Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Torn tie rod boot--replace boot or entire rack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-14, 12:08 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn tie rod boot--replace boot or entire rack?

My passenger side tie rod boot was ripped not too long ago and I'm wondering if I should replace the boot or the entire rack. I remove the 2 clamps and the inner tie rod is still dry inside with no crud or build up but I did notice the ripped part of the boot had some power steering fluid. Does this mean my seals are bad?

I checked my driver side tie rod and it's clean as well with no power steering fluid. I really don't want to change the entire rack because of a stupid boot.
Old 04-18-14, 12:24 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Here are some pictures. I'm wondering if the stuff that smells like power steering fluid could just be the ball joint grease?

Name:  wwq80qF.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  34.5 KB

Name:  xX5dua8.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  41.6 KB

Name:  ghJxhoM.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  43.3 KB
Old 04-18-14, 05:47 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's only two ways that power steering is in that boot. Either there is a leak from the PS pump or lines above, which has dripped down, and leaked inside your ripped boot.

Or the option you don't want to hear. The seal has worn down and you have a rack leak.

More than likely, the second scenario has occurred. A replacement rack is roughly $240-250 and four hours of work with standard hand tools.

If it's the first scenario, it's not much better as you'll have to find the leak and replace a hose or the pump. I wouldn't ignore this for too long.
Old 04-19-14, 10:36 AM
SpooledSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tabaka
There's only two ways that power steering is in that boot. Either there is a leak from the PS pump or lines above, which has dripped down, and leaked inside your ripped boot.

Or the option you don't want to hear. The seal has worn down and you have a rack leak.

More than likely, the second scenario has occurred. A replacement rack is roughly $240-250 and four hours of work with standard hand tools.

If it's the first scenario, it's not much better as you'll have to find the leak and replace a hose or the pump. I wouldn't ignore this for too long.
Hit nail right on the head.

Replace rack and be done with it.
Old 04-22-14, 07:24 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka

This^^^