Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need SS Brake Lines Installed on 97 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-14, 06:13 AM
excaliber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need SS Brake Lines Installed on 97 SC400

Not sure if this is the proper forum, need upgraded stainless steel lines installed on my stock 97 sc400. Failed PA Inspection for cracking rubber on brake lines, would like to upgrade and pass asap, expired july.
I live in the Allentown area, can travel up to 30-50 miles for quality, experienced service. Just shoot me a fair price and you will have a customer for years.
Thank you in advance
Old 08-02-14, 11:20 AM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm about to fail coming up in September.

Off Topic: Do you attend the Lehigh Valley Cars and Coffee?

I go almost every time they have the event and I'm the only SC there
Old 08-02-14, 11:28 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

it's very simple job to do yourself. you don't even need to take the calipers off. just the wheel. here's a tutorial for the LS400, same exact thing though.
Old 08-03-14, 05:12 AM
excaliber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my car too much to subject it to my novice abilities. I can change the oil, change some plugs and bulbs, all else is for better minds (carwise anyway) than me.
Lexus wants too much, would rather have someone local make some cash for quality work. Will be buying the lines on ebay so any recommendations would be great too.
Have not attended any meets, just moved to area 2 years ago and still getting our footing in the new area, though we do love it here.
Let me know when/where and I will keep you company. My cars stock except for the IS rims but the color alone is worth showing off having survived 3 miami summers and 4 PA winters
Old 08-03-14, 02:10 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by excaliber
I love my car too much to subject it to my novice abilities. I can change the oil, change some plugs and bulbs, all else is for better minds (carwise anyway) than me.
Lexus wants too much, would rather have someone local make some cash for quality work. Will be buying the lines on ebay so any recommendations would be great too.
Have not attended any meets, just moved to area 2 years ago and still getting our footing in the new area, though we do love it here.
Let me know when/where and I will keep you company. My cars stock except for the IS rims but the color alone is worth showing off having survived 3 miami summers and 4 PA winters
Join the facebook group Lehigh Valley Cars and Coffee. I would be glad to gather a few SC's and head to the meet!

I'm about 45 minutes away form you, but I need SS brake lines as well.

I think I'm going to install them myself and if it's not too difficult I will let you know!

I'll make a DIY Guide also!
Old 08-03-14, 02:21 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly suggest staying AWAY from the eBay lines. The fitting on the ends is aluminum which is a very weak metal. After about 5 months of regular use (no racing) the fitting broke and I lost my breaks while driving. Needless to say it almost killed me.
When working on something as critical to your life as a cars brake system, you do NOT want to cheap out on eBay parts. Spend the $80 more and buy proper StopTech or Brembo SS lines.
Old 08-03-14, 08:45 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

i bought technafit SS lines for 120, they're stainless steel with another layer of nylon coating to prevent dust getting in between the stainless steel and corroding the nylon underneath. those are the lines i would recommend, you need to buy them for the supra however because they don't make them for the SC with the nylon on top. if you can change the oil, you can change the brake lines.

i on the other hand learned everything on this car, never worked on a car before, my build thread is all experimental and first time doing absolutely everything. it's all the same stuff, just loosen this, stick this in, tighten, it's all the same as changing the oil lol.

i have never changed my brake lines either and the tutorial i posted worked for me, if you don't wanna bleed your brakes after the change i understand that, some people think that's trivial as well. but changing lines is like changing bulbs except with screws involved as well.
Old 09-22-14, 11:48 PM
Coldworld
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a bad job u can do it