Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Possible AWD Lowering Solution...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-14, 08:51 AM
1BadTitan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible AWD Lowering Solution...

If anyone is like me and has vibration issues from lowering your ISx50 AWD... I may have an answer. What if I jacked up the motor and transmission and placed 3/4" spacers in between the motor and the mount. In the VW scene we would slam our cars with coilovers and have CV axle binding issues that would cause clicking, binding, popping etc. We would then take an aluminum spacer and place it between the mount and motor/trans and that would even out the angles once again. It looks like we have the clearance under the hood to jack them up a bit... Has this been tried before, or could I be on to something?
Old 09-01-14, 11:26 AM
1BadTitan
Rookie

No takers? Think about it, you lower the car, that decreases the oem design of the CV angles... You "block up" the engine, that restores the angle you took away with the springs. Is there any reason why I couldnt lift the car on jackstands, unbolt the motor mounts, jack the motor/trans up and set the block in, reinstall a longer bolt and go. The rear isnt an issue, its the same rear as the rwd ISx50's, its just the front driveline.
Old 09-01-14, 12:01 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

until it has been tried and proven that it can work, I dont think anyone would try it just for ****s and giggles? Have you tried it on your vehicle?
Old 09-01-14, 03:13 PM
1BadTitan
Rookie

Its been tried, proven and marketed in the VW, Audi scene... Thats where I've come from. I'm on here now asking if its been done yet, if it has and failed then I will not waste my time... Otherwise, I'll be getting started asap on R&D. I'm not looking for a guinea pig, I'm asking if its been attempted yet. And its not for s#!ts n giggles, its to fix a real problem that all IS & GS AWD owners are dealing with.
Old 09-01-14, 07:45 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only solution i've heard of was spacers on the axle itself, and maybe a handful of pairs were made but nothing really came out of it.

Keep us posted on your results if you decide to go down this out. This would be very beneficial to all the AWD owners on here!
Old 09-02-14, 02:06 AM
whiteis33
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BadTitan
Its been tried, proven and marketed in the VW, Audi scene... Thats where I've come from. I'm on here now asking if its been done yet, if it has and failed then I will not waste my time... Otherwise, I'll be getting started asap on R&D. I'm not looking for a guinea pig, I'm asking if its been attempted yet. And its not for s#!ts n giggles, its to fix a real problem that all IS & GS AWD owners are dealing with.
The concept is the same, I would say go ahead and try it. From what I have read on the forums some people get the wobbles and either deal with it or go back to stock.. No definitive solutions.
Shoot me a PM if you do end up doing this. I would be interested
Old 09-02-14, 08:48 AM
TRAVVVYYY
Driver School Candidate

not a bad idea this could work
Old 09-02-14, 12:14 PM
caw1984
Driver School Candidate

Yeah for sure let us know if you go down this route, and possibly maybe a diy on the subject would be greatly beneficial to our community. I do not have the "wobbles" or vibrations on my awd is250 dropped on h&r springs, but I would like to go lower and I'm not gonna spend the money on coil overs if I'm going to end up messing things up with the awd system.
Old 09-02-14, 01:13 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BadTitan
What I meant was to try it on a lexus first because the 2nd gen has been around for quite some time now and there were tons of shops and people who tried to get rid of the wobble issue and just never could. That trick is not new so I'm sure someone out there has had to try it at some point before
Old 09-03-14, 06:44 AM
1BadTitan
Rookie

I actually didnt have wobbles, but I had a feeling like I could feel the angle of the CV's almost a grinding feeling when I let off the gas. Also I was slinging grease from the CV's and the boots arent torn at all. This is on the new Fsport coils. I will be making a set of spacers and installing them, and putting my springs back in to test. How many mounts should I be looking for under there? I'm thinking two for the engine, and one for the trans... please correct me if I'm wrong here, and locations would help spped this up if anyone knows for sure.
Old 09-07-14, 11:00 AM
whiteis33
Pit Crew

Any update?
Old 09-08-14, 05:30 PM
1BadTitan
Rookie

not yet... I've been real busy with work and the family. This is my daily ride to work, so I need a day off where I can get under, measure, make the part, install and test it, all while still needing to drive this thing every day
Old 09-14-14, 10:35 PM
lemans777
Driver School Candidate

Really interesting theme.i have vibrations and want to fix it. I'm pretty bad in English,so can you explain it more simple?the engine is so low that he contact with cv axle and give vibration to last?if you will make DIY of this it will be gorgeous
Old 09-28-14, 10:30 PM
whiteis33
Pit Crew

another bump
Old 10-15-14, 11:43 PM
whiteis33
Pit Crew

going to bump this one last time. Might embark on in a month or so..

Quick Reply: Possible AWD Lowering Solution...