Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Quick review - EBC Greens and the AP 6-piston kit...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-03, 02:12 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Manaray, did get a bit of sideways action on the canyon like we did last time with the SC?
Old 02-28-03, 02:15 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Why is my post showing up as the 1st post??
Old 02-28-03, 02:36 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Quick review - EBC Greens and the AP 6-piston kit...

Well guys, I finally ate through my Pagid RS 4-2-1 pads that came with my AP's...this time around, I decided to do a more "Street Friendly" pad and decided to give the EBC V4 Greens a try...

I must say, these pads a FRICKIN' LARGE (check out the picts of the used Pagid pad below)...heavy too...would knock the crap out of someone if you threw it at them...anyways...

After correctly breaking in the pads to the rotor (following EBC's instructions), I took a quick "lap" through one of my favorite "secret" test canyons. The run is approximately a 15 minute hot run with LOTS of turns and lots of hard braking and no cops .

Through the canyon, the pads worked very well. Not as "grabby" as the Pagids but when pressure was applied, it slowed the car down quite well. The initial bite wasn't as drastic as the Pagids but overall braking felt nearly as strong.

Never had any sort of brake fade or even change in performance even when the brakes were smokin' hot...smelled lovely too. I would feel comfortable using these on the track.

Normally, after a run like that, my wheels would go from a nice brushed finish to a dark graphite finish... ...with the EBC, this didn't happen at all. I had washed the wheels right after I installed the pads and by the end of the day, they looked almost as clean (of course, road dust was on it) but it wasn't nothing like the near black wheels I would normally end up with when using the Pagids.

This is attributed to the fact that the Pagids are more of a race compound and they're semi-metallic. The EBC Greens are not metallic (they use Kevlar or Aramid) and they're supposidly much more gentle on the rotor...my Pagid's had eaten away about a 1~2mm off the overall width of my rotors...that's with ONE set of pads.

Overall, I would recommend using these after you go through your original pads. The lack of that crazy inital bite is actually quite nice...you can brake more "normally"...anyone with AP's will probably understand what I'm talking about...

Also, these pads are quiet. My Pagids, after they started getting low would squeal like a pig....mmmm...pork...I'm hungry...

Installation was easy...you just take off the wheel, then undo the two bridge bolts, remove the bridge rods and bridge plate, then you'll need to seperate the pads a little bit from the rotor. Then you pull the old pads out and I just used the pads (with the pad side on the pistons) to push the pistons back so I could get the new pads in...this was the hardest part....once that was done, the new pads just drop right in...you put the bridge rods and cover back on, screw in the two bridge bolts, and there you go. No brainer. Just make sure the pad material is facing the ROTOR.

After using it in my AP's, I definitely think we made the right choice to use these pads for the Wilwood 6-piston kit.
Attached Thumbnails Quick review - EBC Greens and the AP 6-piston kit...-pagidrs421.jpg  
Old 02-28-03, 08:44 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Quick review - EBC Greens and the AP 6-piston kit...

Originally posted by Manaray

Overall, I would recommend using these after you go through your original pads. The lack of that crazy inital bite is actually quite nice...you can brake more "normally"...anyone with AP's will probably understand what I'm talking about...
Yep, It took me a while to be smooth with the grab of these pads. I'm not sure I want to re-learn though.

Also, these pads are quiet. My Pagids, after they started getting low would squeal like a pig....mmmm...pork...I'm hungry...
So true! LMAO!
After using it in my AP's, I definitely think we made the right choice to use these pads for the Wilwood 6-piston kit.
Sounds like the way to go then when it's time for replacement. Great info!

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 02-28-03 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-28-03, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hey thanks for the super info man, i love it. yeah relearning the ap racing driving habits was tough, it was even frustring when you find all your passengers choking in the car

so ebc v4 greens, anything else i need in order to buy the pads? i will definitely get these next time

and yes, i hate the fact that my front wheels are stupidly dirty all the time
Old 02-28-03, 10:01 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Mr. Johnson - There isn't too much "re-learning" involved. It's just not AS touchy as before...just a smoother initial response...Still grabs like crazy if you stomp on the brakes... I got used to in no time! (unlike getting into my still-stock SC...that's a HUGE difference!)

Rominl - There's nothing else you need...just order a set of pads (4 pads per set...goes by "axles" rather than pairs) and install them. There's no shims, no anti-squeel goop, no weird springs or small parts....just pads.

Hell, even Bubb Rubb could do it! (well, maybe not)....the hardest part is getting the old pads out...you need to spread the pads off the rotor (so essentially, you're pushing the pistons into the caliper) and that's not easy...

What I did is I took two wrenches (like 1/2" ones I think) and I wedged them side by side between the little "ears" on the top of the pads (you'll see them when you take off the bridge cover) and I use the heads of the wrenches like "cams" to push on the ears....definitely a knuckle buster if you slip....the better way to do it would be to use some type of screw-action spreader (no, not the kind you use in the bedroom )...something like a REVERSE C-Clamp if you will...or like a mini-vise with the flat vise faces facing outward....

Once you get them loose enough to get the pads out, you can then use the spacing that left and the used pad itself to leverage against the pistons to push them in (the pistons must be pushed nearly all the way inside of the caliper to get the new pads in...they fit tightly). I took out the pads and turn them 90 degrees for leverage. I pushed in two pistons (the two largest) first but you have to do each one little by little...otherwise, you'll push the third one out all the way...the pistons go in and out independently...

Seriously, it's about as "techincal" as putting on a STB. It's just requires a little more elbow grease and it's a dirtier job (especially with the all the old brake dust from the Pagid pads)...hehehe, wait until you see the inside lip of your wheel after going through the Pagid pad....I had like a 2mm thick solid crust of brake dust on the wheel...looked like a smoker's lung.

Last edited by Manaray; 03-01-03 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-28-03, 04:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

that sounds good manary, seems very easy. i guess i will go with the ebc onces mine wears out. so finally how many miles you got on the pagid pads? did you check it often? oh and how did you know it's almost gone?

oh and how much did you pay for the pads?

Last edited by rominl; 02-28-03 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-28-03, 05:11 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Manaray! You always come through with great info!
Old 03-01-03, 02:33 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Rominl - I would say I got about 13K~14K miles on the pads....but I still have 1/8" of pad left...I could have probably gone to 15K~16K miles...maybe...

I check the pads every now and then (and more often as it gets low) just by looking at the pads...you can see how much pad is left if you turn your wheel towards you (pick a side) and look at the BOTTOM of the caliper...you'll see part of the pad...enough to tell how much you have left.

I will try to snap a picture of my EBC's installed in my calipers from the angle that I look at to check my pads...the bright green colored pads will make it easy to see (unlike my super black Pagids!)

As for the price, I was able to get them for near cost so I can't say...as for retail, I'm not too sure what they retail for.

When you guys are ready, I'll give you contact info to get them...it's not going to be near cost, but it won't be retail either...

400DGRZ - No problem...I'm here to put out good info!

Oh, I also updated some of the info in my last post...if any of you have questions about the installation of new pads when it comes up, feel free to email me and I'll give you more detailed instructions...hopefully, someone local like Rominl will need to have it done and we can take some pictures and post it...

Last edited by Manaray; 03-01-03 at 02:34 AM.
Old 03-01-03, 02:37 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Richie, I think it has to do with the timestamp...it did it in another post (And I'm sure many others)...it seems like the system is updating the post database using the posters LOCAL time....

So if someone in NY post at 8:00AM THEIR TIME (which is 5:00AM my time) and then I post at 7:00AM MY TIME (which is 10:00AM in NY), then my post will come first even though their post is technically first....wierd, eh?

Oh, to answer your question, my GS handles much better than my SC and the tires are much stickier so it doesn't tend to slide as much...

Wait till you see what's happening to my SC...

Last edited by Manaray; 03-01-03 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-01-03, 09:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yes sir, when i change pads on my car we can definitely snap some pics, will be a very nice diy that's for sure. well to me the brakes were like 3 grands already, i figured the pads shouldn't be THAT expensive compared to the brakes so i won't worry that much. but manaray you got your contact so i am sure i don't have to worry about anything
Old 03-01-03, 01:41 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, to answer your question, my GS handles much better than my SC and the tires are much stickier so it doesn't tend to slide as much...

Wait till you see what's happening to my SC...
LOL, thank god for sticky rubber. Did you ever get those stains out of the leather by the way ???

Is it something big???
You are going to make us wait, aren't you??
Old 03-01-03, 07:01 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Richie
You are going to make us wait, aren't you??
Of course!
Old 03-02-03, 04:00 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered the EBC pads last week and they are being installed on my existing TRD rotors this Tuesday, so I am looking forward to it!
Old 03-06-03, 06:57 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, by the way, I just found my "retail" price list for EBC pads from SEMA (forgot I had it), the pads LIST for $99.00. Gotta love that...better than the $300+ for the Pagids... Esp. for street use ...

Quick Reply: Quick review - EBC Greens and the AP 6-piston kit...