Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BCR Coilover blown shock??

Old 08-04-14, 08:27 PM
snoopin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCR Coilover blown shock??

Can anyone help me figure out this. I had my set up the way I want for good six months then just this past weekend. My front driver side just drop about half an inch. that when I started to hear rubbing noises. I raise it back up and still hear rubbing noises when going over bumps and right turns. Everything was tighten and professional installed. Could it be a blown shock or some sort.
Old 08-04-14, 08:47 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dropping roughly a half an inch sounds like the locking collar nut was not tightened enough or correctly. I read somewhere that a brass punch and a hammer is usually recommended for tightening those types of collars or the spanner wrench(es) that BC supplies is also sufficient. As for the rubbing on bumps and turns, that maybe a dampening issue possibly caused by under-dampening (dampening set too soft) or a problem/defect in the valving. I'd recommend trying to adjust the dampening to a stiffer setting for now and see if the rubbing continues, if it does then it maybe time to get into contact with BC and see what options they have for your coilover in question.
Old 08-04-14, 10:39 PM
Jaytea
Driver

I would say like above poster - could be a faulty valve. No way to know unless you take it apart and look at it. Is the driver side the only side dipping? Try to set it from 1 click from full hardness. If it's still dipping that may be the problem
Old 08-04-14, 11:19 PM
snoopin
Driver School Candidate

Its only the front driver side. And I never messed with the damper setting. I left everything as it is came out of the box and installed it. Hmm.
Old 08-05-14, 12:09 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snoopin
Its only the front driver side. And I never messed with the damper setting. I left everything as it is came out of the box and installed it. Hmm.
Ya, if you never touched the dampening then you should just turn it to full stiffness. Turn it clockwise. BC coilovers are so reliable. Don't think these minor problems should appear unless it's a defect.
Old 08-05-14, 05:08 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You'd see some type of leak and fluid around the area or wheel if it was blown.
Old 08-05-14, 07:31 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think a blown shock would change the ride height. The car is held up by the springs not the shock. The shock just dampens then spring. Agree with above posts it is probably just the ride height collar that became loose.
Old 08-05-14, 12:51 PM
snoopin
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I will turn it to full stiffness and see what happens. And new to all these things still learning. Thanks.
Old 08-05-14, 10:08 PM
snoopin
Driver School Candidate

Ok, still can't figure out the problem. I raise the vehicle to have a finger gap. Then turn the stiffness all the way to hard. Still hear rubbing noise, grinning noise, and sound like air being push out I would said. Only on turns and bumps. It doesn't look like it rubbing against anything now. Any thoughts now??
Old 08-08-14, 04:00 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its probably the shock itself. My BCRS are noisy as hell for some reason and they are damn near new. My preload is precisely set at 3mm, all my bolts have been neutralized. If you do a google search about BC coil over noise, you will see tons of people with all different type of vehicles complaining about the noise.

Some people on here have had good luck with them. This is my second set actually, my first set on my SRT4 were fine. But these seem to clunk and squeak on my IS350.

BC sells replacement shock cartridges, you can try giving them a call
Old 08-09-14, 10:22 AM
Gville350

Received 428 Likes on 383 Posts

^You running rubber top mounts? I run the optional pillowball mounts, and only have minor squeaking in the rears at low speeds in the mornings when cold.
Old 08-09-14, 10:33 AM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
^You running rubber top mounts? I run the optional pillowball mounts, and only have minor squeaking in the rears at low speeds in the mornings when cold.
Yeap, Running the rubber top mounts. Don't see why pillowball would make it quieter, OEM struts use rubber bushings in al their strut mounts