Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Advice on Correcting Alignment after Lowering

Old 08-06-14, 02:15 PM
Sfrt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Correcting Alignment after Lowering

Hi - I've got my 2008 AWD IS250 slightly lowered on BCRs. Really not lowered much because I raised it back up to minimize the vibration/wobble issue common on the AWD. I do need some good advice on how to get my alignment right the easiest and most efficient way possible (=cheapest!). What's bugging me even more actually is that the steering feels much heavier turning left and super light turning right.
I've attached a recent alignment report here but keep in mind these numbers are now a bit different because I've raised it up a bit.
I'd appreciate your advice on the best products out there to achieve what I need (which I'd classify as mild correction), and I'd lean towards products that may save me money on labour (this won't be a DIY - unless it's simple enough that I won't require specialized tools like presses, clamps etc).
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Advice on Correcting Alignment after Lowering-image.jpg  
Old 08-06-14, 04:47 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

The steering feel change is normal.

They couldn't adjust the caster to within spec? I forget if there is a factory adjustment for that or not. Are you sure the rear sides are both the same height? Odd that the camber specs are a little off from each other like that, even after the "fix".
Old 08-07-14, 07:13 AM
Smashin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those numbers and corrections arent the best but can be better IMO... There are some triicks you can do to adjust it more. You can shift the front subframe is one of the main ones.
Old 08-07-14, 12:12 PM
Gville350

^Interesting that you know that; you work at a shop or something?
Old 08-07-14, 05:09 PM
Sfrt
Driver

Originally Posted by Smashin
You can shift the front subframe is one of the main ones.
^ is that a safe thing to do?
Old 08-07-14, 05:11 PM
Sfrt
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
The steering feel change is normal.

They couldn't adjust the caster to within spec? I forget if there is a factory adjustment for that or not. Are you sure the rear sides are both the same height? Odd that the camber specs are a little off from each other like that, even after the "fix".
Thanks for the feedback and advice. Re: the steering, you'd have to feel it really - it basically feels like you've got power steering when you go right, but not when you go left. Feels a bit forced.
Having all this checked out next week starting with checking ride height. Thanks again!
Old 08-08-14, 07:14 AM
Smashin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Interesting that you know that; you work at a shop or something?
Nope I just work on my own cars
Old 08-08-14, 07:16 AM
Smashin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sfrt
You can only shift the subframe so much to properly get the rest of your adjusments into spec(fine tune)
Old 08-08-14, 10:43 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes. All you are doing is using the manufacturing tolerances and bolt-hole slop to your advantage.

Back to original question, what about the alignment do you want "corrected"?
Old 08-12-14, 01:23 PM
Sfrt
Driver

Thanks everyone. So I finally had a chance to take it in for this issue. Turns out the front drivers side was sitting at least approx 1/4" higher than the passenger side which might explain the steering issue I was experiencing.
Ride height was checked and corrected all around, alignment was done and brought back within spec as much as possible. Only thing still out of spec is passenger rear camber.
Ride feels much better now and I'm feeling the huge difference in handling finally since putting in the sway bars last week.
Wouldn't mind some opinion as to the alignment readings - specifically, is it necessary and worth it for me to invest in any alignment kits for additional correction?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on Correcting Alignment after Lowering-image.jpg  
Old 08-13-14, 12:49 PM
Gville350

Glad you got this figured out!
Old 08-18-14, 01:25 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

...Ride feels much better now and I'm feeling the huge difference in handling finally since putting in the sway bars last week.
Wouldn't mind some opinion as to the alignment readings - specifically, is it necessary and worth it for me to invest in any alignment kits for additional correction?
Thanks.
You are kind of sending mixed signals. You mention a huge difference in handling, and then ask what else needs to be corrected. If you are only interested in getting back within factory alignment settings, and you are happy with the huge handling difference then you are done. If you are interested in making the car handle better, and/or reducing tire wear then you need to forget about "correcting" the alignment. The factory alignment specs are garbage and you need to add some adjustable suspension bits in order to get the car to behave the way YOU want it to, not the way Lexus wanted it to behave.
Old 08-25-14, 05:29 AM
Sfrt
Driver

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
You are kind of sending mixed signals. You mention a huge difference in handling, and then ask what else needs to be corrected. If you are only interested in getting back within factory alignment settings, and you are happy with the huge handling difference then you are done. If you are interested in making the car handle better, and/or reducing tire wear then you need to forget about "correcting" the alignment. The factory alignment specs are garbage and you need to add some adjustable suspension bits in order to get the car to behave the way YOU want it to, not the way Lexus wanted it to behave.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. In my last post, I said the ride height and alignment were corrected, with alignment being brought within spec as much as possible *without* the benefit of any aftermarket alignment parts.
My question was, given the alignment still isn't completely within spec but is fairly close, would it be worth the investment to add for example a rear adjustable camber arm to get fully within spec.
I have to believe factory spec isn't arbitrary and that it has some relationship to things like safety, component wear, handling predictability, etc. so that's where I'm coming from with this question. Thanks.
Old 08-25-14, 12:49 PM
Gville350

I don't need a completely new thread for my little comment, just thought I'd put it here. Anyone thinking or putting off or not getting an alignment at all after new suspension is installed OR adjusted (ride height), I highly recommend you re-think your decision. Even in my own case, I had to raise the ride height on my 2IS to help accommdate new 19s, and got an alignment done one week later. The differences I thought couldn't possibly be that great; but I DO feel a difference in the tracking AND a more positive feel during hard cornering.
Old 08-27-14, 11:56 AM
vividprmtv
Driver School Candidate

I've had a similar issue
bought it 3 years ago lowered already and just in the last year or so have noticed the insides of the front tires being eaten away, camber issue. Had alignment checked by two different shops where they stated they couldn't adjust beyond current settings. Tires are noisey too.

Any tips on how to adjust camber?

most recent alignment results

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on Correcting Alignment after Lowering