Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RS*R Super Downs Installed (tons of info)

Old 04-01-14, 06:47 AM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RS*R Super Downs Installed (tons of info)

I installed Super Down springs on my RWD 350 F-sport last weekend and wanted to share some thoughts, information, and pictures.

The drop - measured from the floor to the fender:
front left = 24.68 (2.13 drop)
front right = 24.75 (2.18 drop)
rear left = 24.56 (1.75 drop)
right rear = 24.68 (1.75 drop)

Suspension travel - I took the springs out of the car and raised the suspension to check the max suspension travel. This is the point where the bump stops are fully compressed far enough to raise the car. After taking a few measurements, the front suspension has .75 travel from static height to max suspension travel and the rear has 1.25. Keep in mind, this is not to the point where the bump stops hit, but to the point where the bump stops are fully compressed. BTW - the bump stops are on the shock assembly. RSR does not recommend cutting the bump stops.

When looking at the Super Down vs Down spring specs, I was shocked the SD springs had a softer rate. I called RSR and asked about this and they said the specs are correct. I commented that it didn't make sense for a shorter springs to have a softer rate, however, I believe that I understand what's going on. Due to the info listed in the previous paragraph, I'm certain that the bump stops are in full contact all the time which in turn makes them act like a spring. This would be a reason why the SD springs are softer than the down springs. I might be completely wrong, but it's my theory. I could have verified that by taking a few more measurement, but it's too late now.

Alignment
There is no camber adjustment on the front or rear of the RWD cars. I subscribed to the Toyota Tech Info System (TIS) and it's stated plain and simple. There is, however, camber adjustment in the front for the AWD cars. So, all I had to do was check and adjust the toe which made the alignment process a lot easier. My rear toe was in spec after the drop (shocker), but the front needed to be adjusted.

front camber = 1.7 and 1.7
rear camber = 2.4 and 2.6
I don't like the rear camber but the only way to fix it is to raise the car.....that sucks!

My thoughts:
The drop looks absolutely bad a$$!!!! The ride isn't too harsh, but I'm not going to say more about that until I've put more miles on the car. I don't like the scenario of riding on the bump stops (if that is the case), and I don't like the rear camber.

My setup:
Stance SC-6 wheels with Conti DW tires
235/35/19 on 8.5+35 wheels
265/30/19 on 9.5+40 wheels
Here is some info about tire sizes I posted yesterday. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...wered-3is.html

Last but not least:

Last edited by jaznraz; 04-01-14 at 07:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jaznraz:
4Infiniti (07-30-20), Alonzo3000 (04-12-20)
Old 04-01-14, 07:07 AM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great! I just ordered my springs yesterday and can't wait to get them installed! I had to get the down springs because i am going to be running 20" wheels and I don't want to modify my fenders to prevent rubbing
Old 04-01-14, 09:53 AM
bruteshot2
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice drop and wheels jaznraz!
Old 04-01-14, 05:18 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks good! I really like those wheels!
Old 04-01-14, 06:27 PM
FyaIS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any rubbing issues with that tire and wheel set-up??
Old 04-02-14, 04:12 AM
jaznraz
Driver

Originally Posted by FyaIS350
any rubbing issues with that tire and wheel set-up??
No rubbing in the rear even at full suspension travel - the tires will not hit the fenders. The front tire just barely rubs the fender liner at full suspension travel. Here is a post that talks more in depth about that. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...wered-3is.html

During actual driving, I've only noticed the front rubbing when pulling out of my driveway. Since my driveway is sort of steep, I have to position the car at an angle to keep the front end from dragging and when doing this, it compresses the suspension heavily on one corner and causes the slightest rub.
Old 04-02-14, 10:01 AM
viNz86
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is badass! thank you for sharing the information...can''t wait to install mine!
Old 04-02-14, 05:49 PM
FyaIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by jaznraz
No rubbing in the rear even at full suspension travel - the tires will not hit the fenders. The front tire just barely rubs the fender liner at full suspension travel. Here is a post that talks more in depth about that. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...wered-3is.html

During actual driving, I've only noticed the front rubbing when pulling out of my driveway. Since my driveway is sort of steep, I have to position the car at an angle to keep the front end from dragging and when doing this, it compresses the suspension heavily on one corner and causes the slightest rub.
sweet! just lowered mine on the super-downs also...love em! perfect drop in my opinion! mind sharing your wheel set-up as im lookin for the proper fit and urs looks really good! LOL
Old 04-02-14, 09:20 PM
spotxc
Pit Crew

Received 125 Likes on 37 Posts

Car is looking sharp bud!...I like! That drop really is perfect
Old 04-06-14, 06:38 PM
jaznraz
Driver

I guess that I'm rubbing more than I thought on the front. This shows where the tire has started to wear down the liner. BUMMER.

I'm also not enjoying the ride. I can definitely feel that the front suspension only has .75" of travel. BUMMER. I think my days on Super Down's may be numbered.
Old 04-07-14, 07:51 AM
asapcolin
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jaznraz
I guess that I'm rubbing more than I thought on the front. This shows where the tire has started to wear down the liner. BUMMER.

I'm also not enjoying the ride. I can definitely feel that the front suspension only has .75" of travel. BUMMER. I think my days on Super Down's may be numbered.
Is the ride too stiff for you? Love the way your car looks and i was thinking about doing the super downs, but i don't want to rub too much when i eventually do some 19's... what alternative were you thinking about doing?
Old 04-07-14, 08:19 AM
jaznraz
Driver

I wouldn't say that the spring rates are too stiff but when you hit a large dip (or bump), the front suspension only travels .75" and then it fully compresses the bump stops which creates a solid stop. When this happens it causes the front of the car to stop moving downward and then rebound quickly which creates a "porpoise" effect. For reference, the stock suspension has nearly 3" of travel before it fully compresses the bump stops. Its not a terrible feeling, but I don't really like it.

Agreed - the drop looks great. I'm currently looking at other springs (less drop) and coilovers as an option.
Old 04-07-14, 08:25 AM
fiendskill
Rookie

Would either adding more camer or a smaller tire like 225, you think help in lessening the damage to the fender in that part?
Old 04-07-14, 08:35 AM
larry13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rsr coils... you wont regret it :-)
Old 04-07-14, 01:11 PM
asapcolin
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the info. I prefer the drop of the super downs more than the regular downs and other springs out right now, but i want to run 19s when i eventually get some wheels. i was also wondering if possibly a 225 up front would help with the rubbing since its stretched a little more. i'm not sure if i want to pick up the rsr coilovers just because i had coilovers on my last car, and it rode super stiff, where the lexus stock rides so much better and don't want to lose the ride quality completely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS*R Super Downs Installed (tons of info)