Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New Front Struts at 95K?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-14, 06:20 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Question New Front Struts at 95K?

So while driving I thought I smelled transmission fluid, I looked around and found no leaks but what I did find was my entire right front strut covered in oil, i assume its been doing it for about a week as thats when the smell first started, so I'm going to assume when the strut is leaking, but just like the title states, is it normal for a strut on these GSs to go out at 95k miles? While the car is a 2002, and I realize it varies from person to person, this seems a bit early to me. On my es300, my struts were just starting to go at 140k miles. Only the right side is leaking, pretty badly but it doesn't seem to make any abnormal noises (yet), but I figured i should just change both at once before school starts. I got one for $54 shipped from Rock Auto, and $68 for another from Amazon. Both are KYB GR2 (PN 3412660) and from what i've been reading on here this is the one to get and the price i paid wasn't bad either. I'll also just replace both caster arms and tie rods while I'm at it which have been sitting in the garage along with the front tie rods for a while (i keep telling myself I'll get it done but now i really will). Besides the question if these wore prematurely, is there anything else i should order along with the struts? The boots are still in good shape, the UCAs, endlinks, sway bar bushings, and ball joints have already been changed. I really can't think of there being anything left to change in the front. Any input would be great, thanks.
Old 07-05-14, 09:24 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The shocks completely failing with a leak, is a bit atypical. But usually, by 90k miles or even less, your shocks should still be functional, but far from ideal; and you will experience a ride improvement if you replace at that time or even earlier. I changed out my shocks around 60k miles to bilstein HDs and regretted I didn't do it sooner.

Still, your expectations are a bit skewed as time is a factor. It's a 12 year old car. You need to expect that you got the short straw and got some bad luck on something. It is the same boat as a guy who gets a sticky brake caliper or the starter going out or something else failing, it happens.

The other way to think about it, is the sooner you replace, the sooner you can enjoying the improved car; rather then sticking it out with the crappy ride that you probably didn't even notice. If the new shocks last as long, you are good for another 12 years.

You should change the shock mounts at the same time. And get an alignment when all your suspension work is done.

Last edited by raytseng; 07-05-14 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-06-14, 10:10 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i havent had any good experiences with kyb's. theyre cheap but its cause they dont last long. (from my experience of course)

i went with bilsteins and i put 40k on them so far and theyre still perfect.