Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

advice for lowering

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-14, 10:28 PM
lee786
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation advice for lowering

hey guys, I have been searching everywhere for an answer or advice for lowering my 2007 Lexus is250 awd. my question is what options do I have for lowering, as I was told that the only way to lower an awd is to go on bags. is this true? can I get coils? and what's the difference which one is better and which one is better on price? which way is better for the car? I don't want to affect the driving or the car in general. thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails advice for lowering-imag0033.jpg  

Last edited by lee786; 04-30-14 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-30-14, 10:38 PM
rushi450
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lee786
hey guys, I have been searching everywhere for an answer or advice for lowering my 2007 lexus is250 awd. my question is what options do I have for lowering, as I was told that the only way to lower an awd is to go on bags. is this true? can I get coils? and whats the difference which one is better and which one is better on price? which way is better for the car? I don't want to affect the driving or the car in general. thanks in advance.
who ever told you that you can lower only on bags was not the brightest, you can lower on springs and coils.
Springs: they're nice and they will run you anywhere from 150-350 but you can't not adjust ride height.
Coils: you should def go with coils, they will be a lot more expensive around 650 to around 1500 (rough estimate). you can adjust ride height and the stiffness of you're ride. Def go with coils
Air: mad money but they do everything coils do but it feels like you are driving on a cloud.
i hope this helps you out a bit.
Old 04-30-14, 10:46 PM
lee786
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rushi450
who ever told you that you can lower only on bags was not the brightest, you can lower on springs and coils.
Springs: they're nice and they will run you anywhere from 150-350 but you can't not adjust ride height.
Coils: you should def go with coils, they will be a lot more expensive around 650 to around 1500 (rough estimate). you can adjust ride height and the stiffness of you're ride. Def go with coils
Air: mad money but they do everything coils do but it feels like you are driving on a cloud.

thanks a lot bro. it helped to know that I can go on coils, money isn't the issue, its just that I don't want to ruin the cars awd system or differentials or anything of that sort.
Old 05-01-14, 12:36 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Well, since you brought up not wanting to ruin the car thing, I thought I'd mention that quite a few members that lower their 2IS do run into half shaft issues with entire the boots ripping or the CV joints going out.
Old 05-01-14, 07:16 PM
lee786
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Well, since you brought up not wanting to ruin the car thing, I thought I'd mention that quite a few members that lower their 2IS do run into half shaft issues with entire the boots ripping or the CV joints going out.
I guess my only option is to go on bags then.
Old 05-02-14, 11:05 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lee786
I guess my only option is to go on bags then.
The CV boots and joints can go bad the moment you lower the AWD IS, whether it be springs, coils, or bags. How quick they wear out depends on how low you go.

For me and my IS 250 AWD, whenever I get around to it I'll probably get the F-Sport springs and shocks or BC Racing coilovers with Swift springs and set it to lower about 1". That should be low enough for me for daily driving and improving the handing with the lower center of gravity, while low enough to maximize my CV boots' life without affecting the CV axles much.
Old 05-05-14, 08:43 AM
lyjohnny
Driver School Candidate

if you have money, go with air it will save you a lot of money in the long run
Old 05-05-14, 04:25 PM
lee786
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by knguyenk
The CV boots and joints can go bad the moment you lower the AWD IS, whether it be springs, coils, or bags. How quick they wear out depends on how low you go.

For me and my IS 250 AWD, whenever I get around to it I'll probably get the F-Sport springs and shocks or BC Racing coilovers with Swift springs and set it to lower about 1". That should be low enough for me for daily driving and improving the handing with the lower center of gravity, while low enough to maximize my CV boots' life without affecting the CV axles much.

I might go that way as well, or bags
Old 05-05-14, 04:27 PM
lee786
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lyjohnny
if you have money, go with air it will save you a lot of money in the long run
money isn't the issue, Im more concerned about the vehicle than anything else. I know coils will be cheaper, but I just don't want to screw up the car, so i'll probably go with whatever works with car
Old 05-05-14, 05:26 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I second this as well. If you look for extreme lower, go bag but they are not ideal for improved handling. Basically, you are paying a lot for just little handling improvement. The ones who run them are into VIP style. Springs or coil actually improve handling and track proven.

If you look for pure comfort, stock is best.

Old 05-05-14, 07:05 PM
JBLover
Pit Crew

I am getting confused about lowering the awd. I was thinking about going with the bc's and then was leaning towards h&r's with f sport shocks so it would not be too low. Was maybe even debating on road magnets. Now people are making it sound like you are guaranteed to ruin the cv's if you lower much at all.
Old 05-05-14, 08:12 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to realize that if you go too low with AWD you'll end up with shaking/vibration at low speeds. There's a few threads about it on the forum and a possible fix as well. Your safest bet is to go f-sport springs/shocks if you don't want to deal with any headaches down the road. As others have said, it depends on how low you want to go.
Old 05-05-14, 08:34 PM
JBLover
Pit Crew

I just read the thread about the fsport springs. I just don't want to go that route and not be very happy. I have also read about the possible safe lowering limit, but this thread seems to contradict it. I haven't found the possible fix. I would be happy with mod it and leave it so coilovers are not a must for me. I had Megan's on my LS and I never adjusted them. Maybe my confusion comes from people's view on lowering and the theme seems to be most are looking for stance and I just want a decent daily drivable drop, but the fsports don't seem like they will be low enough.
Old 05-12-14, 07:20 AM
rushi450
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JBLover
I just read the thread about the fsport springs. I just don't want to go that route and not be very happy. I have also read about the possible safe lowering limit, but this thread seems to contradict it. I haven't found the possible fix. I would be happy with mod it and leave it so coilovers are not a must for me. I had Megan's on my LS and I never adjusted them. Maybe my confusion comes from people's view on lowering and the theme seems to be most are looking for stance and I just want a decent daily drivable drop, but the fsports don't seem like they will be low enough.
You will be fine with lowering the car an inch to an inch an a half. Yes when you take off stock parts and replace them with aftermarket there are draw backs. You give a little and take a little. Other wise you will be good at an inch, it will get rid of wheel gap and make the car a daily driver.
Old 05-12-14, 07:38 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be fine with lowering the car an inch to an inch an a half. Yes when you take off stock parts and replace them with aftermarket there are draw backs. You give a little and take a little. Other wise you will be good at an inch, it will get rid of wheel gap and make the car a daily driver.
^^ +1 this.

The moment the car is modded, you trade comfort for performance/stance (depending on the person). Doesn't mean you can't find the perfect compromise, it just takes a bit or a lot of work.

Quick Reply: advice for lowering