Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003

Old 02-13-03, 06:53 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 193 Likes on 107 Posts
Default My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003

I had all the modifications I have done to my car since November 2002 when I picked up 1999 GS400 merged into one thread.

Here are the table of contents so that you can easily skip to the pages where a description of each major mod is detailed.

1999 Lexus GS400 - Alpine Silver with black leather.
Date of purchase: November 20th 2002

Table of Contents
________________________________________________________________________________
  1. Feb 13th, 2003 - L-tuned springs, L-tuned shocks, L-tuned Steering ECU, TRD Sways, TRD Front Lower Chassis Brace, Toms Rear Lower Chassis Brace, L-tuned stainless steel sports muffler - This Page
  2. March 27th, 2003 - L-tuned side skirts, L-tuned grille, Cusco Rear strut tower, TTE front Lip spoiler - Page 4
  3. June 6th, 2003 - Upgraded fogs to 6000K HID - Page 8
  4. June 26th, 2003 - Clear corners - Page 9
  5. July 22nd, 2003 - Wood ashtray - Page 11
  6. Sept. 13th 2003 - Car featured in local paper - Toronto Star - Page 12
  7. Jan 11th 2004 - 18" HRE 447R wheels - Page 13
  8. April 9th, 2005 - TEIN Flex suspension - Page 21
  9. April 14th 2004 - 14 inch STOPTECH big brake kit front - Page 24
  10. July 27th, 2004 - Supra TT 3.76 rear diff/LSD - Page 31
  11. Sept. 1st, 2004 - EDFC - Page 33
  12. Sept. 7th, 2004 - Precision Industries 2800 rpm high stall speed TC - Page 35
  13. May 18th, 2005 - Custom mirror covers with MB E-class LED blinkers - Page 39
  14. April 17th, 2006 - Custom Exhaust and K&N FIPK intake with pics and video! Page 46
  15. June 8th, 2006 - CarsonTuned front STB - Page 50
  16. May 21st, 2007 - Seibon Carbon Fibre Hood - Page 51
  17. July 21st, 2007 - TRD Sports Grille with CF pattern - Page 56
  18. April 2014 - Individ Logic 20 inch wheels - Page 57
  19. August 2015 - Tablet install in dash Nexus 7 (2013 edition) - Page 58
  20. October 26 2015 - My car just got totalled by a dumb *** reckless 18 year old kid speeding in front of my house..... - Page 58
  21. Jan 15 2016 - Decided to repair the car as there was no frame damage to the cabin structure - here are the first set of pics of the repair..... - Page 59
  22. May 20th, 2016 - Car is finally back from the dead !!!!. - Page 65
  23. May 28th, 2016 - Quad Bi-Xenon HID projector retrofit and DRL mod - Coming soon

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Just had my handling mods installed:
1. L-tuned springs
2. L-tuned shocks
3. L-tuned Steering ECU
4. TRD Sways
5. TRD Front Lower Chassis Brace
6. Toms Rear Lower Chassis Brace
7. L-tuned stainless steel sports muffler

WOW!!!

I don't recognise the way car handles now!!! Simply amazing!!

The car corners as if it is on rails and there is absolutely no body roll whatsoever!!!! I take highway exit-ramps and on-ramps (some that are not short and have nice curves in them) at 95 mph and the car feels rock solid.

I can't believe the difference these mods have made. As far as ride degradation goes - it is almost negligible.

Now I have to install some sound insulation to get rid of the muffler drone at 2000 rpm.

I will post pics of the car this weekend. Even the drop with the L-tuned stuff is just fine. At the back there is barely half an inch gap between the tires and the fender. In the front it is at least an inch or slightly more.

Just dropped off the car at the local Lexus dealer to get the alignment done and they gave me a 2003 Camry (4 banger) loaner. I already miss my sports car!

Thanks again to all the seasoned veterans here (DaveGS4, rominil, bitkahuna, etc. etc) for guiding me in the right direction. This forum is just amazing for the good stuff I have learned here. Intend to stay here for a long time to come.

Any suggestions on what to do next, guys?

Cosmetic stuff no doubt..........

Last edited by Hameed; 05-24-16 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-13-03, 07:00 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

great to hear you are happy with the set up

one question, since install of ltuned shocks/springs any funny noises or clunking sounds going over bumps and dips , did your shop use the oem bump stops and since install any vibration sounds,

you say car rides almost like stock , can u expand on that
Old 02-13-03, 07:19 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by lexforlife
great to hear you are happy with the set up

one question, since install of ltuned shocks/springs any funny noises or clunking sounds going over bumps and dips , did your shop use the oem bump stops and since install any vibration sounds,

you say car rides almost like stock , can u expand on that
Hi lexforlife

To answer your questions - no clunking sounds going over bumps and dips. The car is just perfect! The shop I used was extra careful with my car (the owner is my brother-in-law and he did the work himself on my car). He used the OEM bump stops with the L-tuned stuff.

When I say my car rides almost like stock, I specifically mean that the car does not ride rough. It is still luxurious - you just feel the bumps a bit more - but that can intepreted in as many ways as there are people who want to talk about it. Personally, I don't want any queasy ness or floating sensations in the car. I want to know exactly what my car is doing - so as far as I am concerned the ride quality is just perfect. It is not harsh or hard, but you feel the road. The up and down motions of the car are very controlled. Around corners, no body roll whatsoever .

As you can imagine I am going around corners much more faster than I normally would simply to feel how the car handles. Once I get used to the new setup, I am sure my driving will calm down somewhat.
Old 02-13-03, 07:34 AM
kvoman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Hameed - We'd like to have you here longer to discuss your experience and share your stories so take it easy on those ramps...95MPH is a little too adventurous!!!
Old 02-13-03, 07:41 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by kvoman
Yeah Hameed - We'd like to have you here longer to discuss your experience and share your stories so take it easy on those ramps...95MPH is a little too adventurous!!!
Yes 95 mph is a little too adventurous!! Just trying to get used to the car ..... . I don't want to lose my drivers license either.
Old 02-13-03, 07:42 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the exact setup I have on my car now (aside from L-Tuned badging that I also have). I did things incrementally (shocks/springs/steering in one shot, sways/LCB in another, exhaust in a third) and the changes were pretty dramatic each time. I can't imagine the difference you're seeing going from stock to the whole kit-and-kaboodle!

Yes, you'll love it. It's a great balance between sport and luxury and exactly what I expect most people on this forum want out of their GS.

I was skeptical of the sways/LCB and the exhaust after installation because the overall feel was so different (stiff on the former; loud on the latter), but after a few weeks I appreciated the pros of the differences so much more than any small cons.

You might also ask your dealer to tighten the steering pretensioner if they haven't already. With the stiff suspension, the slack that's typically allowed will cause vibrations at highway speeds. That adjustment will completely eliminate the vibration AND has the added benefit of increasing steeering weight and feedback!

Have fun!
Scott

Last edited by SCWells72; 02-13-03 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-13-03, 07:53 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by SCWells72
You might also ask your dealer to tighten the steering pretensioner if they haven't already. With the stiff suspension, the slack that's typically allowed will cause vibrations at highway speeds. That adjustment will completely eliminate the vibration AND has the added benefit of increasing steeering weight and feedback!

Have fun!
Scott
Hi Scott, thanks for the advice regarding the steering pretensioner. The timing is just perfect! My car is still at the dealer for the alignment, so after reading your post I just called them to have them take care of that too!

That's why I love this forum!!!! Posts such as yours can be very timely and useful!
Old 02-13-03, 08:08 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Handling mods installed!!!! :D

Everything sounds sweet for sure!

Can you tell me about #6.? I guess I had forgotten about the TRD Rear LCB. Any pics? # of mounting points? I don't see any info on SGs site.

Originally posted by SCWells72

You might also ask your dealer to tighten the steering pretensioner if they haven't already.
Ditto. I see you are already doing that.

Congrats again.
Old 02-13-03, 08:11 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Default Re: Re: Handling mods installed!!!! :D

Originally posted by Dex
Everything sounds sweet for sure!

Can you tell me about #6.? I guess I had forgotten about the TRD Rear LCB. Any pics? # of mounting points? I don't see any info on SGs site.

Ditto. I see you are already doing that.

Congrats again.
Hi Dex, thanks!

Sorry that was a typo on my part - I did not install a TRD Rear LCB , it was a Toms' LCB. I will correct my typo now.
Old 02-13-03, 08:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

congrats man, sounds like you will love your car EVEN MORE don't drive it too much and forgot work
Old 02-13-03, 08:54 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by rominl
congrats man, sounds like you will love your car EVEN MORE don't drive it too much and forgot work
Already did. will probably lose my license too - speeding in this car is so deceptive now. It will become even more so as soon as I put in some good quality sound insulation. My brother-in-law (who put on all the mods in this car) specializes in fixing MB's and very often they have to scrap a late model car that is not repairable (accident or otherwise) and apparently they have very high quality insulation in them. So he will take it out from some cars and put it mine. Again, this will not cost me anything.!!!

The installation of the handling mods did not cost me anything either! (He is family and did refused to take money from me. Will probably buy him some nice gift though).
Old 02-13-03, 09:35 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed
It will become even more so as soon as I put in some good quality sound insulation.
Oh yeah - the sound deadening (sp.?) material.

During my stereo install HERE, all doors and rear deck were done. This makes a big difference. I didn't realize it until I sat in a GS with Borlas + SRT intake that didn't have it.
Old 02-13-03, 11:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Congrats Hameed, glad to hear you like it (not that I had any doubts )! I think you should take a couple of weeks just to enjoy the recent changes should the weather allow it up north.

Then decide if you want to focus on:

Cosmetic (grill, spoilers, kits, wheels)
More handling mods (six link kit, additional braces, wheels, etc)
Sound (you'd be amazed what just changing speakers out does)
Speed/Power (Torque converter, intake, etc)

It never quite ends
Old 02-13-03, 01:00 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Hameed
thanks for the advice regarding the steering pretensioner. )
my dealer quoted me about $100 for that. see if yours can beat it, and let me know if they smack it around
Old 02-13-03, 01:09 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Congrats Hameed, glad to hear you like it (not that I had any doubts )! I think you should take a couple of weeks just to enjoy the recent changes should the weather allow it up north.

Then decide if you want to focus on:

Cosmetic (grill, spoilers, kits, wheels)
More handling mods (six link kit, additional braces, wheels, etc)
Sound (you'd be amazed what just changing speakers out does)
Speed/Power (Torque converter, intake, etc)

It never quite ends
Hi Dave,

Thanks!! You're absolutely right! The modding never ends.....

I have always wanted to ask you a question about your cool rims. I am considering the Work Equip Superchromes versus yours. In your opinion, which one is a better quality wheel - yours or the Work Equips? (19 inch is the one I am considering). Which one is heavier? I am baised towards the a lighter rim (so that handling is not adversely affected).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003