Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LS400 BBK Install Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-14, 10:01 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 BBK Install Trouble

Working on installing my LS400 front calipers and ran into a small speed bump.. Everyone says it's all a bolt on deal after removing the dust shield and spacing a caliper bolt but the issue I'm having is the brake lines don't bolt up. The nipple that is suppose to go into the caliper and keep the line from rotating will not line up for me? Is this normal or are my brake lines possibly replacements? Is this what everyone else's fittings look like?
Attached Thumbnails LS400 BBK Install Trouble-image-2899427676.jpg  
Old 04-10-14, 09:01 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Moved to brakes and suspension subsection.
please try and use the proper sub-forum in the future.

The nipple on the stock brake lines does not fit into the spot on the ls400 calipers like it does on the stock calipers. What I did and everyone else does is turn it slightly so the nipple is out of the way, and then bolt it down.
The nipple is not necessary and once you torque them properly they don;t really move, well at least mine have not and I have had the ls400 calipers and the stock brake lines for quite a while now.

Also note the aftermarket brake lines, do not have that nipple, its more of a factory overkill thing.
Old 04-10-14, 11:44 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

go steel braided lines.. nipple doesnt mean anything just line it up in a way that it wont move or interfere and tighten it up properly.
Old 04-10-14, 07:14 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

Sweet thanks guys!
Old 04-29-14, 07:35 AM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by es30000000
Working on installing my LS400 front calipers and ran into a small speed bump.. Everyone says it's all a bolt on deal after removing the dust shield and spacing a caliper bolt but the issue I'm having is the brake lines don't bolt up. The nipple that is suppose to go into the caliper and keep the line from rotating will not line up for me? Is this normal or are my brake lines possibly replacements? Is this what everyone else's fittings look like?
so i understand that remoivng the dust shield is a must but what does it mean to "SPACE" the calipers. Like installing washers between the caliper and bolts to get the correct gap. The second part is how do you know how many "spacers" / washers to intsall to get correct fitment? I am currently collecting parts to do my LS400 BBK and did not know you needed to space the calipers. Im sure someone has pics of the install on thier SC right? Just trying to get an idea since i will be doing these myself along with the SS lines.. any pointers are welcome lol

oh and one other question, When you look up the rear calipers for the LS400 there is two different sets.. one up to 6/97 and the other 7/97 and older.. Does it matter what calipers or do they both fit?

Last edited by Aswilley; 04-29-14 at 07:40 AM. Reason: spelling, missing question
Old 04-29-14, 09:14 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

the bolts are too long, so you add washers to take up the extra length. its not difficult.
what I would recommend instead is to just get a pair of the ls400 bolts and you wont have to do that, which is what I did. you need 2 ls ones, and you reuse 2 of the SC ones without any spacing.

you need the front calipers for the LS400 brake updrade on the SC. the rear calipers do not work on an SC as far as I know.
Old 04-29-14, 03:20 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
the bolts are too long, so you add washers to take up the extra length. its not difficult.
what I would recommend instead is to just get a pair of the ls400 bolts and you wont have to do that, which is what I did. you need 2 ls ones, and you reuse 2 of the SC ones without any spacing.

you need the front calipers for the LS400 brake updrade on the SC. the rear calipers do not work on an SC as far as I know.
Thanks for the good info on this Ali. I figured washers would fix the gap problem but didnt know if there were other DIY fixes for Spacing. Nice to have the pointers to get the two LS bolts too. Should save some time now when it comes to install time .. I hadn't done enough research yet to know if the rears would fit so it is nice to to have another view to back my theroys.

Now my next question is if the LS Rears dont fit what are people running for rear upgrades? the TT supra's? or at that point are they just going with full TT Supra Calipers all around or aftermarket kits like willwood and stoptech?
Old 04-29-14, 09:50 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Aswilley
Now my next question is if the LS Rears dont fit what are people running for rear upgrades? the TT supra's? or at that point are they just going with full TT Supra Calipers all around or aftermarket kits like willwood and stoptech?
Yes; all of those from what I have read....
Old 04-30-14, 08:49 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Aswilley
People do all of these. I would recommend getting TT calipers all around. I originally got LS fronts and supra TT rears, and I noticed the TT rears rotors are actually bigger than the LS front rotors, so I'll be switching to supra TT brakes all around in the future. The supra TT brakes also offers a larger selection of performance brake pads (something the LS brakes are missing).
Old 04-30-14, 09:13 AM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I originally got LS fronts and supra TT rears, and I noticed the TT rears rotors are actually bigger than the LS front rotors, so I'll be switching to supra TT brakes all around in the future.
That was the big question for me lol. I wanted a little better stopping power but I fugure just save the few extra hundred dollars and go with TT's all around. How is the fitment and how easy are they to install? Direct bolt up like the LS's or do you need mounting brackets? Finally, isnt it necessary to run 17" or 18" rims to clear?
Old 04-30-14, 09:24 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

The front are a direct bolt on. I haven't done the rears yet, but they should be a direct bolt on too. Only thing is the dust shields will have to be cut or completely removed (which is standard for any brake upgrade). Yes, it is necessary to run a 17" or 18" wheel. The supra comes with 17" wheels stock. I have 18's from an IS350 on my car, and it will require a 5mm spacer to clear the supra tt caliper in the front.
Old 04-30-14, 10:28 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

TT supra and LS both will bolt on to the front with their respective rotors.
I like the LS brakes because they are much much lighter and have most of the stopping power, but some like the TT as they have that slight edge in performance. That being said the LS400 brakes can still lock up my front end very reliably even after multiple stops, even with regular pads. If it were a road car I would go LS400 to save weight and still have great stopping power, if it were a car that sees track duty I would lean towards the supra TT fronts as they will brake more times without fading in competitive usage.

for the rear most use the supra TT rears, doesn't matter if you have LS or supra brakes up front, they will help.
Old 04-30-14, 11:11 AM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Sounds like I'll just be running the LS's up front then Ali. I plan on keeping it looking as stock as possible minus FMIC and Rims eventually lol.. Do you know if the stock Chrome 16" rims will clear the LS brakes. I have a lead right now to get a reman set of fronts for $70.00 so this little project might move along faster then I thought.
Old 04-30-14, 11:31 AM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

This picture is rather old but....yeah, LS brakes are pretty sufficient.
Old 05-22-14, 07:53 PM
grm405
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post

"Do you know if the stock Chrome 16" rims will clear the LS brakes."

No. They will not.

Gerry

Quick Reply: LS400 BBK Install Trouble