Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

what's your entire brake set up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-14, 10:54 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default what's your entire brake set up?

don't know if there's a thread like this, i haven't seen it in the first 2 pages so it's probably dead. what does everyone use to stop? i'm gonna be doing a few tweaks to my system and was just wondering.

currently i have TT calipers all around, will be getting drilled rotors since mine are warped and the rear ones are the wrong size (too small) also will be getting some Techna Fit SS lines. also what do you guys think of ebay rotors? i found some drilled ones all four for TT supra for 225 bucks. that's the cheapest i've found anywhere.
Old 06-03-14, 11:28 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS400 in front stock out back. Braking performance is spectacular. Not as good as my SRT of course but far superior to most modern cars.
Old 06-04-14, 04:01 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

what about SS lines? are they worth it? my lines seem to be ok for now, but i thought since i'll be replacing the rotors, might as well do the lines right? idk just a thought
Old 06-05-14, 06:31 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Skip the drilled or slotted rotors unless they are DBA or another multi-piece rotor. Reason being is they aren't up for the punishment (mostly for looks) and tend to crack from heat cycling on the street and even more-so on the track. Stick with high carbon content blank rotors and some good pads and you'll be more than set for 99% of people. Everyone wants to shed heat, but in reality you want a decent amount of heat in the rotors and pads to make them effective (best friend is a brake engineer for honda motorsports and did the new NSX's brakes) Braided lines aren't a bad idea since stock lines are around 20 years old now. Just make sure you buy high quality that are DOT or TUV approved and you'll be set.
Old 06-05-14, 07:38 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
Skip the drilled or slotted rotors unless they are DBA or another multi-piece rotor. Reason being is they aren't up for the punishment (mostly for looks) and tend to crack from heat cycling on the street and even more-so on the track. Stick with high carbon content blank rotors and some good pads and you'll be more than set for 99% of people. Everyone wants to shed heat, but in reality you want a decent amount of heat in the rotors and pads to make them effective (best friend is a brake engineer for honda motorsports and did the new NSX's brakes) Braided lines aren't a bad idea since stock lines are around 20 years old now. Just make sure you buy high quality that are DOT or TUV approved and you'll be set.
Speechless.
Couldn't say it any better.

Supra TT all around with Centric blanks here. Fairly aggressive EBC yellows all around. Yes they like a bit of heat before they start working.
Old 06-05-14, 01:44 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm all about giving correct information in the world where people base everything off of what some random non-professional says, instead I do the math and actually try it out first; I'm all about proper engineering with numbers to back it when it comes to cars.

I dig your setup and have the same, except for pads, as you on my current project SC. I don't think people know that Centric is the manufacturer for StopTech and their stock blanks are great track killers.

INTIMAZY have you replaced your stock hard-lines yet? If not, I suggest it...you wouldn't believe the obstructions/buildup I found in the lines on a correctly serviced 1 owner.
Old 06-05-14, 02:05 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

INTIMAZY have you replaced your stock hard-lines yet? If not, I suggest it...you wouldn't believe the obstructions/buildup I found in the lines on a correctly serviced 1 owner.
My driver side rear hardline rusted through and burst last summer. I replaced all the cars hard lines from the ABS back with copper alloy lines that won't rust
Old 06-06-14, 05:51 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Very nice! Did you build them yourself or source them out from a manufacturer? I just bought new from Lexus since I'm lazy haha.
Old 06-06-14, 08:25 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

LS400 up front and TT in the Rear. I've got new front TT calipers and rotors, just need to install. I'm pretty partial to my cross drilled/ slotted rotors.

Shane
Attached Thumbnails what's your entire brake set up?-pump3.jpg  
Old 06-06-14, 09:01 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Very nice! Did you build them yourself or source them out from a manufacturer? I just bought new from Lexus since I'm lazy haha.
Bent them myself. Its like 30 dollars worth of tools and honestly doesn't take all that much time. Flaring the ends is not fun. Especially if you're like me and flared a few ends without the nut already in place.
Old 06-06-14, 11:15 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

can you explain why drilled rotors are less beneficial than solids? i understand slotted rotors eat your brake pads so i'm staying away from those, but i thought drilled rotors were fine? i'm new to this so i'm just willing to learn.
Old 06-07-14, 06:00 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldManTan
can you explain why drilled rotors are less beneficial than solids? i understand slotted rotors eat your brake pads so i'm staying away from those, but i thought drilled rotors were fine? i'm new to this so i'm just willing to learn.
Slotted and drilled DO NOT really eat up anything. That's not the issue. The issue is when the iron expands the drilled and slotted rotors tend to crack. It's fine for street use but serious track use favors a solid blank.

The discussion changes if you talk about 2-piece rotors but 1-piece OEM style rotors that are drilled or slotted crack under heavy use. They're best reserved for street-posing.
Old 06-07-14, 01:28 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had slotted and drilled rotors on my IS for the longest time for street use and no real spirited driving. Never had any problems with them. However, when it came time to change my pads, the rotors had developed an outer lip so they needed resurfacing. I couldn't find a shop to resurface them. They said it was because the drilled and slotted surfaces would mess up their bit or whatever. But like INTIMAZY stated, they're great for street posing.
Old 06-07-14, 02:17 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

i dont plan on tracking the car, so street posing it is lol. drilled rotors look dope lol.
Old 06-08-14, 01:27 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Bent them myself. Its like 30 dollars worth of tools and honestly doesn't take all that much time. Flaring the ends is not fun. Especially if you're like me and flared a few ends without the nut already in place.
Haha I had to laugh at this, my friend is building a GTO ground up and did this exact same thing when flaring his hard lines

Quick Reply: what's your entire brake set up?