Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Use factory brakes? Or another brand for 99 SC400?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 07:35 AM
99custom
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Use factory brakes? Or another brand for 99 SC400?

I'm going to be doing the breaks on my wifes 99 SC400 with about 125k on it. She breaks pretty hard if that matters. Should I just stick with the factory OEM replacements or is their another brand you guys recommend for these cars. Also do you recommend changing the wheel bearings on these cars at the same time (It's something I normally do on other cars)... Thanks Guys....
Old 08-06-14, 01:39 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

there's LS400 brakes and TT brakes, those are the most commonly used. check out the "what's your entire brake set up" thread, people have posted what they're using.
Old 08-06-14, 01:46 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

I assume he's asking about just the pads, not upgrading the whole brake assembly. That's probably covered in the thread you referenced as well, though.

I haven't had to replace pads yet, so I've got no answer at this time.
Old 08-06-14, 04:10 PM
99custom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by t2d2
I assume he's asking about just the pads, not upgrading the whole brake assembly. That's probably covered in the thread you referenced as well, though.

I haven't had to replace pads yet, so I've got no answer at this time.
I'm just going to get the factory pads and resurface the factory rotors most likely. I don't need anything special since the car is completely stock, I just didn't want to install any cheap parts on it. I'm not too familiar with the aftermarket scene on these cars since I'm a GM guy. They seem pretty easy to work on though.
Old 08-06-14, 05:08 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ most people would suggest upgrading to LS400 calipers/rotors on SC's anyways. The stock brakes are fairly underpowered compared to the weight of the car. LS400 brakes only cost $2-300 and give the driver far more confidence in stopping the car on a dime when needed. They are also an easy direct bolt-on install
Old 08-06-14, 05:44 PM
99custom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
^ most people would suggest upgrading to LS400 calipers/rotors on SC's anyways. The stock brakes are fairly underpowered compared to the weight of the car. LS400 brakes only cost $2-300 and give the driver far more confidence in stopping the car on a dime when needed. They are also an easy direct bolt-on install
Thanks man.. I appreaciate that. I will most likely do that since my wife is a hard breaker, maybe they will be better suited for her.
Old 08-06-14, 05:52 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

^^ This is the truth. Swapping in front brake calipers from a 95-99 LS400 (well documented here on the forums as to how to do it) I think should be a given when owning an SC, especially a 98-2000 SC400 which has substantial horsepower. Requires a set of 17" wheels to clear the brakes (Supra TT wheels in chrome are a direct and stock looking fit for this) and uses OEM 95-99 LS400 brake pads (or whatever other brake pads are made for LS400's). The Supra TT calipers are the other option but are pricer and not needed for an otherwise stock car.

The braking confidence is night and day. The bigger calipers and discs have very solid stopping power and feel as if they should have come that way from the factory. They really should have.

Look on the CL classifieds section for a good set of them or possibly ebay.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...tallation.html

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-06-14 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-06-14, 05:56 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Have you checked to make sure the Rotors can be machined or if they are warped ?
Old 08-06-14, 06:03 PM
KahnBB6

And here's the LS400 brake swap thread from the main sticky page:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...or-my-sc4.html
Old 08-06-14, 11:30 PM
99custom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
And here's the LS400 brake swap thread from the main sticky page:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...or-my-sc4.html
Sweet Deal I really appreciate this help. I'm going to do the swap for my wife it will make her feel safer for sure.
Old 08-07-14, 09:34 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just FYI : Suspension and Tires have a large part to play in Stopping Distance as well. Read up on that statement, Its good to know.

For my own First Hand comparative Review of two Soarers:
Car A) and B) for ease of terms.
A) 330rwhp, OEM Brake hardware(same as SC400) with upgraded rotors and pads , Almost all new OEM Suspension (shocks, bushings, etc), 17" Summer Tires(245 and 285), Stock ride height. AUTO LSD

B) 230rwhp, New Coilovers - Lowered(almost No negative camber), on 18" All-Season Tires(245 and 275), LS400 brakes up front OEM in back, the same 20 year old suspension bushings/components as they haven't failed yet minus the coilovers... 5SPD no LSD

I'll save you the guessing, but we both drove each others' car, wanting to see how much of a difference the New Suspension and Brakes were vs the "OEM" stuff.
Both of us agree Car A) is far better in all areas. Maybe it doesn't look as "cool" because its not lowered, and has smaller rotors showing through the wheels up front, and no street "cred" because it doesn't have coilovers and a BBK.. etc.

so lets say the Coilovers SHOULD be a better suspension setup...
that leaves tires, all-seasons vs Summer, Sizing, brand, model, etc all plays a factor. but suspension also plays hard into this to ensure the contact patch of the tires stay in contact with the road,
does this mean that the extra car length his car took to stop was driver error, just the different speeds, maybe some dust on that side of the road... cant say the "tests" were 100% controlled. but Something has to be said for the faster car getting to the designated line first, and stopping at a distance shorter than the other car.. Slalom results were closer to each other, but A) definitely had a better feel and was faster around the course, we both believe Summer tires were the biggest factor for cornering and grip, even though they have larger sidewalls being 17" than the 18" all-seasons have for B)

Maybe there's other factors that are needing to be considered... old brake fluid in car B) vs new in Car A)
or weak caliper pistons... something..
but this brings up the point..
is upgrading to LS400/Supra Calipers/rotors/pads necessary when theres other things that likely need to be addressed first ?

So yes, upgrading with larger Brake Hardware will be beneficial, but I'm providing my input, car A) feels fine the way it is, could be better sure, but certainly could be worse.. the car however feels like a monster that still stops very quickly for how big/heavy it is.

Last edited by soarer93; 08-07-14 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-07-14, 03:54 PM
KahnBB6

^^ I actually agree with all of this, though I'll add fade resistance from repeated use of the brakes. I am not an engineer and won't get into a technical discussion on the subject but even driving a heavy '99 LS400 in my family (with these same OEM big brakes up front) you notice a big difference in terms of braking feel and repeatability versus a simpler sliding caliper design. That said, there is also a big difference in how the OEM LS chassis and OEM-spec tires handle braking versus the SC chassis but I digress.

But you're right, Soarer93: Certainly you need a very good set of tires and ideally a good (OEM or aftermarket) suspension and GOOD bushings in key areas to have the best possible experience stopping your SC. At least for a 92-97 SC300 which had smaller brakes than all SC400's there can be some question as to how safe the factory system really is unless one drives in the most sedate manner possible.

In reality it all works as a concerted system and the weakest link will show even with the best big brake conversion. Tires, especially.

Still, it's not the craziest conversion and an added benefit is that you have very good and long brake life, since the clamping force on the rotors is better distributed and the ultimate limits of the braking system (as to heat and wear) are significantly raised in normal day to day driving. This has been my experience with TT brakes on OEM TT pads. I'd actually like to know if 95-2000 LS400 owners consider their stock braking systems overkill, which is possible.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-07-14 at 04:03 PM.