Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bc Racing or Megan Ez coilovers spring rates with Vossen CV7s?

Old 05-18-14, 07:00 PM
JoeSupra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bc Racing or Megan Ez coilovers spring rates with Vossen CV7s?

Sup guys, I was wondering if you guys could tell me what spring rates I should go with my awd IS250 on 20inch cv7s? Im thinking 10/8 to keep the ride as close to stock as possible. I don't plan on slamming my car. I do plan on closing the wheel gaps, possibly tuckin the tire a little in the front (that's debatable) and having the rear flush. Would 10/8 be good for unmodified fenders/quarters or should I do 12/10 because that's too low for 10/8 rates? Am I going to have to roll my fenders/quarters regardless? Also would there be much difference between a 10/8 bcr coilover vs 10/8 megan ez street coilover? I don't plan on trackin the car, just want to have my car lowered and handle daily driving like stock.

Sorry for all the questions I just want to do this right and once. If you guys can help me out id be forever grateful. Im new to this luxury stance scene so I really apologize for all this. I feel I did enough research but I would like an up to date voice from people. I read people have great experience with megans but people go with bcr because they are made more heavy duty. I also gathered that people switch from ez streets to bcr cause they wanna go lower. Other then that they both seem to ride well. I just want to hear more about this subject but along with my rim selection.
Old 05-19-14, 02:58 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For your application, I would say BC Racing 12/10 or 10/8 for more comfort. Lots of members have good review on the BC. Megan Ez only if you are on budget but in no way you would want to pick Megan EZ over BC Racing.
Old 05-19-14, 06:20 PM
JoeSupra
Rookie

Originally Posted by FSportIS
For your application, I would say BC Racing 12/10 or 10/8 for more comfort. Lots of members have good review on the BC. Megan Ez only if you are on budget but in no way you would want to pick Megan EZ over BC Racing.
Well I would go with Megan's if they ride the same as BC to save a buck cause all Im after is the lowering ability of the coilover. Higher price tags don't always mean the parts are better, I built a supra so Im sure of that. lol You think 10/8 would be to soft for my idea of a setup? Im scared 12/10 would be too stiff.
Old 05-20-14, 09:39 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I'm glad you have made the choice. 10/8 is little too soft if you want to go too low. 12/10 give you more flexibility to go lower without rubbing. Again, I think you have already have a preference so go with whatever you like.
Old 05-20-14, 02:57 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You can always purchase the EZ coil's and also get some 12kg springs to swap into them. Depending on the roads you live in the 12kg spring rates make a huge difference when it comes to big bumps on the road where the 10k spring rates usually bottom out. Ask me how i know this after having my Megan Ez coils bottom out on every bump in the Los angeles area. I ended up buying some stance 12kg spring rates springs for the front coilover and the 10k spring rates that come already with EZ's i used for the rear. The 8k spring rates in the rear are way too soft which usually leaves you with a bouncy ride. If you dont want to swap out the springs then just buy the BC coilovers.

I am currently using Megan Ez's with 12kg front and 10kg rear with half inch between tire and fender. dampener setting is three clicks from hard with no bouncy ride.
Old 05-20-14, 03:46 PM
JusticeK
Rookie

What is your tire and wheel specs?

If you are not going to drop your car very much, EZs are fine. They are really comfortable coils.

You said that you are thinking of tucking the tire, this immediately tells me 2 things:
-Even if you have a relatively conservative setup, you will need to do fender mods and move your fender tab.
-Unless you go with stretch tires, it will be very easy to start rubbing all over the place. Especially with softer coilovers. Your fronts will also bottom out occasionally.

I would go with the BCs and save yourself the trouble, I currently have the EZs and I am definitely thinking of going BCs in the near future.

Regards,
Jay
Old 05-20-14, 11:05 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ya, so I did a lot of research before deciding which coilover set to buy and I ended up getting BC Racing coilovers 14k/12k. Rides nice and definitely rougher than the factory 10k/8k set up. My plan required me to be low though so it all based on what you plan on doing. Tucking a rim with soft springs doesn't sound like a good idea though
Old 05-21-14, 04:16 AM
JoeSupra
Rookie

Thanks guys I appreciate everyones input. As far as my tire setup I have no idea what ill be doing. I never liked the idea of stretched tires but if thats what it takes to get the look I want I guess ill do it. Any idea what a safe stretched tire size for 9.5 and 10.5 wide rims would be? Tuckin tire isnt set it stone but id like to try it out cause these cars look dope that way. I think ill try out the 12/10 setup just to be on the safe side. Any more input with your experience will be appreciated.
Old 05-21-14, 08:00 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the BC 12/10 setup with swift springs and am very happy with it. The ride is not that bad, just slightly stiffer than OEM. I really like the swift springs as they are a linear spring as opposed to the stock progressive springs which can be more jarring when you hit a bump. I am running a finger gap all around with stock rims/tires and have never had any rubbing problems. Planning on running a 255/35/18 setup all around next go around and I am happy I got the stiffer springs which will allow for future modifications without having to swap out for stiffer springs.
Old 05-21-14, 10:33 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

See 12/10 on BC Racing has many good reviews from the community. This is exactly what I highly recommend it in the first place. I wasn't saying that you should pay more for the brand name or whatever which you misunderstood my intention in the beginning lol
Old 05-21-14, 02:44 PM
JoeSupra
Rookie

See 12/10 on BC Racing has many good reviews from the community. This is exactly what I highly recommend it in the first place. I wasn't saying that you should pay more for the brand name or whatever which you misunderstood my intention in the beginning lol
LOL so sorry for that. But what if the people who gave those reviews are biased because they were lookin for a setup that would work with a low set ride? Im sure someone like me whose more concerned about how it rides compared to stock its gunna give it a different review. Im just really picky about this **** cause iv been so happy with the car stock that I don't wanna be upset when I mess with it. Its probably the name of the game and im just gunna have to suck it up.
Old 05-21-14, 03:15 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I have to give credit to Lexus for the stock suspension. It is very comfortable with decent handling.

Off topic, any video or pictures of your supra build? What is its 1/4 mile time?
Old 05-21-14, 03:30 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't go with the EZ's. I had the Megan LP's and was tucking. I was actually the lowest IS on 20's static. It doesn't sound like you're after being the lowest but te 12/10K spring rates on BC will be good.

You will need to do a fender tab mod up front. I was running 225/30/20 on a 20x9 and 255/30/20 on a 20x10.5. I'd roll the rear quarters as well. The bigger problems are usually up front wih rubbing so I'd recommend those tire sizes up front. You won't be stretched too crazy. If you want to see pics of my ride you can click at the bottom of my signature. Good luck.
Old 05-21-14, 04:15 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BC Racing gets my vote, especially with the Swift Spring upgrade for AWD and the wheel setup you're going for. I noticed you are planning on running 20s, keep the overall diameter the same or really close to the stock diameter to avoid damage to the differentials, IIRC.
Old 05-21-14, 04:47 PM
JoeSupra
Rookie

Yeah, I have to give credit to Lexus for the stock suspension. It is very comfortable with decent handling.

Off topic, any video or pictures of your supra build? What is its 1/4 mile time?
Yes lexus did. Everyone who hops into my car is so surprised how well it rides..... I got plenty of pics and videos. lol No recent quarter mile times. My old setup with less hp ran 11.9 at 134 spinning first second and third gear.

My youtube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/user/JoeSupraR

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I wouldn't go with the EZ's. I had the Megan LP's and was tucking. I was actually the lowest IS on 20's static. It doesn't sound like you're after being the lowest but te 12/10K spring rates on BC will be good.

You will need to do a fender tab mod up front. I was running 225/30/20 on a 20x9 and 255/30/20 on a 20x10.5. I'd roll the rear quarters as well. The bigger problems are usually up front wih rubbing so I'd recommend those tire sizes up front. You won't be stretched too crazy. If you want to see pics of my ride you can click at the bottom of my signature. Good luck.
Thanks so much for your reply man. A post like that is exactly what I was looking for....experience and actual direct answers. Not saying everyone elses input was ****, im just saying you nailed it overall. Your right, im not looking to be the lowest. To be honest Id like my car to sit something like my supra above, or exactly like the white car below in the attachment. Idk the setup but id love to have my car sit like that. Idk if they are good enough pics to tell the ride height but Id be happy with that. Im going try to go 1/8 or 1/4 inch lower then the supra in the front on the lexus. If that don't work out ill raise it back up to just closing the wheel gaps but lil higher in the rear like I did on my supra. Im gunna search the fender tab mod. Hopefully I can find what that exactly is and what I have to do. Thanks a lot on your input. Ill will deff check out your ride.

Originally Posted by knguyenk
BC Racing gets my vote, especially with the Swift Spring upgrade for AWD and the wheel setup you're going for. I noticed you are planning on running 20s, keep the overall diameter the same or really close to the stock diameter to avoid damage to the differentials, IIRC.
Thanks for your input as well. I feel like running the swift springs will be too stiff for my likings from what I read, specially on the 12/10 setup. I planned on running the same diameter wheels and profile tires.
Attached Thumbnails Bc Racing or Megan Ez coilovers spring rates with Vossen CV7s?-276913d1363905766-official-vossen-owners-thread-dsc_0410.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bc Racing or Megan Ez coilovers spring rates with Vossen CV7s?