Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Who's running J5 AVS compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 05:34 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Who's running J5 AVS compatible?

Mine are on order and I'm really looking forward to getting these things on. In the meantime I was wondering who's got theirs installed, and how you're liking them. Specifically how you tuned them prior to re-installing the AVS. I know there are a few guys out there that have ordered just by speaking with Shawn, so I'm hoping to get some feedback while I'm chomping at the bit.
Old 08-09-14, 10:42 AM
mello03
Pit Crew

Surprised no one has these on yet. Well, I should have mine on in a couple of weeks and post back with pics and initial impressions.
Old 08-09-14, 03:09 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be interested in how it works with the avs. Are you installing it yourself?
Old 08-09-14, 06:12 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

Yes I'll be installing them myself. There should be just be one more step beyond a regular coilover install. From what I understand you have to get them where you want your new "normal" to be, then install the AVS module so it can go two more steps up from there for sport and sport+. There's a thread on them.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-coilover.html
Old 08-21-14, 01:46 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

Coilovers showed up today from South Korea. They were sent out Monday morning from Seoul and arrived at my house in NC today. 4 days (but they are a day ahead I guess) to my door is pretty impressive IMO. Anyway initial impressions are excellent. They are light just like everyone says, and fit/finish is top shelf. I will try to get these on this weekend and post back with a initial review since there aren't many on here. I got 10k/8k so I'm hoping for close to stock ride but Shawn told me it may be just a tiny bit stiffer with these rates.
Old 08-21-14, 06:35 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

got anymore picture of the top hat?
Old 08-22-14, 07:59 AM
mello03
Pit Crew

I'll take more pics during the install. Are you wanting pics specifically of the top hat or the shock/avs interface?

Last edited by mello03; 08-23-14 at 03:10 AM.
Old 08-22-14, 08:45 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

both actually. thanks!
Old 08-24-14, 02:33 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

Just a few pics of the front coilover hat. I dropped the car 1 inch all the way around. Initial impressions are awesome. Feels like I am in sport mode all the time but have 8 speeds available. Firmed up a bit, but not too much. I'm running midway through full soft and firm, but I'm gonna play around some tomorrow. More pics to come.

Old 08-24-14, 03:38 PM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thank you for the pictures and comments!!
Old 08-24-14, 07:01 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Thats pretty awesome, how do you know what setting you are in? And how many adjustments are there?
Old 08-25-14, 02:50 AM
mello03
Pit Crew

Basically, they come dialed up to full stiff. I turned them once 180 degrees counter clockwise to run them at the midway point. That would be the new setting that you'd run every day. Then you place the AVS actuator on top and when you switch to sport/sport+ they dial up two more notches from normal. You just have to find your starting point and play with them, then put the actuator on from there to be able to stiffen them up a bit on the fly. I don't track this car so I will probably just find my setting and never mess with them after that.
Old 08-28-14, 07:27 AM
mello03
Pit Crew

So I've had the opportunity to put some miles on these this week and I am extremely happy with them. I have them dialed down one full turn from the hardest setting and I personally think that this gives me a ride very close to sport/sport +. They are firm, but not rough. I am extremely glad I went with the 10K front and 8K rear though as the 12/10 would have been too stiff for my liking. I guess I'm getting old... According to J5 you can turn them 1.5 turns (540 degrees) to get to full soft so I'm running them 33% up from full soft. My wife rode in my car when they were dialed up and wasn't impressed .

The handling of the car is amazing (like most coilovers will transform cars) and there is very little lean. It doesn't dart, but when you point it, it just goes. It really makes the car better than before in a big way. I thought the car handled pretty well before, but this is another level of course. I love being able to drive in eco/normal and still have this level of handling. I drive a lot of highway so I prefer to get some decent MPGs.

Install was fairly easy. The fronts are cake, but the rears are a pain because you have to drop the lower a arm and pull the shock. It is nice to have another set of hands available to guide things into place. My wife always loves helping me do these things . I ended up doing the rears 3 times because I'm admittedly OCD with my vehicles and I wanted the perfect amount of drop. Torqued everything back up with the suspension under load and it's nice and quiet. I got the tech at the dealer to print off all the torque specs for the rear suspension so that was cool.

So, the AVS modules when hooked back up (as far as I can tell) gives you basically three different settings to choose from. I could be wrong, but if you've ever looked at the module and the top of the shock you'll see that you have to line the pin up to get the module back on with a right hand turn. This means that from full stiff you have to turn the pin 180 degrees to get the module back on. If they are too stiff there you have to turn another 180 degrees to line things back up. If there is one thing I don't like about these that's it. IMO they are not as tunable as regular coilovers that eliminate the AVS. I guess that's the trade off unless I'm missing something. It's actually fine with me because I'm a "set it and forget it" type with my suspension and this car won't see the track.

The car when dropped one inch at all four corners stayed within spec to my surprise. The rear camber is off, but shouldn't be a significant issue for now. Alignment sheet is below.

Overall, these are sweet and the build quality is superb.

Front

Rear

Last edited by mello03; 08-28-14 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-03-14, 04:26 PM
J5usa
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mello03
So I've had the opportunity to put some miles on these this week and I am extremely happy with them. I have them dialed down one full turn from the hardest setting and I personally think that this gives me a ride very close to sport/sport +. They are firm, but not rough. I am extremely glad I went with the 10K front and 8K rear though as the 12/10 would have been too stiff for my liking. I guess I'm getting old... According to J5 you can turn them 1.5 turns (540 degrees) to get to full soft so I'm running them 33% up from full soft. My wife rode in my car when they were dialed up and wasn't impressed .

The handling of the car is amazing (like most coilovers will transform cars) and there is very little lean. It doesn't dart, but when you point it, it just goes. It really makes the car better than before in a big way. I thought the car handled pretty well before, but this is another level of course. I love being able to drive in eco/normal and still have this level of handling. I drive a lot of highway so I prefer to get some decent MPGs.

Install was fairly easy. The fronts are cake, but the rears are a pain because you have to drop the lower a arm and pull the shock. It is nice to have another set of hands available to guide things into place. My wife always loves helping me do these things . I ended up doing the rears 3 times because I'm admittedly OCD with my vehicles and I wanted the perfect amount of drop. Torqued everything back up with the suspension under load and it's nice and quiet. I got the tech at the dealer to print off all the torque specs for the rear suspension so that was cool.

So, the AVS modules when hooked back up (as far as I can tell) gives you basically three different settings to choose from. I could be wrong, but if you've ever looked at the module and the top of the shock you'll see that you have to line the pin up to get the module back on with a right hand turn. This means that from full stiff you have to turn the pin 180 degrees to get the module back on. If they are too stiff there you have to turn another 180 degrees to line things back up. If there is one thing I don't like about these that's it. IMO they are not as tunable as regular coilovers that eliminate the AVS. I guess that's the trade off unless I'm missing something. It's actually fine with me because I'm a "set it and forget it" type with my suspension and this car won't see the track.

The car when dropped one inch at all four corners stayed within spec to my surprise. The rear camber is off, but shouldn't be a significant issue for now. Alignment sheet is below.

Overall, these are sweet and the build quality is superb.

Front

Rear
Thank you for the great write up and explaining how our coilover works
Awesome wife to give you a hand, mine will just sit back lol.
you have my #, give me a ring if you need anything else. and I will send out the bracket as promised.
Old 09-04-14, 11:49 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

awesome write up man!! I'm glad J5 has different rate spring options. I went with the 12/10 myself

Love these coilovers. enjoy your ride!

Quick Reply: Who's running J5 AVS compatible?