Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

what's your entire brake set up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 02:38 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
anyone got some input on SS lines i posted 2 posts up? i wanna buy them ASAP and don't know what to do. i mean how different can they be? anyone got some input?
I think they look correct in the picture but I have no experience with the brand, sorry. I highly recommend a set of Goodridge SS lines for the SC/Supra. I've used their product on my previous Honda Prelude and my SC300 and they have been excellent and trouble-free. In the picture you have shown there appears to be a nylon or rubber sheath over the stainless steel lines. I've never seen that before so that's a new one on me.

SS brake lines are not very different from one company's offering to the next. I'd just recommend going with a known brand because it's a part of one of the most critical parts of your automobile.
Old 07-12-14, 10:30 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I think they look correct in the picture but I have no experience with the brand, sorry. I highly recommend a set of Goodridge SS lines for the SC/Supra. I've used their product on my previous Honda Prelude and my SC300 and they have been excellent and trouble-free. In the picture you have shown there appears to be a nylon or rubber sheath over the stainless steel lines. I've never seen that before so that's a new one on me.

SS brake lines are not very different from one company's offering to the next. I'd just recommend going with a known brand because it's a part of one of the most critical parts of your automobile.
see that's why i picked those because goodridge doesn't have the nylon tubing over the SS. the nylon prevents any dust getting in between the SS and creating friction with the hose underneath, which can shorten longevity. i talked to my paint buddies and they all have track ready STIs and they run technic brake lines, but the ebay ones look the same and half the price lol. i'm just wondering if this is a case of simply cost of the brand.

anyone ever bought ebay SS lines?
oh and goodridge lines on ebay are 60 bucks
Old 07-13-14, 12:17 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

ordered the techna fit brake lines. they have good reviews so i went ahead with them.
Old 07-13-14, 11:12 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased eBay SS lines in the past and they failed on me. I had to drive the car quite a distance only using the gears and ebrake to stop. Scariest expeierience of my life.
Anyways, the part that failed was the connector on the ends. They were made out of aluminum (which is weak) and they failed only after about 6 months of regular street use (no track).
I will say though, that I can't say if it was installation error (as they worked fine for 6 months) or a poor product (as I'm not sure if ALL SS lines come with aluminum fittings). Either way, with something as critical to your wellbeing as a brake system, I highly suggest not cheapening out on parts - you're "upgrading" afterall, right?
Old 07-13-14, 01:24 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

yea i ordered the legit ones not ebay lines. i need to call them tmr though to verify my address because apparently my address doesn't exist in their records
Old 07-24-14, 11:18 PM
SC3paul
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, thanks to everyone for posting their brake setups.

I have a question..I searched quickly but didn't find the answer..maybe because the answer is obvious...

My question is when you swap out stock calipers for something like TT calipers or LS400s or even swap older SC300 calipers for SC400's do they just bolt right right up and nothing else needs to change, like spindles etc? I assume you at least have to use the correct rotor size for the calipers, but other than that just bolt on the bigger calipers? thanks...
Old 07-24-14, 11:51 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC3paul
Hey guys, thanks to everyone for posting their brake setups.

I have a question..I searched quickly but didn't find the answer..maybe because the answer is obvious...

My question is when you swap out stock calipers for something like TT calipers or LS400s or even swap older SC300 calipers for SC400's do they just bolt right right up and nothing else needs to change, like spindles etc? I assume you at least have to use the correct rotor size for the calipers, but other than that just bolt on the bigger calipers? thanks...
yep all toyota calipers just bolt right on, nothing needs to be changed at all except the right rotor size. if you want Z06 calipers then you'll need to make a bracket and i think someone on here posted that has that set up and he makes brackets for em.
Old 07-24-14, 11:53 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

got the lines, will try to install them tomorrow (friday) hopefully my girlfriend won't be too distracting and will help me out lol. also will paint the calipers and will order the DBA rotors soon, hopefully...
Attached Thumbnails what's your entire brake set up?-dsc_0201.jpg  
Old 07-25-14, 07:39 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I have LS400 front calipers, stock everything else. It's marginally better than stock

I'll be replacing with C6 calipers, all rubber with hard and SS lines.

My question is what type of booster and brake cylinder is an upgrade? Never looked into them.
Old 07-25-14, 01:44 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I'm doing the C6 upgrade as well (got the brackets sitting in my bedroom, just need to save up for everything else), but as far as I know the stock master-cylinder works fine. As long as it works correctly there should be no difference or 'upgrade' needed to be done here, its all the calipers work that is the upgrade.

Having said that, in the LRD's thread about the Vette breaks there is some talk about using a TT master-cylinder. Although I'm not sure if anyone actually did it or had any benefits from it..
Old 07-25-14, 11:59 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
^ I'm doing the C6 upgrade as well (got the brackets sitting in my bedroom, just need to save up for everything else), but as far as I know the stock master-cylinder works fine. As long as it works correctly there should be no difference or 'upgrade' needed to be done here, its all the calipers work that is the upgrade.

Having said that, in the LRD's thread about the Vette breaks there is some talk about using a TT master-cylinder. Although I'm not sure if anyone actually did it or had any benefits from it..
yep his thread is the place to go for C6 caliper talk
Old 08-04-14, 07:18 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

FRONT:
TT Supra calipers
ABT slotted zinc rotors
Ceramic pads
GT Autosport SS braided lines

REAR:
Supra NA / SC400 calipers
ABT slotted zinc rotors
Ceramic pads
GT Autosport SS braided lines
(clears my 16" FD drag wheels setup)
Old 08-19-14, 01:51 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

discs came in, gonna replace them this weekend so my brakes will finally be done

Front:
TT Calipers
TechnaFit SS Lines
DBA 4000 Series Brake Rotors

Rear:
TT Calipers
TechnaFit SS Lines
Stock TT Rotors

that's probably my final set up now. nothing else left to change.
Old 08-26-14, 12:24 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Heres my setup

Front: LS400 Calipers, R1 Concepts slotted rotors, Ceramic pads

Rear: SC300 Calipers, R1 Concepts slotted rotors, Ceramic pads

Old 09-19-14, 09:34 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TT front calipers, eom rotors and pads.
Stock sc rear rotors with TRD (Performance Friction) pads.

Oh, and you do need to nibble, and or bend the front backing plate/ shield just a bit when installing the larger calipers.