Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help me decide which coils...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-14, 02:17 PM
MKEsc300
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help me decide which coils...

So I'm going to be buying coils within the next week or so and I HAVE searched here quite a bit but nothing has really helped me. im stuck between the Stance ss+ (GR+) and BC coilovers. If anyone has imput on either coil setup it would help me decide. And for the stance coilovers why are the front spring rates so high at 18K? do they ride very hard. and why are the rears only 10K. if I got BC coils I would get 14k/12k spring rates. And I ask because ive head nothing but great things about stance coils from on cars, it just seems weird for the spring rates.... this will also be for a daily driver with occasional track duty on the weekends

Last edited by MKEsc300; 07-19-14 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-19-14, 04:08 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,224 Likes on 859 Posts

I've heard good things about BC Coilovers but I can't speak from experience.

I daily a Gixxer-Drew Hypercoil/Bilstein suspension on 600/325 rates and an MKIV Supra rear sway bar swap. It's very, very compliant and predictable with modified MKIV alignment settings (aka "Lance Alignment" but toned down a bit for better tire wear). Because of the poor roads in L.A. I think the 500/250 version is best for a daily car. Very similar handling to the rates I am running with less harshness over badly maintained roads due to the track-oriented linear rate springs. Ride height, as designed, is very close to OEM however.

Tein's electronically adjustable coil overs have always made me curious though. Stu Hagen uses one of their adjustable models in his MKIV TT and that made me consider researching them again.

For lowering capability and price/value, probably either the BC or Stance models. I just see BC being added to these cars frequently from the USA to Australia, for what it's worth. If you don't care about lowering but want very good handling and want to spend just around $1k only, the do-it-yourself Gixxer suspension is hard to beat.