Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Another BC Coilover Rates Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 03:43 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Another BC Coilover Rates Thread!

So I've narrowed the rates down to either 14k/12k or 16k/14k. I'm planning on making the purchase tomorrow night at the latest. I've chosen to pick up BC Racing Extreme Drop Coilovers. So for someone who is going to travel 40mi/day (mostly freeway), what would be ideal. I live in the bay area or San Jose to be more specific and I don't think the roads are so bad. However, I'm having my fenders pulled and rub and I want to sit flush (I hope) without constantly rubbing. I'm new to the scene and don't know anyone who has these coilovers so experiencing them first hand is out of the picture. So if you guys vould share your knowledge, mentioning your spring rates or comparing them to the stock suspension. Thanks a lot!
Old 04-21-14, 12:27 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

For what you'll be doing, I'd say you'll be fine with the 14k/12k setup.
Old 04-21-14, 07:26 PM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

12k/10k would work for you
Old 04-21-14, 08:13 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

I ended up buying 14k/12k but when I asked for the extreme drop (or low) version, he said there's actually no such thing. Got me kinda confused since I see that term everywhere on the forums. You got any inputs?
Old 04-22-14, 07:12 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BC Racing has only 3 types of coilovers depending on the application the BR, RAM, and ER type.

The BR type being the street driving and occasional road course duty (street/light track use)

RAM type being almost the same but with an inverted coilover setup (damper fluid being moved in the coilover, track use only)

The ER type with an additional reservoirs (track/street use all from BC Racing website).

http://www.bcracing-na.com/

EDIT: I checked their applications list for 2013 (which is current to their site), they only over BR type coilovers for the 2IS chassis.

Last edited by knguyenk; 04-22-14 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-22-14, 09:40 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by knguyenk
BC Racing has only 3 types of coilovers depending on the application the BR, RAM, and ER type.

The BR type being the street driving and occasional road course duty (street/light track use)

RAM type being almost the same but with an inverted coilover setup (damper fluid being moved in the coilover, track use only)

The ER type with an additional reservoirs (track/street use all from BC Racing website).

http://www.bcracing-na.com/

EDIT: I checked their applications list for 2013 (which is current to their site), they only over BR type coilovers for the 2IS chassis.
So no such thing as extreme drop kit with smaller struts for is 2nd Gen IS?
Old 04-22-14, 01:39 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoyOhBoy
So no such thing as extreme drop kit with smaller struts for is 2nd Gen IS?
In a nutshell, unfortunately there's no such application for immediate purchase.

However, if you contact the people at Circuit Motorsports (a vendor and sponsor of CL, their username here is CircuitMS) and explain the extreme drop kit to them, they maybe able to special order one with spring rates to your specifications.

Last edited by knguyenk; 04-22-14 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-22-14, 06:15 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Contact FIGS (Mike) as he is a long time vendor and enthusiast that performed extensive testing on various coilovers. He will get you what you're looking for! Figsengineering.com
Old 04-26-14, 03:11 PM
Galvez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so how do you like the ride? if you could order other spring rates would you still have gone with your current set up?
Old 04-26-14, 04:25 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SlapnUup
so how do you like the ride? if you could order other spring rates would you still have gone with your current set up?
It takes 3 weeks for custom orders to arrive. That's why some people prefer buying it used off someone. So I'm just playing the waiting game. I'll let you know when I get it!
Old 04-27-14, 06:01 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Im from the same area as you ... running 10k/8k .... I daily my car so I still want comfort

I feel like your setup might be harsh on our horrible bay area roads ...
Old 04-27-14, 08:36 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Im from the same area as you ... running 10k/8k .... I daily my car so I still want comfort

I feel like your setup might be harsh on our horrible bay area roads ...
How do you like the set up? Ya, I'm going to be on the freeway travelling to school most of the miles. Hopefully it's not too stiff. And I just went over your IG to see if I've spotted your car and noticed you went to an event right next to my house. Nicee. Might run into each other. Did you get your fenders rolled?
Old 04-27-14, 09:46 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh nice lol... What picture was it?
Old 04-28-14, 05:08 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

personally i think if you arent going slammed, then those rates might be kind of harsh for what you want. me personally i want 16k/12k because my car is slammed plus i still want to go about 1/2" lower so to keep from rub and bottoming out those stiff rates are what i need....

but personally i feel like those rates would be perfect on the 2IS. because i have the standard BC coilovers and 10k/8k is far too soft for a 3600lbs car. as low as i am i rub on hard enough dips with as low as i am. next go round i will be gettting the 16k/12k setup and slam out
Old 04-28-14, 07:33 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Oh nice lol... What picture was it?
Pic with you at the HS meet. And ya, I'm trying to sit pretty low. Kinda low

Quick Reply: Another BC Coilover Rates Thread!