Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

AirREX Struts/Bags - Please share your experience if you own them

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-14, 07:40 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AirREX Struts/Bags - Please share your experience if you own them

Hi Everyone,

If you currently own or had owned a set of AirREX struts/bags (not the kit system), can you please share your experience and details so I can make a personal decision to revisit a 4th set or not.

Please fill out the following template

1. Purchase Date and condition (used/new)
2. Mileage Used on the set
3. Who did the installation? Yourself or an authorized installer?
4. Rear Bag Design are Bags or Pillows
5. If used in winter. If yes, how many miles?
6. How long were they installed for?
7. Any issues?
8. Is your ISx50 your DD?

I will go first.

1. Purchase Date: Nov 2013 new
2. Mileage Used on the set: 280 Miles
3. Rear Bag Design are Pillow Bags or Sleeve
4. If used in winter. If yes, how many miles? Yes, used 280 during winter. Most days were dry road
5. How long were they installed for? It was installed for 2 weeks. I went through 2 sets, each 2 weeks
6. Any issues? Rear mount on the bag snapped. Twice.
7. Is your ISx50 your DD? Yes

Basically I had three sets of struts send to me from AirREX. First set broke right before I went on a local highway (first time since installation).. second time it was the night before my proposal.. stuck outside in the cold until 5am.. third set.. I send it back to AirREX. First two sets lasted two weeks each. My car basically sat in the shop between Dec to Feb due to all the issues.

Although the product experience was terrible, the customer experience I received was better than anything I have purchased in the last 5 years. AirREX was very understanding and gave me a refund.

So here I am, half a year later to gather more information from other members. Please do share!

Thanks,
Zel

Last edited by Zelfiris; 08-26-14 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-26-14, 12:49 AM
msequence
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Umm, curious:

1. Who was your reseller
2. Who installed the struts
3. Do you have pictures of the struts
4. What management do you run
5. Where are you from.

Matt
Old 08-26-14, 12:58 AM
msequence
Rookie

Also is your IS awd or rwd?
Old 08-26-14, 02:44 AM
Xxxrated58
Driver School Candidate

Default AirRex struts/bags

1. purchased in oct. 2011
2. Don't remember mileage
3. Forjworks
4. Triple bellow bags
5. No winter/ live in Hawaii
6. Had it for 3 years
7. Daily driver

I was one of the first guys to have this kit when it first came out, had it for 3 years with no problems. Within the 3 years I just recently changed my air compressor and changed 2 pressure switches. I live in
Hawaii where our roads suck!! Never had any problems with my system yet-love my AirRex!!
Old 08-26-14, 04:31 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Sorry guys, let me change the OP

3. Rear Bag Design are Bags or Pillows

to

3. Rear Bag Design are Pillow Bags or Sleeve
Old 08-26-14, 04:33 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by msequence
Umm, curious:

1. Who was your reseller
2. Who installed the struts
3. Do you have pictures of the struts
4. What management do you run
5. Where are you from.

Matt
1. Airwerks USA
2. TalyordCustoms
3. Yes, they are on my phone
4. I ran Accuair elevel management system
5. Toronto
6. RWD

Are you looking into air too?

Last edited by Zelfiris; 08-26-14 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Corrected the spelling on 1 and 2.. morning soberness
Old 08-26-14, 12:34 PM
Spizikes67
Driver School Candidate

Default Airrex full digital air management system

I used to own a 2008 Lexus IS250 with the full Airrex digital setup. No issues and I sold it about a year ago. I saw the guy who purchased it at Spocom this past Saturday and he said he loves the car with no issues at all. I recently purchased a 2006 Lexus IS350 and got the same full Airrex digital setup and the same thing with no issues. I highly recommend getting it again.

2008 Lexus IS250-
1. Purchase date and condition: April of 2013 purchased brand new
2. Mileage used on set: about a little over 1,000 miles before I sold it.
3. Who did the installation? Yourself or an authorized installer?: Authorized installer
4. Rear bag design are bags or pillows?: Fronts - Double convoluted billows. Rears - Rolling sleeves
5. If used in winter. If yes, how many miles?: No winters in Hawaii
6. How long were they installed for?: Over a year
7. Any issues?: No issues
8. Is your ISx50 your daily driver?: Yes, my daily driver. I

2006 Lexus IS350-
1. Purchase date and condition: March of 2014 purchased brand new
2. Mileage used on set: about a little over 4,000
3. Who did the installation? Yourself or an authorized installer?: It was easy. Me and two friends did it in less than 4 hours.
4. Rear bag design are bags or pillows?: Fronts - Double convoluted billows. Rears - Rolling sleeves
5. If used in winter. If yes, how many miles?: No winters in Hawaii
6. How long were they installed for?: 5 months
7. Any issues?: No issues
8. Is your ISx50 your daily driver?: Yes, my daily driver
Old 08-26-14, 02:21 PM
msequence
Rookie

Couple of things to consider.

Airrex recently went through an additional design for the 2 and 3/IS250/350/3GS300/350/460 Since we are in Canada many of our models are AWD vs. RWD. The 460s and F sport 250s or the 350s are mostly all RWD where as the others for the most part putting rare USA car cases behind are AWD. Both the RWD and the AWD lexus mentioned above have the same design for the Rear differential except the diff ratios are different as to allow for RWD and AWD operations of course. This leads to airrex. Airrex offers two designs for the rear a sleve type some refer to as pillow and also a bellow type that sits on the bottom similar to the design of the UAS systems that go over coilovers for our cars. The bellow design sits lower to allow for people who have VOSSEN wheels ie WIde eg. 10 inch but that have high offsets. The bag was put below to allow the wheel to fit and not rub on the bag, however initial runs of this design with the bag below had issues and hence you were affected. Its normal that when a pioneering company such as airrex designs a new design to allow much market satisfaction and caters to the needs to have issues for the first few runs, hence you were affected but that was resolved. The other option is the sleve bag that allows for low offset ie pushed out wheels with higher widths. This is the setup I run on my GS as my GS is AWD. Keep in mind that talking about the fronts the AWD fronts are also different than the RWD fronts as our AWD cars have a differential hence a fork design is implimented so the AIRREX struts are shorter and have a different mounting point in the front. Anyway I have been running sleves as I run low offset wheels on my Lexus for about half a year with constant driving all over USA as I provide media coverage as well as attend many events in the USA. Coming from a BC with a UAS bag setup with airlift management to airrex was a godsend. I love my kit its solid and reliable to the point that i forget I am on bags most of the time. I can take corners slammed at very fast rates without even a burp! Car handles so well I simply love it. I am sorry that you had an initial bad experience with our brand, and sometimes thats how it goes. I am glad that we were able to resolve your issue. We meaning AIRREX as a company on a whole. You dealt with AIRWERKS which is not my distributor. I am under Marshal Lum from AIRREX Suspension America, who is my distributor and I am a personal dealer, consultant and promoter for AIRREX air suspension systems, here in Canada and most of East coast. If you have any additional issues about anything please do not hesitate to message me. Cheers.

Matt M
Airrex Canada
matt@airrexcanada.com

Last edited by msequence; 08-26-14 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-26-14, 02:51 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by msequence
Couple of things to consider.

Airrex recently went through an additional design for the 2 and 3/IS250/350/3GS300/350/460 Since we are in Canada many of our models are AWD vs. RWD. The 460s and F sport 250s or the 350s are mostly all RWD where as the others for the most part putting rare USA car cases behind are AWD. Both the RWD and the AWD lexus mentioned above have the same design for the Rear differential except the diff ratios are different as to allow for RWD and AWD operations of course. This leads to airrex. Airrex offers two designs for the rear a sleve type some refer to as pillow and also a bellow type that sits on the bottom similar to the design of the UAS systems that go over coilovers for our cars. The bellow design sits lower to allow for people who have VOSSEN wheels ie WIde eg. 10 inch but that have high offsets. The bag was put below to allow the wheel to fit and not rub on the bag, however initial runs of this design with the bag below had issues and hence you were affected. Its normal that when a pioneering company such as airrex designs a new design to allow much market satisfaction and caters to the needs to have issues for the first few runs, hence you were affected but that was resolved. The other option is the sleve bag that allows for low offset ie pushed out wheels with higher widths. This is the setup I run on my GS as my GS is AWD. Keep in mind that talking about the fronts the AWD fronts are also different than the RWD fronts as our AWD cars have a differential hence a fork design is implimented so the AIRREX struts are shorter and have a different mounting point in the front. Anyway I have been running sleves as I run low offset wheels on my Lexus for about half a year with constant driving all over USA as I provide media coverage as well as attend many events in the USA. Coming from a BC with a UAS bag setup with airlift management to airrex was a godsend. I love my kit its solid and reliable to the point that i forget I am on bags most of the time. I can take corners slammed at very fast rates without even a burp! Car handles so well I simply love it. I am sorry that you had an initial bad experience with our brand, and sometimes thats how it goes. I am glad that we were able to resolve your issue. We meaning AIRREX as a company on a whole. You dealt with AIRWERKS which is not my distributor. I am under Marshal Lum from AIRREX Suspension America, who is my distributor and I am a personal dealer, consultant and promoter for AIRREX air suspension systems, here in Canada and most of East coast. If you have any additional issues about anything please do not hesitate to message me. Cheers.

Matt M
Airrex Canada
matt@airrexcanada.com
Hey Matt,

Thanks for sharing your experience. The owner of AirREX USA actually PM'ed me because of this thread too. I don't want to alarm anyone, this thread is strictly to gather data. Although I did happened to take a loss that was my own decision. I have no doubt how amazing the ride was for me and I'm sure the mass feel the same way.

I believe AirREX struts is the most popular and if not, the best air struts for the 2IS. What I want to do, is to gather is the positive/negative experiences of the guys who own the struts. There is just not enough information going around. Future air riders can use this thread to learn how well the product worked for other owners
Old 08-26-14, 03:09 PM
mililani00
Pole Position

1. Purchase Date and condition (used/new)? New
2. Mileage Used on the set? Around 3k
3. Who did the installation? Yourself or an authorized installer? Authorized installer
6. How long were they installed for?may 2014
7. Any issues? Leaks around the tank since July
8. Is your ISx50 your DD? Yes
Old 08-29-14, 06:58 PM
deejayrock
Driver School Candidate

Default airrex issue but for LS430

thought id chime in since we're talking airrex,

-bought my bags used from a friend.
-probably have 3k miles on them
-installed by myself
-been installed for 6 months
-issue: running airrex bags with accuair management, have had the VU4 manifold serviced twice already because some kind of material is getting lodged in exhaust ports of manifold. The only place the material can be coming from are the bags, checked for material substance, its a rubbery substance. brought the issue up a few folks familiar with airrex and air systems and said that it could be the bump stops deteriorating and when i air out the substance is getting lodged in the valves and keeping them open. the substance some are saying are the bumpstops deteriorating and coming through when airing out. my car when aired up will slowly start to airdown due to the exhaust ports sticking open. I was running UAS bags before and never had an issue, anyone else have this issue?
thanks guys, i am completely happy with my system. this issue just keeps arising and im without my car for about a week until my manifold is serviced by accuair.
Old 09-02-14, 05:23 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

It doesn't look like you guys had used it for daily driver mileage

@deejayrock - that is definitely an issue I haven't heard of it
Old 08-29-15, 09:54 PM
rich250x
Pole Position

does anyone with airrex struts have any issues with bags rubbing on other suspension/body parts? Did you have to modify anything to get more bag clearance?
Old 08-31-15, 03:50 PM
ISland350
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Purchase Date and condition :Nov 2014/ New
2. Mileage Used on the set 6,000
3. Who did the installation? Yourself or an authorized installer? Couple of friends
4. Rear Bag Design are Bags or Pillows: double bellow front/ rear sleeve
5. If used in winter. If yes, how many miles? lol winter on Guam
6. How long were they installed for? Coming up on a year
7. Any issues? zero
8. Is your ISx50 your DD? yes
Old 05-03-16, 11:07 AM
pandes
Driver

Originally Posted by ISland350
1. Purchase Date and condition :Nov 2014/ New
2. Mileage Used on the set 6,000
3. Who did the installation? Yourself or an authorized installer? Couple of friends
4. Rear Bag Design are Bags or Pillows: double bellow front/ rear sleeve
5. If used in winter. If yes, how many miles? lol winter on Guam
6. How long were they installed for? Coming up on a year
7. Any issues? zero
8. Is your ISx50 your DD? yes
whats your air ride pressure. i have airlift struts and management, but awd and dont know what pressure to ride.

Quick Reply: AirREX Struts/Bags - Please share your experience if you own them