Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need new inner tie rods..what else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 02:08 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Need new inner tie rods..what else?

Hello! So as the title says I need new inner tie rods. I've got horrible play and random veering in my steering wheel at all speeds. Just a few questions for everyone to have a look at...

- Which inner tie rods do you all recommend?
- What else should I consider replacing in the immediate area while doing this job? I'm going to have a Mercedes dealership garage at my disposal for a weekend night with some tech friends of mine so I'm thinking this may be a good time to replace anything else while I can. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

Best,
Ashtray
Old 04-13-14, 04:10 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Get some Battle Version inner and outer tie rods. If you havent already replaced the bushings, replace the steering rack bushings.
Old 04-15-14, 09:13 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Okay so I've found the BV inner and outer tie rods. On their website they have solid aluminum rack mounts...are these what you're talking about? COMPLETELY new to these components. While I'm getting the inner tie rods done it would be a cool time to maybe mix it up. Any opinions?

I wouldn't mind a more solid steering feel...if that helps in directing me in my research.

edit: I can't find the Daizen bushings kit anymore...I know those have not been done on my car so I am looking for those now. What are these??? "Solid Aluminum Rack Mounts"?? They're at the very bottom of the SC300/400 page of battle version.

Last edited by ashtray; 04-15-14 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-15-14, 09:49 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rack mounts are just the steering rack bushings. if you look under the car from the front of the car, I think you'll see 2 big bolts holding the rack onto the front crossmember. On one side (pass side?) is a band-type bushing which the bver kit doesn't replace, but the other side has 2 bolts (one is hiding inside the crossmember that can be accessed from under) that go through the bushings you'd replace with the aluminum mounts. I also may very well be making all this up since it's been a while since I did mine so please don't fork me to death for lying.

They do tighten up the feel but i've also heard the lack of play may result in vibrations at speed. I do believe there are daizen alternatives if you want to go the polyurethane route but I'd really just check your rack w/ a prybar to see if it actually needs new bushings. It's not a difficult process so you can probably do it anytime.

Last edited by ArodDaLob; 04-15-14 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-15-14, 11:12 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ashtray
can't find the Daizen bushings kit anymore...I know those have not been done on my car so I am looking for those now. What are these??? "Solid Aluminum Rack Mounts"?? They're at the very bottom of the SC300/400 page of battle version.
I bought my steering rack bushing kit off ebay. I believe the company for the bushings were called ricochet. I would offer up my old ones, since I bought a used rack with bushing already, but it has 2 yrs of driving on it plus I have a power steering leak.
Old 04-16-14, 09:33 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

If you have an inch or more of play in your wheel its def the rack bushings. I have replaced them on almost all of the SC's I have ever owned with the poly ones, if they are not available I would just go with the aluminum ones but not sure what negatives of steering feel there will be. generally the less the rack moves the better for handling.

Rack bushings - Lower control arms/bushings - shock mounts. These all tend to wear out with age pretty consistently.
Old 04-16-14, 10:03 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Is your steering rack leaking or are any of the boots torn? If so I would consider replacing the entire steering rack with a remanufactured unit. It'll come with new rack rubber rack bushings and inner tie rods.

For poly steering rack bushings your options are Super Pro (sold by figs engineering) or whiteline. Daizen has been out of business for a while now.
Old 04-21-14, 09:13 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

It does have about an inch of play in it. It is NOT leaking so thats good. What boots are you talking about being torn? I have coil overs.
Old 04-22-14, 05:13 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

what is the conclusion about causing vibrations at speed?
I need to replace my bushings and am between the aluminum and poly
sorry to thread jack, but it makes more sense to ask here than start a new thread
Old 04-22-14, 03:55 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

It does have about an inch of play in it. It is NOT leaking so thats good. What boots are you talking about being torn? I have coil overs.
He means the boots on the steering rack. Steering rack having play.....someone else should chime in, but to me that just sounds like you didn't secure the steering wheel when trying that 😉
Old 04-22-14, 04:30 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

I have not tried anything so I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "sounds like you didn't secure the steering wheel when trying that"

edit: I will check the boots though but there has not been a single drop of anything under any of my parking spots.
Old 04-22-14, 04:48 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

I have not tried anything so I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "sounds like you didn't secure the steering wheel when trying that"

edit: I will check the boots though but there has not been a single drop of anything under any of my parking spots.
ie the rack has "play" because the steering wheel is moving when you move it. Like how you turn the steering wheel to turn the wheels, but the other way around.
Old 04-22-14, 05:12 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

I kind of get what you're saying. Still deciding on what exactly I need. I know for sure the inners need changing. Other than that I'm up in the air as to what else to get.
Old 04-22-14, 07:22 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say if everything is good and no leaks or play just replace the inner tie rods along with new rubber boots

Last edited by Joey-E; 04-22-14 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-27-14, 09:09 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I was referring to the boots that cover the inner tie rods. When the steering rack gets old the seal can go bad and leak inside of the boot. It doesn't necessarily leak on to the ground. If there is fluid inside of your steering rack boots I would recommend replacing the entire unit with a remanufactured one.