Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Who has prothane (or R2) control arm bushings in their car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-14, 06:14 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Who has prothane (or R2) control arm bushings in their car?

After talking with someone I'm thinking my prothane bushing kit might be causing my rear bumpt steer issue. I'm told that they aren't very good. I'm also told many people run them and I can feel the car being tighter after the install (but doing this wandering thing).

I've got spacers on the way to fill in my subframe mounts. If that doesn't help at ALL that should rule out the subframe bushings.

So who has prothane and who hates them and who likes them?
Old 07-26-14, 12:03 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Did my front and rear. Love them. I felt a big difference with the rears.
Old 07-26-14, 03:46 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Prothane's on my front end, and love them. Car handles excellent, no more "slosh" over bumps, car tracks straight at all speeds. Have not done the rear bushings yet, waiting till I do the diff, subframes, and sway bars.
Old 07-27-14, 01:10 AM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from just prothane in the front LCAs to the complete kit front and rear, plus poly engine and diff mounts, and solid subframe bushings. My car handles way better, and to my my bump steer has reduced.

I would avoid the subframe spacers, that's just a band aid to the real problem. Just replace all your subframe bushings with solid.
Old 07-27-14, 06:02 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

I just wanted to verify that the prothane bushings weren't the issue. I've only heard good things about them but someone told me they're not stiff enough etc etc.

Thanks guys! keep the reviews coming!
Old 07-27-14, 10:55 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

I too had the front only bushings replaced with a Prothane kit and have had great results. Might do the rears later down the line when the time comes....

Car steers and corners quite well.....
Old 07-27-14, 02:21 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got Prothane for front and rear upper and lower and Daizen on my steering rack, and car drives perfectly well compared to my other SC that's still all stock except for the steering rack too with Daizen. But stiffness-wise, I prefer driving my all stock SC than the one with complete polyurethanes.
Old 07-27-14, 07:40 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bump steer will not occur from a bushing change. Are you lowered?
Old 07-28-14, 07:19 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Bump steer will not occur from a bushing change. Are you lowered?
I'm lowered on supra TT struts and eibach springs. Before I dropped the subframe I did notice that my sway bar looked as if it had been scooting from left to right by about a half inch. Since the swaybar is mounted on the chassis and the rest of the suspension is only connected by 4 bolts it looks like another clue supporting my theory about the bushings being too squishy.

We'll see just how good these supplemental bushings are since they should be here tonight. to all the guys saying don't bother, if you had a potential fix showing up tonight would you not try it?

I don't think so. Superpro says they'll do the deed. We'll see if they're full of win or... other stuff.
Old 07-28-14, 02:40 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are ALL your rear bushings replaced? The reason I ask is because getting bump steer is actually kind of difficult to do assuming your suspension geometry is intact. The dynamic change in toe really only occurs after a misalignment in the arms during travel.

Worn bushings can definitely do it. Prothanes should be a fix.
Thats assuming what you have is true bump steer as measured on a rack during compression and not just a 'wandering' feel.
Old 07-28-14, 03:29 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Are ALL your rear bushings replaced? The reason I ask is because getting bump steer is actually kind of difficult to do assuming your suspension geometry is intact. The dynamic change in toe really only occurs after a misalignment in the arms during travel.

Worn bushings can definitely do it. Prothanes should be a fix.
Thats assuming what you have is true bump steer as measured on a rack during compression and not just a 'wandering' feel.
all bushings have been replaced except for subframe and diff bushings.

I just got the supplemental bushings in. I've seen other bushings making the claim and these are by far the most robust examples I've seen. They're made from the really hard superpro material and fit inside the grooves of the subframe bushings. I really think that these will remove any slop from the subframe bushings which will at least help IF thats what my problem is.

at 60mph if I'm not on perfectly level smooth pavement my rear tries to steer out from under me.

what does that sound like to you?
Old 07-28-14, 09:00 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Review of supplemental bushings: I'm not sure how much they made a difference but they didn't fix the "wandering" at highway speeds. It seems like they didn't eliminate the problem where the rear wants to walk out but they did seem to firm up the rear so that when I correct it the car doesn't bounce back and forth.

I'm going to check all my control arms tomorrow. Right now I'm really hoping there's a loose nut or something.

Sincerely,
Frustrated
Old 07-28-14, 10:19 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still feel that the supplement bushings won't help at all.

Also did you get them for the rear mount and the front bushings for the subframe?

Also have you retorqued down your subframes? Our subframes, should be retorqued down every so often.
Old 07-28-14, 10:22 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the problem of my rear end wanting to drive around me on any kind of road surface except smooth. Rear end was out of alignment & and eating tires. Corrected it by zeroing rear end out to specs. I have a complete set of Prothane bushings for the rear but have not installed yet, but that is just to fix the worn bushings. If you go to the Ikeya web site they have specs on how to align your car for the lowered stance, if the stock arms will allow you to move them enough, as you have changed the dynamics of your suspension from other than the designed specs. You may even have to buy non stock arms to correct problem.
Old 07-29-14, 06:18 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AnonymousG
I still feel that the supplement bushings won't help at all.

Also did you get them for the rear mount and the front bushings for the subframe?

Also have you retorqued down your subframes? Our subframes, should be retorqued down every so often.
I just ordered TRD supra bushings this morning to completely rule out them as the problem. today I'm going to look at all of the control arms in the rear closely and hopefully find something.

Ramblerman - the car has been aligned according to specs others have run with similar or the same setups. this is not an alignment issue.

no one seems to know if the diff shifting can cause this. i wish someone did.

Last edited by Albatross; 07-29-14 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Who has prothane (or R2) control arm bushings in their car?