Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shifting clunk into drive or reverse

Old 06-26-14, 10:40 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
^ Bingo. That 'clunk' you hear when you put it in drive is the rear upper control arm shifting due to worn bushings.
i'm sure ours are worn then with especially us with 70k+ miles

Last edited by tmf2004; 06-26-14 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-26-14, 12:16 PM
goodyonsen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Bingo. That 'clunk' you hear when you put it in drive is the rear upper control arm shifting due to worn bushings.
Very interesting.

This issue is also starting to affect my 2003 430 with 95k on it. I need new rear pads, so my plan is to replace rears with oem or ceramic pads, fit the oem shim kit, check the rotor for movement, then if the problem is still there I'll move onto the rear upper arms.
Old 06-26-14, 01:24 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is def. Something I would check, good call on that. Btw, haha what I'm experiencing is exactly that your describing as well believe me, almost feels as if it's torquey, and in a sense I could def. Imagine weak brakes aiding to that. But if your tranny mounts weren't bad, then lol, why'd you even change them, 2gs's motor and tranny mounts are known to go, are you assuming they were good because you didn't swap them and they told you this? Well anyhow I'm going to be installing my whole big brake kit probably this weekend, (as long as my rotors come in) and while I've got the car up there I'm going to take a feel for the RUCA's as well, if the issue goes away after the brake system install, then great! We know, and I'll report back about how my arms feel as well, as I'm 100% sure they have to be shot... That's prob the issue good call ^ thanks
Old 06-26-14, 06:26 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BertDeclan
Hey Behemoth-Just got my car back after similar complaint plus clicking, every time I go forward or reverse. The clicking was the Brake pad shim clips and the Loud Clunk was, believe it or not, my Frt/Lft brake rotor bolt holes had become elongated only about 1/16-1/8th". Can't believe that was causing that god awful 'Clunk/Clang' EVERY time I went forward or back. Using the brake did change the sound, but didn't eliminate it. I'd have your guy check for out of round rotor bolt holes. We didn't SEE the problem because the holes weren't elongated enough to show behind the Bolt heads, so you have to hold the hub and turn the rotor. Sounds like your issue may be something drivetrain oriented, but it's worth a look. Hope you find your 'Clunk'. Getting rid of mine was worth the cost of a pair of new rotors, definitely. GL
Agree..... The more I ponder about this it also makes me question if the clunk, which doesn't even happen everytime Btw, but it's hard to imagine that the bushings would be so worn that it would cause metal to metal contact, to me it seems like there must be some play else where as well to cause that kind of torque to cause (if it is the bushings) the have metal to metal. Btw OP, tranny mounts, motor mounts, don't have to be no longer "intact" for a lack of a better term, in order to exhibit the indicators of them being "bad" and also, your Trans sends torque to your drive shaft that's connected to your differential, which also distribute force to your axles.... I hope for the best for you buddy, I just don't have the most faith in these trannys, they all do the same s*** and it's aggravating as hell. Just take a pry bar and feel for play when you take your brakes apart or what not... Actually take it to everything lol, I will too... Hope nothings loose...
Old 06-27-14, 06:28 AM
STREETGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go on youtube type gs300 rear carrier bushing play)
Old 06-29-14, 02:34 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

I just had my brakes checked and while they did say that I had an issue with my front rotors and pads, I believe it is unrelated. The rear brakes were fine.

The last time I had it into my mechanic he said the rear driveline bushing is bad and that I would have to replace the whole drive shaft because lexus doesn't just sell the bushing... I tried asking if it was the rear axle carrier bushings and he said no. I also asked if it was the drive shaft carrier bushing and he said no.

Does anyone know if this bushing is related to my issue and what the heck he is talking about?
Old 06-29-14, 03:12 PM
joeyfett
Rookie

I'm having the same issue but with a creaky sound involved
Old 06-29-14, 07:32 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
hey guy new 95-er here Sc 300 khaki color on creme leather with the gold package to round it up, over and out!!
IS this car super sensitive in when comes to electrical? Like Alternators and stuff mainly? In 145 on my Honda never a problem and "khaki" is at a littler over 125 miles. ALl VINs etched on body are original VINS and thus panels so only a little scuff that would cost 125 bucks at the dealer and this beauty would be a mint body! Just a lovely design and the side profile reminds me of the Infinite "M" emblem I believe it is. Also, no room for a boom box due to tight trunk which I like actually, I don't have to worry about sound, the Nachima sound just bellows. trust me you don't want to add bump or big speakers that come in their own box cause that trunk is only gonna hold so much. Life in a lux coupe!
Wrong thread dude
Old 07-07-14, 06:15 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
This is def. Something I would check, good call on that. Btw, haha what I'm experiencing is exactly that your describing as well believe me, almost feels as if it's torquey, and in a sense I could def. Imagine weak brakes aiding to that. But if your tranny mounts weren't bad, then lol, why'd you even change them, 2gs's motor and tranny mounts are known to go, are you assuming they were good because you didn't swap them and they told you this? Well anyhow I'm going to be installing my whole big brake kit probably this weekend, (as long as my rotors come in) and while I've got the car up there I'm going to take a feel for the RUCA's as well, if the issue goes away after the brake system install, then great! We know, and I'll report back about how my arms feel as well, as I'm 100% sure they have to be shot... That's prob the issue good call ^ thanks
Any luck with the brake install? Did it fix the problem your experiencing and did you find any play in the suspension?
Old 07-07-14, 05:03 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Behemoth7
Any luck with the brake install? Did it fix the problem your experiencing and did you find any play in the suspension?
Nope. I'm starting to think that I may have over exagerated my sense of how my car was shifting, do me a favor, with it as quite as you can get, get a video clip of yours doing it could you? Post it up onto youtube and paste the link I want to hear it and see it first hand. Try with the phoneinside the car with you, then also set the phone out side of your car beside the driver door speaker facing the Trans, shift again, then record it one more time with the phone under your diff if you would, let's hear this....
Old 07-08-14, 05:29 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Suspension(you can actually see ride height go up and down as I shift):

Driveshaft/differential:

Transmission:

Based on this, I have to believe that it has something to do with the suspension... Do you agree?
Old 07-09-14, 05:48 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
Nope. I'm starting to think that I may have over exagerated my sense of how my car was shifting, do me a favor, with it as quite as you can get, get a video clip of yours doing it could you? Post it up onto youtube and paste the link I want to hear it and see it first hand. Try with the phoneinside the car with you, then also set the phone out side of your car beside the driver door speaker facing the Trans, shift again, then record it one more time with the phone under your diff if you would, let's hear this....
I posted the vids, forgot to quote you.
Old 07-09-14, 07:40 PM
nvsaccord
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same issue with the clunking when putting it into drive and reverse.
Old 07-10-14, 11:13 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Behemoth7
I posted the vids, forgot to quote you.
NICE BRO!!!! Awesome, let me take a look at these hang on.
Old 07-11-14, 12:20 AM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Man, honestly I don't see this having anything to do with suspension...first off you said you changed your Trans mounts right? AND motor mounts? IF SO. Then by the looks and the sounds man. I'm drifting towards it being possibly your U-Joints man considering it's noisy only when switching into the two gears that cause the apposing contacts to mate, when there usually is no slack in that engagement the contact will not exhibit such a clunking noise, but if they are bad, the clunk can easily be the make up of room once contact is made. I know at least in the 4x4 world that's dam common if you don't have good U joints, I'm not sure if it's a common issue with these cars, but you can try and check! The easiest way to do it would be have someone else shift it from drive to neutral then reverse a couple times while you watch the drivetrain underneath from the side. Make sure the parking brake is set, the wheels chocked, and that the person keeps the brakes depressed. Watch for the make up of play sometimes you can even feel it, but it's really best to get the rear of the car off the ground, to get all tension off the driveline, and check for play with a monkey bar at the least, but being able to remove them and check though is ideal. Could even be your axel bearings man. I'll tell you what, you just gave me another job to do. I'm switching these from a GS that I'm parting that's newer than the GS I have that does this, dam you..... I'll let you know what I may encounter. Going to be at least a week id say though k. Maybe this weekend. God dangit...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifting clunk into drive or reverse