Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear brake hose line

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-14, 12:07 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake hose line

Okay guys, so I have a quick question. My rear driver's side brake line has been leaking for many months now and I have to fill up my brake fluid reservoir every week or so to keep it at the proper level. It seems like a slow leak though and braking seems a little less powerful at times. I also noticed that it makes a humming/vibrating noise after braking hard at highway speeds, maybe I need to bleed the system too? I have all new rotors and pads though. Anyway, the short little black hose that runs from the caliper to the solid metal brake line is leaking, how hard is this piece of brake line to replace with a new one and is it expensive? I have searched and have found no how-to's relating to this particular maintenance. Anyone have any recommendations? I want to get this line fixed and hopefully bleed the system asap so I can get my summer wheels back on the car and not have brake fluid eat the paint off of them. I have noticed the inside of my stock wheel where the line is leaking is always wet when I look at it too. Any other sides of the car I haven't seen this problem. Should I just replace the one line or all 4 on each side of the car and bleed everything while I am it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ALLWiTE2JZ; 05-12-14 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-12-14, 12:41 AM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Since you said you have new pads and rotors. You might have messed up that line when doing it. Since your replacing that line you might as well upgrade all the lines to stainless, then bleed the whole system.

And just a FYI, it's highly dangerous to drive your car with a leaking brake line, at anytime that line could finally give and worst case explode.
Old 05-12-14, 01:36 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Wait, explode? As in what type of explosion? I figured it would just keep leaking when pushing the brakes. I am pretty sure I just put too much tension on the line and stretched it out when working on changing out the brakes many months ago and that is how it's leaking. Its not like a completely open-ended cut line shooting fluid out. It seems to just seep out over time. So is it difficult to replace all 4 brake lines and is it expensive? Should I get the parts from ebay?
Old 05-12-14, 07:42 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think they'll explode as the leak is already relieving pressure from the line. I've never heard of these exploding in any circumstance anyways.
Other than that, I also suggest upgrading to stainless steel lines while you're at it. You might as well. 4 new SS lines will cost you about $100.

But, DO NOT buy eBay SS lines. I purchased a set a while ago, installed them myself, and the lines broke. I had no brakes! I had to drive my car across town with no brakes, using the gears and eBrake to control stopping. NOT fun and scary as hell. My mechanic told me the ends of the SS lines (where you screw it into the caliper and the other end into the brake line) was made out of aluminum and very weak, and eventually gave out a few months after I installed them.
Now I'll admit that the failure could have been an install error on my part, but could also have been due to the cheap quality of the lines. Guess it's too hard to tell now.
Buy some quality SS lines from Brembo, StopTech, Endless, or another reputable brake company, then get a mechanic to install the lines to ensure its done properly. This is not something you want to mess up no matter how easy it is to do in your backyard.

EDIT: I just searched "ss brake lines sc400" in eBay and a number of results came up. Seems like you can buy StopTech lines for about $150 (you have to buy front and rears separately).

Last edited by scENFORCER; 05-12-14 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-12-14, 07:45 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will never explode. I have no idea where that comes from. I've had my driver side rear hardline rust through and burst. It stranded me without any functioning brakes. However, no fiery death for me. Easy to redo the lines on these cars from scratch as well but the rubber ends are super simple. Just make sure you bleed them properly when you're done.

Its easy to replace. Ebay is fine. Fitment isn't bad on an older chassis like this one.