Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

98 GS300 Bad front end creaking/squeeking when turning and parked

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-14, 09:46 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
Never heard a rack and pinion creak. Ball Joints creak.

Don't mess with creaking ball joints, they lead to wrecked fenders when they break.
thats been my experience too. lbj on the passenger side went out and destroyed a fender. but ive replaced both of those.

i got the grease gun with the needle and i greased up the ball joints anyway. usually theres a chance in the sound...but nothing. it didnt even dull the sound.

so lbj's are just over a year old. but theyre easy to chance so i should just change them anyway
Old 11-16-14, 10:25 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I use the needle grease fitting too. Love it. My drivers side is making a noise now, or I think it is the ball joint. It does it with up and down movement only, not left and right. So maybe sway bar bushings. Ball joints will make noise in up and down and left and right. Control arms and sway bar bushings can do noise up and down only.

Originally Posted by marshun
thats been my experience too. lbj on the passenger side went out and destroyed a fender. but ive replaced both of those.

i got the grease gun with the needle and i greased up the ball joints anyway. usually theres a chance in the sound...but nothing. it didnt even dull the sound.

so lbj's are just over a year old. but theyre easy to chance so i should just change them anyway
Old 11-16-14, 11:39 AM
marshun
Advanced

I use the needle grease fitting too. Love it. My drivers side is making a noise now, or I think it is the ball joint. It does it with up and down movement only, not left and right. So maybe sway bar bushings. Ball joints will make noise in up and down and left and right. Control arms and sway bar bushings can do noise up and down only.
i hope its the sway bushing.

it only makes noise a certain degree turning left and right. i'll let you know. hopefully i can just loosen it and stick the needle in there. lol
Old 11-16-14, 01:21 PM
marshun
Advanced

well its definitely not that. i went ahead and lubed up everything. still squeeks. its loud as ****.

i guess its the rack. its hard to determine where its coming from cause its so loud
Old 11-16-14, 01:29 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Been working on cars since the early 80's, never once heard of a rack creak. Doesn't make any sense (it is filled with transmission fluid). The bushings maybe, the tie rods maybe, but still, have never ever heard a rack creak. Rack is BEHIND front wheels, super easy to tell if that is where the noise is coming from or not.

Put the car on ramps and get under it and have someone move the wheels (or whatever is needed to make the noise). Should be pretty easy to pinpoint it.

well its definitely not that. i went ahead and lubed up everything. still squeeks. its loud as ****.

i guess its the rack. its hard to determine where its coming from cause its so loud
Old 11-16-14, 01:39 PM
marshun
Advanced

Been working on cars since the early 80's, never once heard of a rack creak. Doesn't make any sense (it is filled with transmission fluid). The bushings maybe, the tie rods maybe, but still, have never ever heard a rack creak. Rack is BEHIND front wheels, super easy to tell if that is where the noise is coming from or not.

Put the car on ramps and get under it and have someone move the wheels (or whatever is needed to make the noise). Should be pretty easy to pinpoint it.
yeah did that today.

im an old wrencher too. haha. but mid 80s is when i started working on cars.

found this thread
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...assenger-side/

seems like the same op. but people have also said that the rack was the culprit.
Old 11-17-14, 03:59 PM
GS400BOOTY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My creaking was the lower ball joint
Old 11-18-14, 04:59 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

Yoooo. IMHO, listen to TDirick. I replaced ball joints only for a inspection failure. After a time, I replaced the upper controls arms with units from Ebay...don't eva....eva,eva,eva, do this. Those frickin things suck and started to make clunking noises after 1 winter. More than likely, the creaking noises you are hearing are your upper control arms. I did all over before mentioned lubing etc...ball joints were replaced too. Only afer properly replacing the uppers, the creaking stopped. FYI if you stop hearing squeaks in the rain, then it probably is you sway bar bushings
Old 11-19-14, 06:35 PM
marshun
Advanced

hmm. i think i'll start with the lbj and go from there. the boot did have a tear. if not then i'll move on to the uppers
Old 11-27-14, 01:27 AM
marshun
Advanced

so i didnt get the lbj yet, but the sound is gone.

but the lbj will be coming off once i receive the replacement. i'll inspect the old one. maybe it will help shed light on the subject

Last edited by marshun; 11-27-14 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-05-14, 12:35 PM
marshun
Advanced

so i didnt get the lbj yet, but the sound is gone.

but the lbj will be coming off once i receive the replacement. i'll inspect the old one. maybe it will help shed light on the subject
ok. it was the lbj making noise. they were moogs. they were just over a year old. whatever. its 30 bucks to replace.

my wobble is a combination of things. all of which were ball joints. dammit. changed out the uppers control arms and the wobble is gone.

so i went ahead and changed out the other side as well. now the damn differential shifting...

i guess its hit that age where a couple things start giving up at the same time.
Old 12-08-15, 08:25 AM
Muisak
Driver School Candidate

I have this same problem on my first gen (1993 gs) and just replaced LBJ's like a month and a half ago, not even 3,000 miles on them yet. passengers side is creaking BAD. took it all apart, no individual part is showing any signs of wear or trouble. lubed and put back together, and rode noise free for about 10 miles before the sound returned. found a squeeky bump stop on the strut, but the struts on these cars don't turn, so i doubt that was it. I wonder if my new ball joint has already failed? should have got OEM bout over these aftermarket BS parts
Old 01-03-16, 11:34 PM
gs300by
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem loud creaking. I changed the steering rack bushings and noise is still there. Im planning on changing the lbj and the control arms. This is really helpful
Old 01-04-16, 08:27 AM
Muisak
Driver School Candidate

i fixed mine by jacking the car up and injecting grease into my new lower ball joints. apparently the cheap ones I got off ebay are defective (i know, you get what you pay for lol) i definitely don't recommend meyle ball joints.
Old 01-10-16, 02:46 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Guys the 2nd generation GS slider pins the the brake caliper bracket tend to seize up & when as time goes on & unnoticed. Every time you hit the brake, it's so much pressure that it's slowly backing the caliper bracket bolts out. I took my wheels off & could shake both calipers by hand. I retighten & my clunk went away

Quick Reply: 98 GS300 Bad front end creaking/squeeking when turning and parked