Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shock tower banging solution!!!!!! No cutting required!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-14, 06:12 PM
Jlok619
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shock tower banging solution!!!!!! No cutting required!!!!

Holy *****!!! So i'm pretty *****in stoked right now because I found a way to get rid of that UCA bottoming out on the shock tower. I was reluctant to cut a hole because of the danger of weakening the front end, so a brilliant idea was passed down from one of my mechanic buddies.

What you will need:
Siscors
Heavy Duty double sided tape
Soap, water, 2 towels
A lighter or torch (prefferably)
Zip-ties
Utility knife

Now, go to a tire shop, ask for an old sidewall off a tire they dont need. Now go home and jack up your car so you can see the spot where the arm has been hitting metal. Clean the area throughly with soap and water. DRY the area!!!! Make sure you measure roughly how big of a square you will need off the tire sidewall. The idea is to use a square piece of tire to act as a bushing or cushion between the shock tower and UCA. So once your area is perfectly clean and dry, start cutting out your square piece of tire. Next, clean the ***** out of that piece of tire with soap, hot water, and then dry it. Now i cut out three pieces of double sided tape the length of the chunk of tire. Then with a lighter or torch set to LOW, gently hit the outside of the tire piece (the side that will be stuck to the top of the shock tower) you dont want to melt or light the rubber on fire, you just want to give the tape a stickier surface to grab on to. Now place the tape on the outter piece of the tire, so the entire surface is covered in double sided tape. Next, stick the piece of tire to the spot where your UCA has been marking the metal in your shock tower. Make sure you apply enough pressure to stick the piece of tire flat to your shock tower (heating up the rubber makes this easier too). Once it is in place just lower your car off the jack and repeat on the other side. On the driver side there is a small 10mm bolt that holds up what i believe is the car's horn. I had to remove that bolt becAuse that was hitting the UCA really bad on that side. I used zip-ties to secure the horn back in place and not have a bolt sticking into the shock tower. I know this is super ghetto, but believe me, after hearing that *****in banging for 6 months, i was willing to try anything except cutting. Here are some before and after pics..

image hosting no register

free upload pictures
Old 09-02-14, 07:31 AM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good tip.. Thanks.. Never thought about using a sidewall as a bump stop..