Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Who has prothane (or R2) control arm bushings in their car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 07:28 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

I'm curious what kind of tires you have and how long you drove on them before your current alignment/when the problem started?

It's possible that the tires could have an unusual wear from the previous alignment (or lack of) and with the new alignment makes the car feel unstable when hitting a bump. Also depending on the brand, model, and age it could just be a characteristic of how the tire drives.

An easy way to check this is to swap out the rims and tires.
Old 07-29-14, 07:35 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I'm curious what kind of tires you have and how long you drove on them before your current alignment/when the problem started?

It's possible that the tires could have an unusual wear from the previous alignment (or lack of) and with the new alignment makes the car feel unstable when hitting a bump. Also depending on the brand, model, and age it could just be a characteristic of how the tire drives.

An easy way to check this is to swap out the rims and tires.
they're 275's bf goodrich gforce comp 2's. they've got perfectly even treadwear. the tires with uneven wear were on the front because the car was slammed on coilovers.

I wish I had a gopro so i could video what its doing. its a very weird thing, i've been modding cars for a LONG time and i've never run into this.

hopefully the TRD bushings correct the issue and I can move on to enjoying my car again.
Old 07-29-14, 07:53 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Did you replace the tires in the front?

The only reason I ask is because I remember when I first changed out my bushings I had a pair of Pirelli all season tires in the front, and bridgestone turanzas in the rear and the car had driven fine up until that point at stock height. After swapping out the bushings and getting an alignment the car would start to wander every time I hit a bump or changed lanes. I swapped the tires out for a set of Michelin super sports and realigned the car. The problem went away after that. If I understand your problem correctly it sounds similar, so I figured I'd throw it out there.
Old 07-29-14, 10:18 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Update: checked every balljoint under the car with a pry bar (wedging it in and trying to wiggle the control arms) and found a bad one. that would make a lot of sense.
Old 07-29-14, 03:06 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Puzzle: solved

Not truly bumpsteer as you describe it and definitely consistent with a bad balljoint.
Old 07-29-14, 10:23 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny you didn't find that loose ball joint when you had it aligned, but that would do it. they do feel the road. Good luck.
Old 08-08-14, 06:52 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Update and thread conclusion:

This was the problem

This is how I fixed it; Figs rear toe links. Note: They are 3/8" longer than the stockers so you lose about 2/8" toe in adjustment if you are at the supra strut/eibach height in the rear. I had to add a tiny bit of -camber to get enough toe in to be good at speed. I'll dial out the camber when I have time to see exactly how much is needed.