Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How many guy are using poweredbymax coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 07:22 PM
acacg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How many guy are using poweredbymax coilovers?

Ive been on the forum a bit now. I don't post much but read most posts that interest me. but my question is how stiff are they supposed to be? I figured 18k or 20k should be pretty stiff considering the weigh of the SCs.

I wonder if the wrong springs were put on my set during assembly. Cant really tell what came with it because the springs are plated.

The front feels like cut springs and blown shocks. The rear feels about right. My current car is a 97 sc400. im just bummed out when I really thought these were "the coilovers".

ive been emailing pbm back and forth for a couple of weeks now and doesn't seem to go anywhere. hope the come up with something. ive email videos of me pushing on the hood on soft and hard setting.

just want your input on this. love how low its sits though
Old 07-15-14, 07:41 PM
acacg
Driver

Old 07-15-14, 09:38 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

all coilovers that i've felt have horrible ride quality compared to stock, i have megan racing EZ street coils and they're awful lol. but that's what you get with coilovers i guess
Old 07-15-14, 09:58 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My D2's are 15/9 and the car doesn't have a millimeter of body roll. You're overdoing it.
Old 07-16-14, 12:11 AM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I have pbm and its GREAT! Did you adjust the damping?

cut springs are the worst. A friend had cut springs on his car and I couldn't even sit in there for a minute.
Old 07-16-14, 07:39 AM
acacg
Driver

Originally Posted by ArkLaTexSC
My D2's are 15/9 and the car doesn't have a millimeter of body roll. You're overdoing it.
I'm doing everything by their suggestions. No preloading springs and yada yada... I'll post a video I sent pbm when I get home tonight.

Last edited by acacg; 07-16-14 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-16-14, 07:42 AM
acacg
Driver

Originally Posted by k7q
I have pbm and its GREAT! Did you adjust the damping?

cut springs are the worst. A friend had cut springs on his car and I couldn't even sit in there for a minute.
Man I've done all of the above. The fronts are on hard all the way. The rears are 4 clicks up from zero and the rear still feels stiffer than the front.
Old 07-16-14, 02:12 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

funny I was looking into PBM for a comparison.
I do not own an SC, but according to their website it says their stock spring rates are 18K front and 12K rear for your car. (BC coilovers list theirs at 14K front and 8K rear for the SC300/400)

http://www.partsshopmax.com/page.php?53

I own a Gen 1 Gs300, and on my BC coilovers there is a sticker on each strut/catridge that shows the tension and compression rates of that individual strut. Do you have this sticker on each strut, and if so what are the tension and compression numbers? I only ask because rumor is PBM, BC, Megan and many other coilovers are made by the same factory under different specs. Windflower? I think.

If you DO have a sticker on the dampers(not springs), my spring rate is 14K front / 12K rear(sprint springs upgrade) just for reference.

My front right damper sticker says tension is 422 kg/f:0.2 and compressions is 144 kg/f:0.2.
My front left damper sticker says tension is 421 kg/f:0.2 and compressions is 141 kg/f:0.2.

I did not check the rears yet. Once I do I will post for reference. I plan also on calling BC in florida to make sure that the dampers I received are the correct ones for my spring rate.

the ride is great on smooth concrete. and decent on the bad roads with what I have the "clicks" set at. It took a while for me to get it to this point and honestly I still am not happy when compared to other cars I've rode in.

Last edited by kene; 08-01-14 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-16-14, 06:33 PM
acacg
Driver

Originally Posted by kene
funny I was looking into PBM for a comparison.
I do not own an SC, but according to their website it says their stock spring rates are 18K front and 12K rear for your car. (BC coilovers list theirs at 14K front and 8K rear for the SC300/400)

http://www.partsshopmax.com/page.php?53

I own a Gen 1 Gs300, and on my BC coilovers there is a sticker on each strut/catridge that shows the tension and compression rates of that individual strut. Do you have this sticker on each strut, and if so what are the tension and compression numbers? I only ask because rumor is PBM, BC, Megan and many other coilovers are made by the same factory under different specs. Windflower? I think.

If you DO have a sticker, my setup is 16K front / 12K rear just for reference.

My front right sticker says tension is 422 kg/f(?) and compressions is 144 kg/f(?).
My front left sticker says tension is 421 kg/f(?) and compressions is 141 kg/f(?).

I did not check the rears yet. Once I do I will post for reference. I plan also on calling BC in florida to make sure that the dampers I received are the correct ones for my spring rate.

the ride is great on smooth concrete. and decent on the bad roads with what I have the "clicks" set at. It took a while for me to get it to this point and honestly I still am not happy when compared to other cars I've rode in.

I have not seen a single number on them but ill try checking again... Ill let you know.

I bought them from others reviews and so far im not happy at all.

I had S14 with tein type flex and they are super stiff when dampers were all the way up. I know theres a weight diff between an s14 and an SC400. Come on. Its common sense and its just numbers. Weight goes up spring rates go up.

here a video of it on softest setting.

does not feel like 18Ks to me.

heres on the 12th click

Last edited by acacg; 07-16-14 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-16-14, 08:35 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Pbm dont have writing indicating the spring weight. I think it was just a sticker. I had a friend complaining about the fronts being bouncy on his car also. In the end I think he returned them.
Old 07-17-14, 05:44 AM
acacg
Driver

Originally Posted by k7q
Pbm dont have writing indicating the spring weight. I think it was just a sticker. I had a friend complaining about the fronts being bouncy on his car also. In the end I think he returned them.
mine have nothing on them. I just hope they give me some hope when I call today. its frustrating... or I may just have to return them.
Old 07-17-14, 08:18 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow!, thats crazy. I'd return those too.
Old 07-17-14, 03:11 PM
acacg
Driver

well. I called them and they had another costumer with the same issue. it was the dampers so they are gonna ship me the new pair of dampers and hope that will be my fix. FINGERS CROSSED. ill keep you guys posted.
Old 07-17-14, 07:25 PM
ZachTriggs
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running my pbms for three years or so and they rode great for how low I was
Old 07-17-14, 09:57 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am now thinking of playing with the preload as well to get it where I feel most comfortable.
have you tried that as well?

Edit: whoa..just saw videos. The softest setting seems way off...not sure if that is 18K man. Im not an expert in this arena, but I will try to take video of me doing the same thing on my coilovers softest setting. I dont know how effective this would be considering that PBM and BC racing may very well have different damper dyno graphs.

I also plan to buy a PBM damper cartridge and see if the threading will mate to my BC racing coilover equipment. I strongly believe that this hybrid will match up. If it does work then you will have other options to possibly remedy your problem by using the bc racing strut catridges and selecting which custom damper will fix your issue.

Last edited by kene; 07-17-14 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: How many guy are using poweredbymax coilovers?