Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: To STB or not to STB your GS?
Waste of money and time
7.14%
TRD front STB?
61.90%
RMM front STB?
14.29%
Toms front STB?
9.52%
Cusco front STB?
4.76%
RMM rear STB?
2.38%
Cusco rear STB?
9.52%
Toms rear STB?
14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

To STB or not to STB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-03, 07:58 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts
Default To STB or not to STB?

Educated opinions to STB or not to STB your GS?

Which STB is better? TRD, Cusco, RMM or Toms? (which one is better for the front and which one is better for the back)
Old 02-15-03, 12:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i got the front coz' i strongly believe it helps, how much that's naother question. for the rear i don't get it coz' trunk space is precious to me
Old 02-15-03, 04:00 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rominl
for the rear i don't get it coz' trunk space is precious to me
i got a box back there. so no rear either.

but for the price, i'd definitely recommend a front STB. it really helps on turn-in
Old 02-16-03, 09:31 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

There have been very few responses to this poll, so I am updating it so that it can be bumped back to the top of a view new posts search results
Old 02-16-03, 11:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed
There have been very few responses to this poll, so I am updating it so that it can be bumped back to the top of a view new posts search results
A bit anxious? The poll is only ONE day old. Also, most people have no experience with multiple STBs.

I've seen the RMM and TRD ones and the TRD one looks MUCH more sturdy (that's what I have).
Old 02-16-03, 01:00 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To back up what Bit said, I'd guess that most people are going to vote on what they bought, based on several personal preferences, not necessarily performance related. Even for those who may have tried more than one STB, the responses will likely be more subjective than objective. Nothing wrong with that, but take it for what it's worth.

The STB performance is not going to vary significantly between the various STB's you've posted on the poll. They are all going to do the job. If you asked people to vote on whether an STB is a noticable and worthwhile mod (yes or no) I think you might get more responses.

One way to find a real measurable performance difference between these STBs would be to measure their stiffness/strength. This could be measured using a mechanical stress tester. Now if you want people to tell you which STB they "think" looks like it was designed stiffer/stronger, I'm sure there are opinions out there, but does it mean much? I think not.

Bottom line is, go out and get any STB you prefer based on other personal preferences: looks, clearance, price, brand preference, etc. I 'm sure that's what most of us did. You can't go wrong with any of the STB's you've listed.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-16-03 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-19-03, 08:55 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee, your asking for educated opinions so I'm not sure if I should post or not... For what most of us do with our cars items like upper and lower braces are more cosmetic and ego-massaging than performance adding. Stick with the name brands and get something you like to look at and you will be fine. I personally like the Tom's stuff [design and color] but they are rather understated and cosmetically industrial for some tastes.
Old 02-19-03, 09:28 AM
JL4785
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using the Cusco 40mm Front Strut Tower Bar.. I dont have one in the rear because of my audio set-up in the trunk. However, I have not had the pleasure of using any other STBs on my GS400. I put the STB on the same day I put on my Tein suspension so it was hard to tell any MAJOR difference with the bar and without...

heres a pic of my engine bay care of Streetracing.org
Attached Thumbnails To STB or not to STB?-24919mvc-544s.jpeg  
Old 02-19-03, 09:29 AM
JL4785
Pole Position

oops, on the poll, I accidently hit the rear STB rather than the front..
Old 02-19-03, 09:49 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto what RMMGS4 said.

I've had the UGOs F&R

Now am using F - TRD and R - TOMs, maily for aesthitics reasons.

Front - for sure
Rear - a little less necessary, but the effects are multiplied by adding other rear braces.
Old 03-16-03, 06:42 PM
dipstick
Pole Position

Pardon my ignorance, but how can a hinged STB do much for lateral rigidity, which is what I thought the STB was for? The TRD STB is rigid, is it not? Seems like that would be the only way it would impart any added stiffness to the chassis. Thinking about getting this mod if I am convinced it really makes an improvement in handling or turn-in.

Last edited by dipstick; 03-16-03 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-16-03, 07:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

TRD STB is a REALLY sturdy, rigid (welded) piece.
Old 04-20-03, 10:12 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Front STB is a DEFINITELY something worth doing. I just put my JIC-Magic Front STB on my SC400 (which has AMAZING handling even stock...makes a GS feel like a damn mini-van)....definitely maks a difference. I've been driving around my SC400 on JIC-Magic SF-1 coilovers for a few weeks now WITHOUT the STB and when I finally put the STB on, I noiticed the difference IMMEDIATELY. Much better in the turns (especially when I'm pushing it hard)...for around $120~$300, this is DEFINITELY a worth suspension mod...

Unless a useless engine cover is more valuable.... (for those who whine that they want to keep their engine cover on)
Old 04-22-03, 08:43 PM
Fa-suto
Pole Position

Do the front STBs rub against the engine cover? I think I have seen picks where you can have the STBs on with the engine cover on as well?

Fa-suto
Old 04-25-03, 07:15 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Finally did this mod - TRD Front STB and Cusco Rear STB but have noticed any difference in handling........

For those of you who have done this mod, how did you feel the difference?

Quick Reply: To STB or not to STB?