad you didn't get a chance to check the brake fluid reservoir before you dropped it off at the dealer.

The only thing the dealer (should) have had contact with on the brake system was the rear caliper bolts to gain access to the rear rotors. As others have mentioned, there was no reason for the tech to disconnect the brake lines (therefore no need to bleed the system).

If possible, it may be worth inspecting areas the car was parked (after you got the car back from the dealership) for brake fluid. This would rule out at least one possibility.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-03, 06:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Dex - real sorry to hear about the problem. A total long shot but did you check to see if there was any brake fluid in the car after the complete brake failure?
Old 03-02-03, 07:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah too bad you didn't look at the brake fluid reservor. i am wondering though why your brake felt like a brake wall. if one of the seal broke, or anything leaking, you shouldn't feel it's nothing and press the padel all the way in with ease.... not sure about sensor coz' it doesn't require much to change rotor, a "normal" tech should be able to do that easily. somehow my guess has to do with the reservor but i am not sure
Old 03-03-03, 09:30 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
...i am wondering though why your brake felt like a brake wall. if one of the seal broke, or anything leaking, you shouldn't feel it's nothing and press the padel all the way in with ease....
That's what I was thinking. When no fluid, or a low fluid level is present, the pedal will travel. My pedal would hardly travel. Wierd.

This all happened about 1245 Sat night / Sunday morn, in the rain no less, so looking for a fluid puddle never crossed my mind. The next morning, when the tow truck showed up, I was too bust biting my nails as the truck slid the lifting aparatus under my TTE lip, and I mean BARELY under my lip.

After that,I hopped in Dave's car and we took off to follow the GS.
Old 03-03-03, 10:02 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

wow, any update Dex? I accidently hit and loosen the brake bleeding nut when i changed the pad once,
ABS and brake light come on, no brake pressure when I push on the pedal, but lucky me, the car was in the garage.

Your pedal should not lock up like that, hopefully no major damage (ie the brake master cylinder) (maybe your extreme DOT6 brake fluild lock up the master cylinder, just a guess, I hope not. Don't tell the dealer that.

also, you should have use your emergency brake

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-03-03 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-03-03, 10:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am also thinking, is that the brake padel got stuck or something?
Old 03-03-03, 10:44 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BananaGS
Your pedal should not lock up like that, hopefully no major damage (ie the brake master cylinder) (maybe your extreme DOT6 brake fluild lock up the master cylinder....
I used OEM 'Yota fluid.

No update yet. Waiting to hear from dealer.
Old 03-04-03, 07:00 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

They've had it a day. Any word? Hopefully not too much
Old 03-04-03, 07:22 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

I have spoken to my Service Tech, and I have an idea of what happened, but I will wait to comment until after I have fully resolved the issue with the dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes Are Out After Dealer Service