Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Ran Into A Few Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-14, 08:42 PM
michaelb20
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran Into A Few Problems

Hey guys!

So lately I've been noticing that whenever I'm turning the steering wheel I can feel and sometimes hear a clicking sound. Also I've noticed that the ride was a little bouncy. I had the car inspected by Lexus and sure enough they said that the rear shocks were leaking, and also that my left steering boot was also leaking.

I was wondering what you guys might think about the clicking because I don't really want to shell out money on the steering boot.

Also should I replace my rear shocks with the same old OEM shocks, or should I invest in coilovers instead? I've been wanting to get some and I figure this may be a good time to get them. Might look weird with my OEM chrome 5 spoke wheels though.

Your input is much appreciated!
Old 08-27-14, 10:34 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

You could try this test for the center bearing:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...r-bearing.html

I would think something in the steering assembly is more likely, though.
Old 08-28-14, 07:57 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelb20
Hey guys!

So lately I've been noticing that whenever I'm turning the steering wheel I can feel and sometimes hear a clicking sound. Also I've noticed that the ride was a little bouncy. I had the car inspected by Lexus and sure enough they said that the rear shocks were leaking, and also that my left steering boot was also leaking.

I was wondering what you guys might think about the clicking because I don't really want to shell out money on the steering boot.

Also should I replace my rear shocks with the same old OEM shocks, or should I invest in coilovers instead? I've been wanting to get some and I figure this may be a good time to get them. Might look weird with my OEM chrome 5 spoke wheels though.

Your input is much appreciated!
For the strut question, that depends on what type of coilovers you are after... OEM struts are like $150 for a pair online, assuming you install them yourself that's a cheap and simple fix to get you back on the road. If you have a shop do the work then you would be paying at least 2-3 times that and would be in cheap coilover territory. I'm in the same boat with stock 5 spoke wheels but want coilovers too... Not sure.
Old 08-28-14, 06:14 PM
michaelb20
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
You could try this test for the center bearing: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...r-bearing.html I would think something in the steering assembly is more likely, though.
Well I don't think that applied to me I actually had a few mounts replaced including the tranny mount. Rides quiet for the most part aside from the exhaust.

Originally Posted by Kris9884
For the strut question, that depends on what type of coilovers you are after... OEM struts are like $150 for a pair online, assuming you install them yourself that's a cheap and simple fix to get you back on the road. If you have a shop do the work then you would be paying at least 2-3 times that and would be in cheap coilover territory. I'm in the same boat with stock 5 spoke wheels but want coilovers too... Not sure.
Well I'm likely going to have a shop do it as I'm currently in the process of moving and don't really have a place to do it on my own. As for the coilovers, the stock ride height is a little high for my liking so I was looking for a lowered ride but at the same time maintaining the OEM feel when driving.
Old 08-29-14, 05:37 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like you should be looking into supra OEM setup lowers the car a bit keeps oem ride and is extremely cheap. as for the clicking sound i wound inspect your steering shaft and check your tierods. where in Cali are you located?
Old 08-30-14, 09:26 PM
michaelb20
Rookie

Originally Posted by SexCoupe
sounds like you should be looking into supra OEM setup lowers the car a bit keeps oem ride and is extremely cheap. as for the clicking sound i wound inspect your steering shaft and check your tierods. where in Cali are you located?
I'm currently in Anaheim at the moment.