Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Uh oh, I think it's a goner

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 05:13 PM
tkafam1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uh oh, I think it's a goner

I think it's over. I took her to the repair shop for a "shimmy" and a creaking noise. $3500 quote to fix it. Upper and lower control arms are bad, wheel bearing going out in the rear and rear struts are bad. I can't sell it for as much as it would cost to repair it. Any advice?
Old 06-12-14, 05:30 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Give me $1000 and I'll do all that.... just let me keep the change
Old 06-12-14, 06:59 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I got a nickle for every time a repair cost more than the value of my car I'd be a millionaire right now.
Old 06-12-14, 08:52 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

That's like $200-300 in parts if you shop around, isn't it? Maybe a bit more, I haven't priced all the pieces. $3500 sounds ridiculous, though. Did they give you a breakdown of the costs per line item?
Old 06-12-14, 10:12 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

that's a ridiculous amount, i was in an accident in my xb and way more damage was done, control arms were completely snapped, frame had a tiny bend, and the fender popped off. cost me 1000 to fix it, well my dad actually but i payed for it.
Old 06-13-14, 12:32 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

OP, are you capable of doing some of the repair installation yourself with the help of instructions and/or DIY guides? Do you have tools, a garage and a friend to help you do it safely? $3,500 for everything sounds like the technician is quoting you full price parts from a local Lexus dealer. Never buy parts from your local Lexus dealer unless you have to.

You should do the following even if using a shop for labor:

Buy Dorman upper front control arms (for an SC or MKIV Supra)

(Dorman P/N 520-443 Left Upper)
(Dorman P/N 520-444 Right Upper)

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-2213...origin=keyword
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-1179...origin=keyword

And buy 1993.5-1996 Toyota Supra MKIV Lower Control Arms from Carson Toyota's Internet Sales Dept (Jose) or Elmhurst Toyota (Curt Aigner)

Same for the rear wheel bearing if the MKIV Supra part will fit the SC rear suspension. To my knowledge only the SC300/400 rear control arms are different from the Supra rears.

Rear struts (and fronts) can be replaced with almost anything that fits. You can get some aftermarket "OEM replacement" struts for now to keep the cost down. I think Tokico makes a set. Tirerack should list a couple of "OEM style replacement" options.

Just be sure that you need all of those control arms replaced or just the lower front arms which are the most common to go out on these cars VS the upper arms.

There are DIY's on this site showing how to replace the control arms and struts.

If you need Lexus-specific parts, again use Carson Toyota (California), or Sewell Lexus (Dallas, TX) or Lexus of Pembroke Pines (near Miami FL). All of these and the places that will sell Dorman control arms will have to mail order you the parts but it will beat $3,500 for everything locally. Even if you can't install these things yourself it will cut down on the cost significantly.

Good luck, OP.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-13-14 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-15-14, 04:54 AM
tkafam1
Pole Position

thanks for the replies. I talked to a buddy and he knows a guy that does stuff on the side. I'm going to see him next week. I'll print out your replies and see what shakes out. you guys are awesome!
Old 06-15-14, 10:44 AM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wish you lived in CA i could use some money for easy labor
Old 06-17-14, 11:07 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

96 Supra LCA's from Elmhurst were $263 each last summer when I bought mine. I have those and the Dormans on my 97. If you can turn a wrench and can exert some brute force to break some bolts loose then it's not that hard of a job to do it yourself. Good luck though. If you replace all that and then do the motor and tranny mounts, your car will feel brand spankin new.
Old 06-18-14, 02:32 AM
maaaaackle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i picked up LCA's from a facebook group for $300 a pair...take a day or two and see if you can attempt the repair yourself.

3500 is definitely money you wanna keep..
Old 06-22-14, 06:59 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you that 3500 sucks. I called carsons and spoke to Jose and got supra LCA there. definetly worth going toyota original on those (lasts 20 years) $270 each is what i paid. you can get some OE replacement parts if you cant buy toyota/lexus original. definetly shop around for MKIV supra as they are much cheaper and usually fit SC's
Old 07-14-14, 04:27 PM
tkafam1
Pole Position

I got the bug for a new car and bought one. I'm probably going to donate my car for the tax write off. But I'd like to get in the hands of somebody who will fix it and keep it forever. I will use the Kelly Blue Book value of $4200 and get a $1300 tax write. If anybody wants to buy it for $1300 as is, let me know. I will give you a no bull crap rundown of everything that is wrong with it.
Old 07-14-14, 04:41 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

I would take it off your hands as a parts car or possible fixer upper if you were closer... Sorry to hear you gave up on it, but hopefully the new car brings you peace of mind.
Old 07-22-14, 08:31 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tkafam1
I got the bug for a new car and bought one. I'm probably going to donate my car for the tax write off. But I'd like to get in the hands of somebody who will fix it and keep it forever. I will use the Kelly Blue Book value of $4200 and get a $1300 tax write. If anybody wants to buy it for $1300 as is, let me know. I will give you a no bull crap rundown of everything that is wrong with it.
Holy... You got PM
Old 07-23-14, 01:13 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by tkafam1
I think it's over. I took her to the repair shop for a "shimmy" and a creaking noise. $3500 quote to fix it. Upper and lower control arms are bad, wheel bearing going out in the rear and rear struts are bad. I can't sell it for as much as it would cost to repair it. Any advice?
all SC's should have struts and lower control arms done at some point. upper control arms do not go bad usually, its most likely just the lowers and they figure to replace the uppers.
replace the lowers parts cost around $500, ignore the shocks till the are toast or just replace them with KYB units rears maybe $200, and fix the wheel bearing $? not really sure its mostly labor.

are you sure the shimmy is even the control arms, might just be rack bushings. I usually do lca's, rack bushings, shocks and springs on a used SC makes a world of difference.

Quick Reply: Uh oh, I think it's a goner