Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

2005 IS300 Looking for Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 04:23 PM
TStouffer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 IS300 Looking for Upgrades

I just recently purchased a 2005 IS300 and there are some parts i'm looking to upgrade
Looking to buy
-Exhaust (Greddy or HKS) if anybody has any information or recommendations on exhausts please let me know
-Coilovers (was thinking the tein comfort sport) want something that isn't going to be rough to ride around in but also something that will increase my handling capabilities
-Need a drivers side front door lock actuator
-Spare Key
-Headers: do not know of any brands for the IS300's so any information would be great
-Downpipe
-Headunit (already purchased a frame off ebay to fit a new double din, if anybody knows of a good double din touch screen, was thinking pioneer, please share the information)
-Want to make the HID's brighter, had 10,000K's in my wrx, looking for something more along the lines of 8000K's for this, any information on what i'd have to do for that would be great)

I'm a tech at an infinity/volvo dealership so I can do all upgrades on my own
Also looking for any information on tuning these cars, i had my wrx tuned at CBRD with an accessport, i know the lexus' don't use accessports for tuning so any information on tunes would be fantastic

PLEASE SHARE SOME INFORMATION!!!
Old 04-22-14, 02:46 PM
blkaltezza
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on your purchase! The IS300 is a really nice car in my opinion.

For your exhaust, it's all personal preference, but if you're planning on boosting the car you should go with at least a 3 inch exhaust all the way back.

For coilovers, I'm on Stance GR+ and they're perfect for me. Haven't had a single problem with them and with the damper set in the middle from full stiff and soft it rides like stock. It feels alot better and body roll was greatly reduced. Other popular coilovers for the IS300 are the Tein comfort sport as you mentioned, and some others have had good luck with BC Racing, and Fortune Auto FA500s.

For the door lock actuator, I would buy a cheap replacement motor off from ebay. The Mabuchi motors are about $5 and you can switch them out yourself by following the DIY here on the forums. You can find the DIY with a simple search.

The spare keys for our cars are ridiculously expensive. It's $300 for a master key from the dealership, and locksmiths don't want to cut a blank since the metal is harder than typical keys and it'll mess up their cutting machine. You'll just have to bite the bullet for this one.

For headers, the best I seen on the market is the Dezod headers. They were just released not too long ago, and come in two options the greens (with cats) and reds (catless). People have gained about 15whp on the greens alone with no other mods. It's expensive but if you want the best you have pay to play. They also have a group buy discount going on right now, but I'm not sure how much longer it's going to last.

For the headunit, I would make sure you got a Scosche dash kit, the Metra looks cheap in my opinion. As for the headunit itself the Pioneer AppRadio3 is pretty nice, but if you have a iPhone I would get one of their NEX units. They're adding Apple Carplay to the NEX units later this summer so it'll be worth it. If you have a android I would go with the AppRadio since you can use mirrorlink with that. Also make sure to get the Metra TYTO-01 harness to integrate the headunit with your stock system or else you'll have to rewire the entire car and get new speakers as well since the rear speakers won't work with aftermarket headunits.

As for HIDs, the stock IS300 does have stock HIDs from the factory, so I didn't see a need to upgrade them. Maybe another member can chime in about those.

I hope that answers all your questions, and happy modding
Old 04-23-14, 04:39 AM
TStouffer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blkaltezza
Congrats on your purchase! The IS300 is a really nice car in my opinion.

For your exhaust, it's all personal preference, but if you're planning on boosting the car you should go with at least a 3 inch exhaust all the way back.

For coilovers, I'm on Stance GR+ and they're perfect for me. Haven't had a single problem with them and with the damper set in the middle from full stiff and soft it rides like stock. It feels alot better and body roll was greatly reduced. Other popular coilovers for the IS300 are the Tein comfort sport as you mentioned, and some others have had good luck with BC Racing, and Fortune Auto FA500s.

For the door lock actuator, I would buy a cheap replacement motor off from ebay. The Mabuchi motors are about $5 and you can switch them out yourself by following the DIY here on the forums. You can find the DIY with a simple search.

The spare keys for our cars are ridiculously expensive. It's $300 for a master key from the dealership, and locksmiths don't want to cut a blank since the metal is harder than typical keys and it'll mess up their cutting machine. You'll just have to bite the bullet for this one.

For headers, the best I seen on the market is the Dezod headers. They were just released not too long ago, and come in two options the greens (with cats) and reds (catless). People have gained about 15whp on the greens alone with no other mods. It's expensive but if you want the best you have pay to play. They also have a group buy discount going on right now, but I'm not sure how much longer it's going to last.

For the headunit, I would make sure you got a Scosche dash kit, the Metra looks cheap in my opinion. As for the headunit itself the Pioneer AppRadio3 is pretty nice, but if you have a iPhone I would get one of their NEX units. They're adding Apple Carplay to the NEX units later this summer so it'll be worth it. If you have a android I would go with the AppRadio since you can use mirrorlink with that. Also make sure to get the Metra TYTO-01 harness to integrate the headunit with your stock system or else you'll have to rewire the entire car and get new speakers as well since the rear speakers won't work with aftermarket headunits.

As for HIDs, the stock IS300 does have stock HIDs from the factory, so I didn't see a need to upgrade them. Maybe another member can chime in about those.

I hope that answers all your questions, and happy modding
Thank you for the reply, already went ahead and purchased a replacement door lock actuator, the scosche double din dash kit, and the tyto-01 harness. Thanks for the info on the dezod headers, definitely going to purchase them with a full exhaust!!
Old 04-25-14, 12:55 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

As mentioned, the 2005 IS300 has factory HID's in the low beam. It uses a D2R bulb. We do offer 8000K bulbs in this fitment. It would give you a noticeable amount of blue in the light. The higher you go in color temperature the more blue the light gets but the less light output you get.

John