Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F Sport brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 05:38 AM
smnlive
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F Sport brake noise

Recently got F sport bbk installed on my 2is. A month after the installation there was a noise coming from the two front brakes.

Contacted two dealerships and they said it's the brake but they couldn't determine the root cause. I got in touch with stoptech and they said they haven't heard such noise. Did some research and they said due to the f sport bkk being a two piece rotor.

Anyone having problem with F sport bbk?

The sound starts at 0:13 0:28 and 0:36. Sorry for the wind noise.

Old 03-11-14, 06:01 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry, I cant really distinguish the noises but it could be a number of things. I've worked on a lot of bbk for this car and have done endless troubleshooting over the years. First, is the noise when braking (light, soft or hard?) or is it there over bumps or ___? Is it both front sides or just one? Anything while turning the wheel?

Did you do the install or a shop? Did they remove the dust shields and replace with the lexus shim spacers? My first check would be torque specs on the hub where the spacer shims were installed. Next, check the 2 piece rotors if they are used to ensure all 10 bolts are torqued to 8ftlbs. Check the caliper mounting brackets torque as well. Within the calipers themselves you then have to worry about the this;
I'd check here
Old 03-11-14, 06:27 AM
smnlive
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Sorry, I cant really distinguish the noises but it could be a number of things. I've worked on a lot of bbk for this car and have done endless troubleshooting over the years. First, is the noise when braking (light, soft or hard?) or is it there over bumps or ___? Is it both front sides or just one? Anything while turning the wheel?

Did you do the install or a shop? Did they remove the dust shields and replace with the lexus shim spacers? My first check would be torque specs on the hub where the spacer shims were installed. Next, check the 2 piece rotors if they are used to ensure all 10 bolts are torqued to 8ftlbs. Check the caliper mounting brackets torque as well. Within the calipers themselves you then have to worry about the this;
I'd check here
Bought the front set from sewell and had local lexus dealer do the installation. They didn't remove the dust shied. Where can I get this lexus shim spacer? Is it mandatory to have it?

I used to hear it only when I'm backing up (straight) but now the noise occur from soft to medium braking.

Also, I hear clocking sound inside the car when I'm braking.

I spoke to the shop that specialize in bkk as well and was told that he saw it happened on the M5 brakes. Something to do with the hub not flexing enough.
Old 03-11-14, 06:36 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by smnlive
I spoke to the shop that specialize in bkk as well and was told that he saw it happened on the M5 brakes. Something to do with the hub not flexing enough.
^I assume they are referring to the rotor hat being overtorqued and not allowed to expand or float under heat...You shouldn't have to worry if the rotors were brand new and torqued from Stoptech. That issue usually occurs due to improper torque when rotor rings are replaced.

The installer would have had to bend/cut the dustshield if they didn't remove it. It could be as simple as the dustshield making contact with the rotor or knuckle depending on driving conditions. I'd do a detailed check as you will be able to visually spot an issue of that nature.

The shims replace the dustshield function of spacing the hub 2mm out from the knuckle....they are included with the "kit" from lexus who specifically state to remove the dustshield and install the shims.

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2007/2126.html

Last edited by mikellucci; 03-11-14 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-11-14, 07:21 AM
smnlive
Driver School Candidate

My first check would be torque specs on the hub where the spacer shims were installed. Next, check the 2 piece rotors if they are used to ensure all 10 bolts are torqued to 8ftlbs. Check the caliper mounting brackets torque as well;
I'd check here
I'm looking at the installation procedure printed from sewell. Are you referring to the 4 bolts behind the shim?
Old 03-11-14, 07:52 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by smnlive
I'm looking at the installation procedure printed from sewell. Are you referring to the 4 bolts behind the shim?
Yes but if they didn't remove you dust shields / install shims then they wouldn't have removed your hub......
Old 03-11-14, 12:48 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Go figure, a dealership cutting corners.
Old 03-14-14, 12:39 AM
smnlive
Driver School Candidate

Yes but if they didn't remove you dust shields / install shims then they wouldn't have removed your hub......
I took them apart today and indeed they slapped the shim without removing dust shield. Now that the dust shield is gone, what do I need to do? Re-bedded? Should I order new pads?

I can still hear the sharp clacking sound from it but very little to none now.
Old 03-14-14, 12:41 AM
smnlive
Driver School Candidate

Old 03-18-14, 03:10 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

^ I do NOT see the supplied shim in that picture. Theres no telling what is rubbing but it has to be a part of the dust shield with the top section still intact, not bent nor cut either.
Old 03-19-14, 02:25 AM
smnlive
Driver School Candidate

The shim was in there when I took the picture. I removed the dust shield and re-installed it like suppose to.

The noise is still there but not as loud.

It sounds like this youtube video only that my car doesn't make this sound when I'm completely stopped.

Old 03-19-14, 06:21 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

My BBK did come with shims. So I had a welder cut the oem dust shield down aways and we used that. That could be causing some of the noise as the shims u get are smaller then factory ones.
Old 03-19-14, 06:36 AM
smnlive
Driver School Candidate

The shims came with the kit.
Old 03-19-14, 07:28 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

did they install the shims that came with the kit?
Old 03-19-14, 07:31 AM
smnlive
Driver School Candidate

The dealership installed it without removing the dust shields.

I had to remove the dust shield myself and re-installed the shims.

Quick Reply: F Sport brake noise