Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sway bars.. Will they make a noticeable difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 06:01 PM
astromoose
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bars.. Will they make a noticeable difference?

I don't plan on tracking my car anytime soon but I've considered getting sway bars to improve handling. My main concern is not being able to feel a big difference. What I hope to achieve is to reduce body roll... That's it. I would like to able to take reasonable turns without feeling like my car will flip over. Can this be achieved with sway bars alone? Or will I have to also have to upgrade my suspension.

I honestly don't want or plan on adding any more mods if I decide to go with these sway bars. I just want to know if it will be worth the investment.

Oh.. and thoughts about purchasing used sway bars? Would you guys do it?
Old 04-27-14, 06:50 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, they are worth it. I love them

The best description is one I found in the official sway bar thread:

The initial turn in is still a bit soft, but once you are into the cornering the car feels more together and solid.
Old 04-27-14, 07:23 PM
astromoose
Driver School Candidate

I've read around people saying corning is improved but can't tell if these same people are taking hard turns or "normal" turns like on a freeway curve or curvy roads. From what I know, I understand that some suspension/handling mods aren't really felt until you push it around a corner real hard.

Do you notice the difference when even doing simple turns going at a decent speed? I hope all of this makes sense.
Old 04-27-14, 07:38 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by astromoose
I've read around people saying corning is improved but can't tell if these same people are taking hard turns or "normal" turns like on a freeway curve or curvy roads. From what I know, I understand that some suspension/handling mods aren't really felt until you push it around a corner real hard.

Do you notice the difference when even doing simple turns going at a decent speed? I hope all of this makes sense.
Whats a decent speed? ... lol. Personally I think you can feel it ... freeway butterfly ramps, etc - can be taken at much higher speeds
Old 04-27-14, 07:41 PM
astromoose
Driver School Candidate

When I said decent speed I just mean 5, at the most 10 mph over speed limit. But that's what I like hear. Thank you, GiantsFan. Now to find some for a reasonable price... I don't know about shelling out $500 for sways off the sewell site.
Old 04-27-14, 08:32 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

$392 with CL discount

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2007/5408.html

Make sure to register worth your CL username
Old 04-28-14, 12:45 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have driven my IS250 for 2 years without sway bar, then I upgraded IS250 with just one rear sway bar. It is a day and night difference. Whenever I take corner no matter what speed, it will be much more balanced and refined and so so much less body roll.

For this reason, I immediately get the rear sway bar for my IS350 when I got the car.

This is by far the best bang of the buck mod.
Old 04-28-14, 03:46 AM
IS350AWD
Driver

From what I've seen, everybody gets just the rear sway and not the front/rear. Plus, just the rear sway on Sewell is around $175 with CL discount.
Old 04-28-14, 12:04 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I've got just the rear sway bar, and after the initial install I did feel the difference.
Old 04-28-14, 12:10 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you replace the rear sway bar, replace the "rear end links" as well if you have hard time taking the bolt out in there. Always replace the bushing as well.
Old 04-28-14, 12:15 PM
RangerJoe
Driver

I didn't notice much difference on the street with the rear, but I drive pretty easy. I didn't go to the track with the stock rear. Stock vs FSport front, I felt like turn it was a little bit nicer on the track. I felt like it was more prone to throttle over-steer with the FSport though. I'll probably put my front back to stock and sell the FSport one. Not worth it on the street for me.
Old 04-29-14, 11:23 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huge difference with the rear sway bar. I still remember taking a turn right after putting it on, the car felt so much more planted.
Old 04-29-14, 12:26 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
When you replace the rear sway bar, replace the "rear end links" as well if you have hard time taking the bolt out in there. Always replace the bushing as well.
Yes, this! ESPECIALLY if you live up NORTH because those end links will have more than likely rusted up tight and you'll end up (like me) cutting those things off. When you get the new end links, install with anti-seize!
Old 04-30-14, 06:55 AM
stewb10
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
Yes, this! ESPECIALLY if you live up NORTH because those end links will have more than likely rusted up tight and you'll end up (like me) cutting those things off. When you get the new end links, install with anti-seize!
Thirded on this. Don't even bother with the end links. Save yourself the headache.
Old 04-30-14, 07:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

huge difference with both bars

Quick Reply: Sway bars.. Will they make a noticeable difference?