Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

The uneven drop problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 01:24 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I have stickied this thread as I think this problem affects everyone who has changed their springs/suspension and that is many many SC owners.
I have not done the mod or necessarily endorse it (whatever potential safety reasons) but this thread is good in that it highlights the problem of an uneven drop when lowering the car and an actual explanation and way to correct it besides "just going with coilovers".
even with coilovers you still need to know about the problem to adjust them so here it is.
Old 07-25-14, 06:56 PM
carsmypnis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess none of you are interested in performance. Cars in general never sit level. the reasoning behind this is to get better weight distribution. look up corner balancing. if you are getting coilovers and not corner balancing, your just wasting your money
Old 07-25-14, 07:16 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carsmypnis
i guess none of you are interested in performance. Cars in general never sit level. the reasoning behind this is to get better weight distribution. look up corner balancing. if you are getting coilovers and not corner balancing, your just wasting your money
corner weighting is what you do when you want every last bit of usefulness out of your suspension.

unless you have a racecar (or benchracing) that isn't anywhere near noticeable on the street.
Old 07-31-14, 01:24 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

If it was corner weighting then why would the lower the drivers front side?
Maybe if it was cornerweighted for RHD or something who really knows why they did that.
Old 07-31-14, 04:57 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Left turn, left turn, left turn! We put weight jacks in the race cars, wonder if it can be done to the SC's?
Old 08-08-14, 11:12 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow, this is a common issue? After dropping in Supra Eibachs/bilsteins I thought it was because my car was wrecked or had a bent frame or something?? Awesome...
Old 08-08-14, 01:23 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Happy to help dude! I'm gonna see about having some spacers cut out. if the cost isn't much I could get some made up for others.
Old 08-19-14, 03:08 PM
sucessr1
Rookie

did u get the spacers made Albatross?
Old 08-19-14, 03:38 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

imade a steel one. I need a rear strut mount to get measurements for an aluminum one since i don't feel like pulling it out of the car again right now. if somebody sent me one i'd sell em a spacer for my cost.
Old 08-19-14, 04:03 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

I've been stashing some money into my Lexus project fund for some espelir springs. Per usual though I'm overly cautious. I guess my question / concern. When I install these my car is going to look uneven? Will this effect my alignment as well? I guess I'm still uncertain what the "solution" is to the uneven drop is. Sorry for the confusion on my part
Old 08-19-14, 06:23 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Yes your car will be about 3/8" lower on the driver's side compared to the right.
I don't know why lexus did this, i just know how to fix it.
Old 08-19-14, 06:36 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Albatross
Yes your car will be about 3/8" lower on the driver's side compared to the right.
I don't know why lexus did this, i just know how to fix it.
Albatross.. thanks for the quick reply back. I appreciate that. I think this thread could greatly use some pictures of your modified set up when you get a chance
Old 08-19-14, 07:01 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

I will upload a 3D rendering of the spacer I'm going to have made, it just works like a wheel spacer but sits between the strut mount and the car. very simple.

The front is done exactly like Boergy suggested. I'm thinking of offering a kit that can accomplish this.

would you be interested in such a kit?
Old 08-23-14, 08:42 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Now that I have some pricing information its posted. if I can get a few people on board I'll have some spacers cut from billet aluminum.
Old 09-02-14, 03:30 PM
PR0PH37
Rookie

Originally Posted by Albatross
Hey guys I just traded my megan coils for a set of supra strut/enkie springs and have noticed the infamous "the driver's side is a tad lower than the passenger's side" issue.
The difference appears to be 3/8" on the driver's side. There is enough stud on the struts to fit spacers so I think this should work well.

I have an idea, fab a few 1/8" spacers and use them between the strut tower and strut plate. My plan is to get some 1/8" steel and washers of the right inner diameter and fab up some plates (6).
If this works well I might have some cut out of aluminum. This could be a great option for those of us not wanting to run coilovers due to ride quality (and not being able to drop 2K on some KW V3's of course).

Anybody ever done this before? Should function the same as a wheel spacer only require less structural rigidity since our suspension doesn't do anything except sit there at the shock tower.

UPDATE: I've got some pricing and I can provide the rear strut tower spacer for $27 + shipping IF five people want to get on board. The more people that want them the cheaper they will be.

I'm considering having the front bracket made out of billet as well but that'll probably be a lot more costly.

Would anybody be interested in the spacer or the while kit?
I'm interested in the whole kit. Billet aluminum, right?

Quick Reply: The uneven drop problem