Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Old style vs new style front LCAs

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-14, 06:10 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old style vs new style front LCAs

Long story short, I need to replace my driver side front LCA because the ball joint is no longer good.

I've gone to a few junk yards with friends and it seems like most of the SCs have the early style LCAs with the bushings that don't have metal shells or the metal sleeves. It doesn't seem like it's really separated by 300 vs 400 nor is it by year since I found a 93 400 with the new style LCA but the driver side was already taken.

My question is did Lexus just randomly mix these arms? Some models get the early style, some models get the new style? I'm curious who has the earlier models 92-94 with the new style arms.
Old 04-30-14, 07:12 PM
GreenUZZ31
Driver School Candidate

They are not that expensive new, think I ordered supra ones for <$200ea
Old 05-02-14, 08:58 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jennie
My question is did Lexus just randomly mix these arms? Some models get the early style, some models get the new style? I'm curious who has the earlier models 92-94 with the new style arms.

92-96 has the same arms. lexus changed the bushing style at 97+.
Old 05-04-14, 12:41 PM
jennie
Pole Position

No they don't...

Early arms have an opening with a larger OD
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=192
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=149

Newer arms have a smaller OD
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=193
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=194

Anyway, I found a driver side LCA and it was off a 93 SC300. All the 92s at the junkyard had the older style LCAs.
Old 05-06-14, 01:14 PM
k7q
Instructor

Yes they are. Figs has different size bushings because some people rebuild them by pressing out the entire bushings with the outer shell and some people rebuild them by leaving the outer shell on the lca.
Old 05-06-14, 04:52 PM
k7q
Instructor

All lca have the same OD. All lca have the outer shell. Figs has 2 different sizes. One with the shell, one without. Only reason lcas don't have the shell is that they have been removed by the previous owner.
Old 05-27-14, 06:50 AM
99scMMGT
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to mention this, you can buy supra lower control arms. I just replaced mine, with 1995 Supra lca for my 99 SC300, and they fit perfectly, plus they are stiffer bushings than stock SC300. You can buy them at Toyota of Richardson ask for Marvin, or Call Fred at Pat Lobb Toyota of McKinney, both great guys.
Old 05-28-14, 11:51 AM
jennie
Pole Position

Everyone knows that Supra LCAs are an option but it doesn't work in my case. I already have the bushings and the other LCA balljoint is still perfect.

Like I mentioned above, I found a replacement LCA that had the inner shell. I don't know if k7q is correct that they all have the same OD but I know for a fact that the earlier style LCAs don't have an inner shell. The bushing style is completely different and I noticed that it doesn't have the metal sleeves either. Pretty strange but that's what I found in my adventures.
Old 05-28-14, 08:45 PM
k7q
Instructor

I would like to know how do you know that as a fact? my 92 sc400 has them. I rebuilt a couple of arms for friends also and they all have the OD sleeves.
Old 05-28-14, 09:22 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by k7q
I would like to know how do you know that as a fact? my 92 sc400 has them. I rebuilt a couple of arms for friends also and they all have the OD sleeves.
I went to the junkyard with a friend. Removed the LCA and burned out the bushings. No shell.
Old 05-29-14, 10:37 AM
99scMMGT
Driver School Candidate

I dont understand why the Supra LCA isnt an option for you. If you know they work, and I have confirmed them as other people have, why not just buy a brand new Supra LCA? Also, its not a bad idea to replace both, even if the other is good, If its original, its only a matter of time before you have to go in and replace it as well. They are less than $250 each brand new, Supra bushing are better than stock SC, and another plus is that you dont have to fool around with burning out bushings, or going to a junk yard pulling stuff off of old cars that might have a bad ball joint. If your end result is to have a functioning LCA on your car, I don't see why this wouldn't be the best option for you.
Old 05-29-14, 12:13 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Polyurethane bushings for the front LCA and UCA = $60. LCA from the junkyard = $25. Total = $85 vs $500. Do the math.
Old 05-29-14, 12:27 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

Since you have all the answers already - what the original question ??
in 97 the LCAs changed for both the supra and for the sc300/sc400/soarer - however are all interchangeable - and usable on the vehicles.
I assume you are going to replace the bushings somehow, yourself?
have the tools aleady? etc..

Regarding the LCAs Both arms are identical in fit and shape. HOWEVER, the bushing for the SUPRA are not sold seperately. For the SC400/300, they are sold seperately. That can be translated into.. the supra oem control arm bushings cannot be replaced.. a whole new arm is needed which is best anyways considering the labour time needed to put in bushings and take the old ones out. so I guess I understand why you want a Lexus arm.. so you can use your bushings you got.. but for the amount of additional labour replacing the bushings.. only to find out the other balljoint will go soon... you may as well sell the bushings and get a Supra control arm.. and another one for the other side either now.. or later ...
ofcourse if your doing the work yourself, have the tools to press in new bushings.. then great!.. but id trade all that time doing so for just the peace of mind of having OEM quality.

one thing you shouldn't cheap out on is your pride and joy... (your car)
Old 05-29-14, 12:54 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by soarer93
Since you have all the answers already - what the original question ??
in 97 the LCAs changed for both the supra and for the sc300/sc400/soarer - however are all interchangeable - and usable on the vehicles.
I assume you are going to replace the bushings somehow, yourself?
have the tools aleady? etc..

Regarding the LCAs Both arms are identical in fit and shape. HOWEVER, the bushing for the SUPRA are not sold seperately. For the SC400/300, they are sold seperately. That can be translated into.. the supra oem control arm bushings cannot be replaced.. a whole new arm is needed which is best anyways considering the labour time needed to put in bushings and take the old ones out. so I guess I understand why you want a Lexus arm.. so you can use your bushings you got.. but for the amount of additional labour replacing the bushings.. only to find out the other balljoint will go soon... you may as well sell the bushings and get a Supra control arm.. and another one for the other side either now.. or later ...
ofcourse if your doing the work yourself, have the tools to press in new bushings.. then great!.. but id trade all that time doing so for just the peace of mind of having OEM quality.

one thing you shouldn't cheap out on is your pride and joy... (your car)
Some of us enjoy working on our cars. Removing the old bushings is not hard. In fact, it's easy and pretty fun. Installing new ones is even easier. I finished the install the same day I brought back the LCA from the junkyard. Not sure why you guys are being broken records and keep reiterating the Supra arms like no one has ever heard of them.
Old 05-29-14, 02:46 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sometimes you have more time and energy than money to spend. Most of us have been there! Hope it works out nicely!

Quick Reply: Old style vs new style front LCAs