Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help with rear shock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-14, 10:51 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with rear shock replacement

Here is what I have done
  1. Pulled trunk carpets and fender liner
  2. Loosened 3 shock top bolts in trunk
  3. Pulled bolt holding lower control arm to knuckle
  4. pulled the bolt holding the sway bar end to the LCA
  5. pulled the bolt holding the shock to the LCA
  6. pushed the LCA down and removed old shock/spring assembly
  7. switched out the parts from the old shock to the new KYB shock
  8. made sure everything still lined up as it did on the old shock
  9. Put shock/spring assembly into car. Top bolts in first, a little prying on the LCA and the bottom bushing is in alignment
  10. Put in the bolt holding the shock bottom to the LCA
  11. Put in the bolt holding the sway bar end to the LCA

All that is well and good. Problem is I can not get the end of the LCA to line up with the bottom of the knuckle with the bushing in it.

What I notice is that when I jack up the LCA to try and aligning with the bottom knuckle bushing, it moves towards the front of the car about 1/4" to 1/2" inch each time I raise the jack. So, when I get the LCA near the level of the bushing holes, the side of the LCA on the rear of the car is about 1/2" to 3/4" toward the front of the car and I can not get the LCA around the bottom of the knuckle. As a matter fact, I ended up splitting the rubber boot on the bushing because I jacked the LCA up too far and the edge was on the rubber. So I get to replace that as well (if possible) YAY!

Can any who has changed their shocks or springs shed any light on how the get the LCA in line with the knuckle bottom with the shocks attached? If the shock is not in the card, then the LCA and rear bottom bushing on the knuckle line up just fine.

Can the bushing be replaced? I have read both - no you have buy the whole $300 knuckle and yes, but only shown on a GS.

Here is a little picture of what I am talking about. And any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-15-14, 12:02 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I never had such an issue myself when installing BCRs on my 2IS; but perhaps removing some of the suspension arms (traction/camber/etc) can help you freely move the hub around to get it to where you need it?
Old 05-15-14, 12:14 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

I'm having a hard time picturing this. But...when you let everything free hang without the jack, will the LCA somewhat line up with the steering knuckle? If so, what I did was jack up the steering knuckle rather than the LCA. So basically you will have the LCA slightly sandwiched between the jacka and the steering knuckle. Then jack it up until it aligns.

If not, have you tried to forcefully move it? I mean don't break anything but does it budge?

I had a somewhat similar issue where the knuckle got misaligned. Idk how my friend did this. But I had to get a thick screwdriver and flex the LCA so it popped back.
Old 05-15-14, 08:54 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Ended up spending the best $15 on the car and got the 2 day tech login. Found the order of reattaching is important. For some reason I had taken the entire LCA off. So with the tech site, I found the order that did the trick.

*Reattached the LCA end away from the knuckle loosely
*Reattached the lower shock to the LCA again loosely
*Placed a scrap 2x4 on my jack and brought the LCA up to reattach the sway bar
*Finally continued to raise the LCA until it was close and then a quick rap with a rubber mallet an we are in
*Puts tires on
*Bounced on the back end to seat the parts
*Took tires off and torqued everything to spec
*Put tires back on
Old 05-16-14, 11:59 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

You didn't say anything about having removed the LCA completely off the car before. LOL!
Old 05-16-14, 06:40 PM
JETLEX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you got it figured out, OP. I've taken my suspension apart a few times now trying different setups, and what I usually do is try to pull the jack slightly while I'm raising it up.
Old 05-16-14, 09:11 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gville350
You didn't say anything about having removed the LCA completely off the car before. LOL!
Yeah, it was late and I was getting desperate. You know like the 3:00am alone at the bar desperate.
Originally Posted by JETLEX
Glad you got it figured out, OP. I've taken my suspension apart a few times now trying different setups, and what I usually do is try to pull the jack slightly while I'm raising it up.
The first one was the bear. After lots of cussing and a TIS manual later it would now probably take me longer to take out the carpet in the trunk thank switching out the shocks.

If anyone needs any tips on the whole change of shocks and/or springs feel free to pm me. I learned a LOT about our suspension and would be happy to share.

Oh and thanks to the forum for the AFS light fix. I had it come on and the first google search showed me the light... Or rather how to extinguish the light.

Last edited by IS350_PHIL; 05-16-14 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Thanks