Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-14, 09:32 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers Which one?

Before you start bashing me to go search. I did.
I have spent probably 3 months searching the forums trying to get the info and can't seem to find what I need. This is why I am posting the question.

My stock struts are leaking. My springs are old. 93 SC300 195k miles.

I was thinking of just replacing all around with Brand New Supra Struts and Springs. Called Carsons it will run me $1200. So I though why not just go coilovers?

Here is where the issue comes in, most people do crazy things to their cars that make them look good but undrivable. So searching just doesn't work for me.

I need a set of coilovers that will keep that Lexus Luxury Driving Feel while still giving me better performance over stock.
I may drop the car at most 1" but probably .5" or less. and That is because with the 18's and a 275/35 tire I dont want to roll fenders
I do not track the car
I dont drift
I drive it to work on NYC roads which suck. I drive 50miles a day and want to be comfortable and not banging around in the car.

Anyone have an idea of which brand I should look into which model. Please also post your experiance with said brand. My budget is around the $1200 mark. But if something will give me what I want and I have to throw in a little more that is fine. I plan on keeping this car a long long long time.

Help!
Old 06-22-14, 03:03 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

I had similar "wants" but be prepared that coil overs will not be as smooth as a stock suspension. Coil overs on low profile tires on bad roads will not go well together (and I am in California with relatively "good" roads and I can feel a quarter when I run over it...-sarcasm - but not that much of an exaggeration ).

Did the same research and went up and down the selections. Many questions, reading hundreds of posts, opinions, and stories. Ended up going with a Tein model that is adjustable.

Once you make a product choice, installing and configuring them to your needs comes next. I went about 1.5 inches lower than the stock height and was able to avoid pulls/rolls due to careful research and selecting wheels/tires to get that fit.

I like the Tein (Street Flex) coil overs that are 16 way adjustable; they are 14kg front and 8kg rear spring rates (a lot of people go much stiffer but they were more than adequate for my casual needs).

Good luck on your research and final decision.
Old 06-22-14, 04:39 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the gixxer drew setup would be ideal for your wants/needs. best bang for the buck for something besides coilovers.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ion-setup.html

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...nsion-thread..

"$379 Toyota Supra Bilstein Shock set (SHOX.COM)
QTY2 part num. AK1242 for Front shocks
QTY2 part num. AK1243 for Rear shocks
QTY 4x Bilstein Coilover Sleeve Kit Bilstein part #193117 these are the 2" sleeves(summit racing) http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Hypercoil Springs
QTY X2 $55 ea Front: 8" x 2.5"ID 500lb/in rate (shock-shop.com)
QTY X2 $55 ea Rear 10" x 2.5"ID 250lb/in Rate (shock-shop.com)
Bump stops
QTY X2 Energy Suspension Bump stops part number 4.6103G (they come in pairs of two so you will have four total bump stops) horsepower freaks carries these as should almost anywhere they are a mustang application"
Old 06-22-14, 10:04 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

I put Teins on my other car and while it corners like a bat out of hell, ride comfort is, well, non-existent. I just replaced my SC400's blown struts with KYB OEM replacements last week, and boy does it feel good. The wheel gap up front borders on embarrassing, but I don't see it when I'm in the car. Price was $260, plus $100-150 for labor. That leaves lots of room in your budget for other upgrades.

Both setups are satisfying in their own way, but if I were to do it over again, choosing one or the other for both, I think I would go with stock struts.
Old 06-22-14, 11:55 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

i have Megan EZ street coil overs. they're harsh, i feel everything but i'm 21 and idc about ride comfort lol. i don't think there's any comfortable coilovers except maybe Stance coilovers because they're not really meant for performance but i'm not sure. my coilovers were only 800 bucks so they're not too expensive but i doubt you'll find any coilovers that are like Lexus ride quality.
Old 06-23-14, 03:02 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by iridebmx
the gixxer drew setup would be ideal for your wants/needs. best bang for the buck for something besides coilovers.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ion-setup.html

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...nsion-thread..

"$379 Toyota Supra Bilstein Shock set (SHOX.COM)
QTY2 part num. AK1242 for Front shocks
QTY2 part num. AK1243 for Rear shocks
QTY 4x Bilstein Coilover Sleeve Kit Bilstein part #193117 these are the 2" sleeves(summit racing) http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Hypercoil Springs
QTY X2 $55 ea Front: 8" x 2.5"ID 500lb/in rate (shock-shop.com)
QTY X2 $55 ea Rear 10" x 2.5"ID 250lb/in Rate (shock-shop.com)
Bump stops
QTY X2 Energy Suspension Bump stops part number 4.6103G (they come in pairs of two so you will have four total bump stops) horsepower freaks carries these as should almost anywhere they are a mustang application"
I read the gixxer_drew and since i am not doing the work but having a shop do it i cannot ask him to read the post and make it so. i need something that comes all setup and the shop can install and then we can just adjust to the proper settings.
Old 06-23-14, 05:12 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xshurikx
I read the gixxer_drew and since i am not doing the work but having a shop do it i cannot ask him to read the post and make it so. i need something that comes all setup and the shop can install and then we can just adjust to the proper settings.
If your shop can't figure out how to put it together without instructions, please go to a different shop.
I never actually used the gixxer_drew instructions myself. The Honda and Mustang guys have been putting together their own coilovers for ages and making fun of the premade JDM suspensions with far too much compression, poor rebound control, and nearly no options to revalve.

Cliff notes for your shop: Take shock. Take spring perch. Combine. Take spring. Combine. Take top hat. Combine. Take beer break. Pee. Wash hands (optional). Align the car and charge for 2.5 hours labor @ $90 an hour.
Old 06-23-14, 05:40 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
If your shop can't figure out how to put it together without instructions, please go to a different shop.
I never actually used the gixxer_drew instructions myself. The Honda and Mustang guys have been putting together their own coilovers for ages and making fun of the premade JDM suspensions with far too much compression, poor rebound control, and nearly no options to revalve.

Cliff notes for your shop: Take shock. Take spring perch. Combine. Take spring. Combine. Take top hat. Combine. Take beer break. Pee. Wash hands (optional). Align the car and charge for 2.5 hours labor @ $90 an hour.
that's Funny. I can see what you are saying. but isn't there some sort of fabrication going on and weren't they putting parts that don't directly fit the car? wasn't that the reason for the disclaimer???

Did i miss something in the setup? i will go re-read. but if people are saying its that good maybe i should get it.
Old 06-23-14, 05:56 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Originally Posted by xshurikx
that's Funny. I can see what you are saying. but isn't there some sort of fabrication going on and weren't they putting parts that don't directly fit the car? wasn't that the reason for the disclaimer???

Did i miss something in the setup? i will go re-read. but if people are saying its that good maybe i should get it.
Depends how you look at it. You are supposed to buy a sleeve kit that fits over ALL bilstein shock bodies. Technically, it IS designed for that shock. I would expect any shop to be able to install them. ESPECIALLY a suspension guy. He will charge more for assembly but if he freaks out about it, you really should see someone else. It quick and simple. If you consider using a hacksaw to cut a plastic tube then yes, it requires 'fabrication'
Old 06-23-14, 06:42 PM
xshurikx
Driver

ok after that post i did a little more reading and its just putting the parts together.

what i did not see was the part number of the springs he used? anyone know which springs are good to use with that setup? it seems pretty cheap and yes my guy can probably put it together.

the mechanic does wonders. for a small time shop he took 2 Ferrari's one with bad engine the other with bad transmition and made a good running car out of it by doing the swaps. I think he can handle some coilovers.
Old 06-23-14, 06:44 PM
xshurikx
Driver

never mind i found it on the site

Strange Engineering SP10250 - Strange Hypercoil Springs

sounds strange pardon the pun.

i just have to figure out 8 or 10 front/rear...

and i need some new tophat. the strut mounts should definetly be changed so the whole thing is new. dont want to half-*** a job

it seems he doesnt want the drop either and i like that idea
Old 06-23-14, 07:15 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Ok so one more question. I basically got all the parts in a cart and they all match up.

what i cant figure out is if i need bump stops or not? and where the heck can i find them horespower freaks as he suggested does not find bump stops or the part number???

and which top hats can i use with this setup. i want to change them so the car is super smooth mine are 20 years old after all.
Old 06-23-14, 07:21 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

I used stock. They don't fit well but they have worked so far.
Old 06-25-14, 11:12 AM
xshurikx
Driver

yeah but i dont want to use stock anyone know which model will work part number or something?
Old 06-25-14, 11:48 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
i doubt you'll find any coilovers that are like Lexus ride quality.
KW v3 is suppose to ride better than stock according to the few people who own them.

Quick Reply: Coilovers Which one?