Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

coilovers that simulate stockish feel but go low?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-14, 01:15 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
I've been considering swapping/trading out my TEIN SS coils for a simple shock/spring combo.

My goal is the same as OP. Back to a stock feel, while remaining lowered. I no longer need my SC to be my sports car. I'm not 16 anymore and I have a Porsche and a bike to pick up the slack.

Thoughts?
supra TT struts and OEM springs
lower? gixxer drew
lower? KW V3 coilovers
Old 08-14-14, 01:30 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Albatross
supra TT struts and OEM springs
lower? gixxer drew
lower? KW V3 coilovers
Thanks for the tips.

I don't remember exactly how much lower my car is vs. stock, but it's perfect for what I want. See pics:

What lowering spring will give me the same drop? I'd maybe consider a tiny bit lower, but it's not really practical going through downtown ATL.
Old 08-14-14, 01:44 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I helped my buddy install Tein CS's on his '99, and they are VERY close to stock ride comfort. I have crappy Megans on mine and the ride is night and day (obviously). T2d2 should probably go drive a car on a given mod/suspension before giving an opinion.
My buddy is on stock wheels right now, so he doesnt really have rubbing issues, but the one problem I can see is there would be a lot of rubbing/scraping with 18/19's - since the Comfort Sports are so soft (although I will say that we do have them on the softest setting, so tightening it up a couple notches will probably solve that issue as well).

If I can find a set of Comfort Sports I'd probably be jumping on them, since I'm not into the slammed bone jarring ride some people on this forum are. In fact, last I checked I thought Ltuned/Carson carried Tein CS's? But at $1800 the price was a little ridiculous (my buddy bought his used from the classifieds here for $650 and they're in perfect condition).

Your other option, although I have no experience with them, are BC's. Lotsa good reviews on them here.
Old 08-14-14, 01:47 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

My hope was to be able to sell my Tein SS set up and mostly fund the new set up. Hence why I think most coil overs are going to be out of the budget.

So for $5-600, am I looking at something like a Bilstein strut and Supra lowering springs?
Old 08-14-14, 02:14 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
T2d2 should probably go drive a car on a given mod/suspension before giving an opinion.
I figured that would touch a nerve with someone. Keep in mind, it wasn't my opinion. Rather that of the professional who installs, races, and sells the stuff. I have Teins on my other car and am luke warm on the setup. I didn't mention that when asking what he thought of Tein's offerings for the SC.
Old 08-14-14, 05:34 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

See if you can find a set of the H&R JZA80 Coilovers cheap or used. The ride is very compliant, maybe 35-40% firmer than stock but doesn't crash over road imperfections.

Originally Posted by SC_coupe

Coilover: H&R Street Performance for JZA80
Price: Can be found for less than $900 - MSRP is $1150.
Spring Rate: F - 9.2kg/mm R - 5.1 (515/285lbs/in)

Review: Think of these as a complete Gixxer_Drew-type setup in a box. The kit comes with H&R-branded Bilstein shocks (non-adjustable), H&R springs, and have an threaded collar for height adjustment. They re-use factory top hats and dust boots. Manufactured in Germany to TUV standards.These are a great option for someone looking to maintain compliance while lowering, or for daily use. They handle quite well on the street, although they would be too soft for regular track use.

Would buy again: Yes - if same pricing promotions applied.
Old 08-14-14, 08:56 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been considering swapping/trading out my TEIN SS coils for a simple shock/spring combo.

My goal is the same as OP. Back to a stock feel, while remaining lowered. I no longer need my SC to be my sports car. I'm not 16 anymore and I have a Porsche and a bike to pick up the slack.

Thoughts?
Go with Espelir ASD springs best lowering sprigs for the SC with a good 2 inch drop. I regret selling my set didnt think was going to get another SC after i was rear ended last year. Ill probably buy another set unless i find a good deal with something else, I like them that much.
Old 08-14-14, 09:37 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

I had the ASD springs on Tokicko (sp?) Blues shocks years ago. Too low at the time, but I was still using stock 16" wheels. Maybe on 18s they'd be more functional? Either way, there's zero adjustability there.

I'm leaning toward a Gixxer Drew set up. I just need to do more research to see if there's a different process for the SCs specifically vs. Drew's original plan.
Old 08-15-14, 01:00 PM
LexScPlat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
the espilars give you the lowest drop I think but probably affects the comfort the most because of that. since you are going with supra stuff the stock supra setup is already a 1" drop on a SC, so just get some regular lowering springs like the eibach pro kit that is more middle of the line drop and you will probably be a good balance with ride still.
thanks for the info!
Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I helped my buddy install Tein CS's on his '99, and they are VERY close to stock ride comfort. I have crappy Megans on mine and the ride is night and day (obviously). T2d2 should probably go drive a car on a given mod/suspension before giving an opinion.My buddy is on stock wheels right now, so he doesnt really have rubbing issues, but the one problem I can see is there would be a lot of rubbing/scraping with 18/19's - since the Comfort Sports are so soft (although I will say that we do have them on the softest setting, so tightening it up a couple notches will probably solve that issue as well).
If I can find a set of Comfort Sports I'd probably be jumping on them, since I'm not into the slammed bone jarring ride some people on this forum are. In fact, last I checked I thought Ltuned/Carson carried Tein CS's? But at $1800 the price was a little ridiculous (my buddy bought his used from the classifieds here for $650 and they're in perfect condition).
Your other option, although I have no experience with them, are BC's. Lotsa good reviews on them here.
This is what i was originally searching for when i first bought my sc about a month or so ago..I called several places to see if they had them but cant locate a set anywhere...there was a set on an ebay auction that i was watching bnib for 1300 starting bid but it was ended early due to the store selling straight from their website, ive been kicking myself every day since!!

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
See if you can find a set of the H&R JZA80 Coilovers cheap or used. The ride is very compliant, maybe 35-40% firmer than stock but doesn't crash over road imperfections.
The h&r coilovers I have been looking for the past couple of days now, they seem to have good reviews from supra guys and a couple vouches over here- someone likened them to gixxer_drew in a box..if i can find a set now ill jump on it
I had the ASD springs on Tokicko (sp?) Blues shocks years ago. Too low at the time, but I was still using stock 16" wheels. Maybe on 18s they'd be more functional? Either way, there's zero adjustability there.
I'm leaning toward a Gixxer Drew set up. I just need to do more research to see if there's a different process for the SCs specifically vs. Drew's original plan.
Mongoose, it looks like we are after the same exact thing! Right now im still hoping for Tein comfort sport to some how become available, reallistically I think i am s.o.l.! So im in between H&R coilovers( i think they are dicontinued though) or the Gixxer setup. Also im not really sure what the difference is between Gixxer_drew and supra bilsteins and supra lowering springs are...and I think espelir asd is also out of production
Old 08-15-14, 01:31 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

The difference between the bilstein/lowering spring combo and the Gixxer_Drew setup (If I'm not mistaken) is that the GD gives you height adjustability, but it's not made for anything older than mildly lowering your car. Mine isn't slammed, but I think it is lower than what is recommended for the GD system. There's so much info to absorb on that topic that it's overwhelming. Plus, there have been revisions to it over the years.
Old 08-15-14, 05:17 PM
LexScPlat
Driver School Candidate

Yea from what i've been reading about the gixxer setup it is definitely not made for going too low, in fact some pics of install in a sc seem to be about stock height or even higher in some cases? Ive seen some pics of Sc guys using billstein/eibach and to me it looks like a good height...im going to be rolling on 18's though and i dont want to mashing up my fenders if the billstein/eibachs are too low
Old 08-16-14, 08:31 AM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

Just throwing them out there, Fortune Autos w/ swift springs. Gonna be my next set up for coils if i don't go KW V3
Old 08-25-14, 12:19 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

After some more researching, I ended up buying a set of KYB G2 shocks and Eibach pro-kit springs. All for Supra fitment. Should be here by the end of the week.
Old 08-25-14, 12:21 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

After some more researching, I ended up buying a set of KYB G2 shocks and Eibach pro-kit springs. All for Supra fitment. Should be here by the end of the week.
That should be a good combination. Where were you able to find the supra eibach pro-kit springs? I thought they've been discontinued for some time now.
Old 08-25-14, 12:22 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
That should be a good combination. Where were you able to find the supra eibach pro-kit springs? I thought they've been discontinued for some time now.
I got a pretty good deal on a nice low mileage set from a guy over at SF.

Quick Reply: coilovers that simulate stockish feel but go low?